Login |  Register |  FAQ

Fluff for new factions

Post subject: Fluff for new factions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I'm quite fond of the idea of introducing new factions into Epic to support minis from suppliers other than GW. I'm thinking here of Onslaught Miniatures, Exodus Wars, Microworld and Plasmablast. I would have included Troublemaker and Angel Barracks in this list but I feel their range of miniatures could provide excellent proxies to existing forces and currently don't require a new faction to be designed. I hope this does not cause undue offence to those fine companies because it is not intended as an insult and their products are very fine indeed.

This thread is for anyone who fancies having a stab at writing up fluff for any new factions. Obviously this may not be to the taste of the 40k purist, but it's just a bit of fun intended to make use of otherwise unsupported lines.

I have some ideas for Plasmablast's Progenitor line, but working on that one...

I'll be setting up a similar thread for rules for these forces in the Net Epic Army lists. E:A players are obviously welcome to follow suit!

EDIT: The ever reliable Primarch has already set up a thread for these kind of army lists:
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=25679

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Last edited by The Bissler on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fluff for new factions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The problem I see here is that don't those manufacturer's already have some fluff for their factions? I know deacon has a section on the Onslaught website with basic background info for his factions. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes and contradict the creator's plans for something.

Rules on the other hand. deacon has said many times that he plans to develop a ruleset for his models, which means he himself probably isn't going to produce stats for other systems and so that is free game. As you said though, rules are another thread.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I didn't do any research. I raised this thread mostly as a reaction to not being able to find any fluff on the Plasmablast site, if some of the providers have fluff then the problem is sorted. Come to think of it, I'd be amazed if Exodus Wars doesn't have similar background information.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd suggest staying away from other peoples fluff.

However creating army lists for your favorite game system: SWING AWAY! :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm couldn't we create a new race / faction and use let's say OL minis or whatever suite that purpose? I don't see anything wrong in that

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

now that's a totally different story, L-S

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, you're probably right LS, think that is the way to go! Jay-Z, thanks for invoking Jack Nicholson to illustrate the point. It wasn't Willem Dafoe which is disappointing but nicely made in any event!

So, here's to allowing our imaginations run riot!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

One of the cool things about the 40k universe is that there are many system that are outside Imperial rule. Human colonies that are not retrograde in technology.

The Imperium usually wins by attrition (massive amounts of men and materiel). It would not be unheard of to have some pan-human system that is now being accessible due to warp storms waning that have emerge with superior technology, or equivalent.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's something I'm already thinking about, Psypher mentioned something similar on the Epic 40K Players Page on fb...watch this space! ;)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
That's something I'm already thinking about, Psypher mentioned something similar on the Epic 40K Players Page on fb...watch this space! ;)

Hurry up...we're watching and waiting ;) ;D

Can be found on:
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Battlescenedesigns
http://www.battlescenedesigns.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All right, but bear in mind that my knowledge of 40k is sketchy at best. Forum members should feel free to make changes and improve this...

The Exiles

During the Dark Age of Technology, Terra fought against the Iron Men, human constructed robots who turned against their masters. Sensing their fellow humans were beginning to blame them for the war, Terra's greatest scientific minds hatched a plan to escape persecution before it was too late. They decided to group together and venture off into deep space to start again.

Their ship, which they nicknamed "The Ark", was hastily kitted out with over 2,000 cryogenic chambers and a huge supercomputer known as PAL. The technologists poured as much of their research into PAL's mainframe as they could during their hasty prepping of the ship. Once they were assembled they took off and prepared themselves for the jump into Warp Space.

But on leaving Terran space, The Ark was challenged by a battle cruiser. As the ship jumped into Warp Space, a volley of shots struck the vessel and - unbeknownst to the crew - severely damaged PAL's data banks. The passengers went into hyper sleep believing that they would emerge in a distant but quiet sector of the galaxy where they believed they could start their lives anew without threat from mankind. They certainly achieved the latter, but when they dropped out of Warp Space they found themselves in an uncharted sector of the universe. Worse still, they realised the extent of the damage PAL had sustained; it was a miracle that they had emerged from the Warp unscathed. They were stranded.

Overcoming the initial shock and panic that the situation wrought upon the passengers, they quickly set themselves the task of finding a world to inhabit. It didn't take them long to find one, and although it wasn't a forgiving environment, they landed The Ark and set about terraforming. Thus was New Terra born, and it was at this time that they labelled themselves as "The Exiles". Despite the fact that this was a self-imposed exile, they resented humanity for forcing them into this position, an anger they passed on to later generations.

The Ark became the central hub of the city of Spero which was built around the transport. The survivors repaired much of the damage PAL had sustained and the supercomputer became a benevolent servant to its creators.

But all was not well in this new garden of Eden. A snake dwelt in the garden: one of the colonists had been possessed by a daemonic creature during the trip through warp space. Through generations, the cunning daemon survived by moving from host to host and waited until the time was right to make its move.

The technologists made a breakthrough in their modifications to PAL and were confident that they could now attempt to use Warp Space travel. The daemon took its chance and used the Warp Drive to open a portal to the warp on New Terra. Horrific abominations spilled forth and the world was gripped by a war for survival.

Fortunately, the technologists were well versed in building machines of war... They fought a long and bloody war against the hordes of Chaos and triumphed - but at a terrible cost. PAL was destroyed as was most of their records. They could no longer use Warp Travel. What they did still have were their war machines. They built many more so that any future attack to their home world could be quickly subdued, hopefully without the same cost that the war against Chaos had wrought.

All of this happened over 15 millennia ago. The Exiles quietly expanded through their corner of the galaxy, terraforming new worlds as their populations grew ever larger. The original Exiles are long since dead, but their descendants are still highly intelligent and have technology which is far superior to that of the Imperium.

Terra had long since forgotten them. With their rediscovery of Warp Drive technology, The Exiles are ready to remind humanity of their lost people. But they do not come in peace. Their leaders want to fight a guerrilla war against the Imperium and make humanity suffer as they made them suffer...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thoughts?

Oh, all of this is with these Plasmablast minis in mind; http://www.plasmablastgames.com/images/ ... 080_15.JPG

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Thoughts?

Oh, all of this is with these Plasmablast minis in mind; http://www.plasmablastgames.com/images/ ... 080_15.JPG

Very good! At the point you mentioned the daemon, i thought it was going to influence the technology to create a evil hybrid of the race. How wrong was I! :) I like the idea of the guerrilla war against Terra...but with a large force accumulated and spread through their colonised system, waiting for any one to launch an attack on them. They could almost be a higher form of the Mechanicim, but less robotic? Could PAL be the great missing technological link the Mechanicum are after, holding all the secrets of the Dark age they strive to find?

Once again, very good! You just need to do an army list now :)

Can be found on:
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Battlescenedesigns
http://www.battlescenedesigns.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, I like your idea about letting PAL survive! This could replace my initial idea (which was a bit weak) that the Exiles want revenge against the Imperium. It makes much more sense for the story to be that the Imperium have heard a legend about PAL and the lost technology. It gives them a very good reason to want to invade the Exiles' galaxy to recover the data! In turn, with the Exiles being attacked, they might want to strike out at some Imperial worlds in response...

I didn't want their technology influenced by Chaos as I love the design of the Plasmablast vehicles and don't want to mess with that. The Chaos subplot was simply an explanation for the fact that The Exiles have built a formidible army. Without that war, you would expect them to want to live quietly and develop peaceful technologies.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you are just looking for a reason for them to have built a military, instead of chaos you could have the world they settled on be a Necron tomb world. Such worlds are noted in the fluff as being mostly barren, inhospitable places but capable of supporting life, and they frequently look harmless at first glance, it is only when intruders disturb the stasis vaults that Necrons might awaken and attack. Necrons are also a pure science army and might reinforce the more sci-fi theme you want. It also avoids the 40K cliche of "chaos did it".

Additional fluff note, the 40K universe is pretty much entirely limited to the Milky Way galaxy. If you want them to be interacting with the Imperium of Man, and want to stay even remotely accurate to the established background (and maybe you don't?) they need to still be somewhere in this galaxy.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....