Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Merge Mechanics

Post subject: Merge Mechanics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I think the large majority agrees that merging should only occur when an uncontrolled swarm is absorbed by a controlled swarm. It also seems to be the consensus that an absorbed swarm should count as destroyed for victory conditions (BTS and tiebreak points). Finally, everyone seems to agree that merged swarms carry all the BMs of both.

That leaves the 3 issues of range for merging, timing of merging, and merging broken swarms.

Range choices:
Everything from the absorbed swarm withing 15cm of a synapse creature
Absorbed swarm in normal formation coherency

Timing choices:
End phase only
During the turn (presumably ending any further actions, similar to WE boarding)

Merging Broken Swarms:
Merge normally, take all BMs (one per unit)
No merging until the broken swarm rallies

=========

I prefer normal formation coherency because it sounds like it would be the fastest and easiest to determine. One measurement and you're done.

In the interest of lowering any BTS/tiebreak trickery to the minimum, I would go for merge during the turn. If it happens at the end of a formation's action, the Nid player has to decide before knowing the full outcome of the turn and the opponent would theoretically have an opportunity to react prior to end phase counting of goals or points. Merging in the end phase would allow the Nid opponent to assess the situation in detail and make an optimized decision without the opponent having any recourse.

I personally favor letting the swarms merge even when broken and just add the BMs. It's simple and, to me, reflects the synapse re-asserting control from the Hive Mind in keeping with the background.

If you did an in-turn merge and restricted broken swarms from merging, the net effect restricts merging in an important way. A broken swarm would have to go through at least one end phase (and successfully rally) before it could merge. The main drawback is that it's a fiddly way to work in a restriction. My preference would be to keep it clean and try to balance it before working in a back-door mechanic like that.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Merge Mechanics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I personally favor letting the swarms merge even when broken and just add the BMs. It's simple and, to me, reflects the synapse re-asserting control from the Hive Mind in keeping with the background.

Something to watch out for: Depending on the implementation, you could get oddities where people could move a small swarm with some BM's on it, leave a unit or two behind to break itself, end up moving 75cm in total with 15cm move units, and then join a larger swarm (Bringing it above half strength, or whatever). Very gamey.

For that reason, it may be best to work only with swarms that aren't broken, or something... My point is that I don't think you'd have to work hard to get some odd behaviours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:41 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Evil and Chaos wrote:
people could move a small swarm with some BM's on it, leave a unit or two behind to break itself, end up moving 75cm in total with 15cm move units, and then join a larger swarm (Bringing it above half strength, or whatever). Very gamey.
... My point is that I don't think you'd have to work hard to get some odd behaviours.

I actually think that would be pretty hard to pull off with uncontrolled swarms and lots of Expendable units, but I agree there are some potential issues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nealhunt wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
people could move a small swarm with some BM's on it, leave a unit or two behind to break itself, end up moving 75cm in total with 15cm move units, and then join a larger swarm (Bringing it above half strength, or whatever). Very gamey.
... My point is that I don't think you'd have to work hard to get some odd behaviours.

I actually think that would be pretty hard to pull off with uncontrolled swarms and lots of Expendable units, but I agree there are some potential issues.

Don't brood units lose Expendable if there's no Synapse in the swarm?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
nealhunt wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
... My point is that I don't think you'd have to work hard to get some odd behaviors.

Don't brood units lose Expendable if there's no Synapse in the swarm?

Currently in 9.2.X, yes I think? But I rather just see Basic or All Brood Creatures just gain the Expandable in their profile.

Range- I think if part of the merging formation makes coherency then to the new swarm then they should be good. I don't think every unit has to be next to a unit in the New swarm or Synapse unit.

Timing- I think it should be in the End Phase sometime. Either after or before rallies but in the End phase. This makes players have to position there formations to be able to pickup at the end instead of driving by and picking them up on the way somewhere.

BM- If they got they keep em'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would also go with using coherency as the easiest means, bearing in mind that could still result in units being out of (synapse) control at the end of the turn and removed anyway. The only slight anomaly here being that until this happens at the end of the turn, the merged swarm has become artificially large.

I agree merging should be allowed during the turn, and obviously the 'merged' formation may not activate once this happens under the same restrictions as WE transport. And for simplicity all BMs go across onto the 'merged' formation synapse group.

Finally, I think it should be made clear the by definition an 'uncontrolled' swarm must have lost all its Synapses before it can merge into another swarm (which I think would be very hard to engineer).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Could Synapse creatures detach from their current swarm to pick up the loose ones instead?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
Could Synapse creatures detach from their current swarm to pick up the loose ones instead?

No...that wouldn't be KISS. People are against reorganizing. You can only pick up "the stray dog" brood creatures. Plus then your upping the activation count also.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

During the turn, normal coherency, no further actions that turn, broken formations can't merge.

That's my preferences.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Here's what Onachus is using:

Quote:
Special Rule: Synapse Swarms

If all of a Synapse Swarm's synapse units are destroyed then it has an initiative of 3+, may not capture or contest objectives, and counts as completely destroyed for the purposes of tiebreak.

In the End phase, after rallying and spawning, Synapse Swarms with at least one synapse unit can absorb other formations comprised completely of brood units. In order to be absorbed all the units in a formation must be within 15cm of a synapse unit from the absorbing formation.

The absorbing formation takes on all the Blast markers of the absorbed formation. Broken formations count as having as many Blast markers as units (see EA 1.13.4). If, after absorbing a formation, a formation has a number of Blast markers equal to or greater than the number of units in it, it becomes broken.

Once absorbed the formations are treated as a single formation. Brood units from the absorbed formation may be spawned back to the absorbing formation. The absorbed formation is considered destroyed for the purposes of victory conditions.

I tied it to synapse creature death to abstractly represent synapse control. In the fluff/40k, leaderless brood creatures retreat to the closest synapse creature. Rather than write a rule to that effect the reduction in initiative and inability to do anything objective wise is meant to give a strong incentive for a player to absorb the formation.

I allowed it only in the end phase to ensure no unit gets to activate twice. If we allowed it in the action phase a swarm could loose its synapse, break, withdraw to another unit, be absorbed and then activate again.

I used 15cm of a synapse creature instead of coherency with their formation as a way to represent synapse range as well.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Doing it in the end phase still allows you to voluntarily break a formation during the turn, get 45-75cm of movement to meet up with the swarm you want to join, in order to prep for an assault the following turn, or bring a formation above half strength for tie breaks, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[quote="zombocom"]During the turn, normal coherency, no further actions that turn, broken formations can't merge.
quote]

I will be playtesting this in two up and coming games this and next week, one at 3-4 and the other at 5k. Brief batreps about all findings will be posted.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:26 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Dave wrote:
If, after absorbing a formation, a formation has a number of Blast markers equal to or greater than the number of units in it, it becomes broken.

The absorbed formation can't bring more BMs than units, so it will never change the status of the absorbing formation.

Quote:
I allowed it only in the end phase to ensure no unit gets to activate twice. If we allowed it in the action phase a swarm could loose its synapse, break, withdraw to another unit, be absorbed and then activate again.

It may still be simplest to put it in the end phase, but I don't think double activation is a driving reason. WE boarding restricts this successfully and the Nid merge version would be more straightforward than the WE transport rules, e.g. "Once swarms merge, the resulting formation may take no further action during the turn."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

nealhunt wrote:
The absorbed formation can't bring more BMs than units, so it will never change the status of the absorbing formation.

Noted.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Merging Swarms could be a part of the Marshal action.
It could even be a choice between removing Blastmarkers or merging individual units from the Synapseless Swarm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next