Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Total War] Scenario - Break Out

Post subject: [Total War] Scenario - Break Out
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Envelopment is just another way of saying "I love you."

Take a look and let me know what you think!

Attachments:
Scenario - Break Out.pdf [404.3 KiB]
Downloaded 416 times

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: [Total War] Scenario - Break Out
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Breakout: ditch the whole defender loses a random formation crap. that's just annoying and depending on the list, could absolutely make the game unplayable (marine picket with battle titan build for instance). Just make it an optional Omega style variant IMHO.

The very first line of EPIC: Total War is this: "War isn't fair.", but wargaming is supposed to be fun.

Due to the incredible number of armies out there and the differences in composition and match-ups, there are definitely going to be lop-sided games using non-mirrored scenarios (heck, this even happens in mirrored scenarios!).

Now, just to be clear, in the Break Out scenario the defender loses access to a full third of their army before the game begins! The scenario represents an envelopment attempt by the attacker against a vulnerable foe, so if both forces have their full army, the advantage is strongly with the defender as the attacker has to split their army into the two arms of the pincer, so a full defender force could just focus on the "weaker" attacker half and probably dominate it, which is also "not that fun". As to why the out-of-play contingent is chosen randomly, again, because this is supposed be a tough position for the defender to be in and, in my mind, a force getting enveloped isn't always going to have the best tools handy to try and get out.

I could probably let go of the random element, but I strongly believe the defender force needs to be "weaker" than the attacker; personally, I like the challenge of trying to win, or at least not lose too badly, with a sub-optimal army.

Thoughts?

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

it's more simple to point cost differently when you need asymmetry.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
it's more simple to point cost differently when you need asymmetry.

That will be discussed in the text, but the basic usage of these scenarios is for two people to show up at a venue with 3000 point armies and be able to play with the models they have without having to change things or have multiple lists if they just decide off the cuff to play something different.

The contingents special rule is used in lots of places like this to give asymmetry with relative ease. ; some times the player will be able to pick, sometimes it's the opponent, and sometimes it's random... adds to the challenge I've found and I love having to make hard choices about what to put where!

In a tournament situation using alternate scenarios I'd recommend a "dual list" approach with a player using the same army list to make an "Attacker" army and a "Defender" army, from which they can choose each round of the tournament. Some players may just bring one list or two radically different lists as they desire.