Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Epic: Mechanicus Supplement - Revive it!

Post subject: Re: Epic: Mechanicus Supplment - Revive it!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Battlereport is up: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=26695

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I meant to point something like this out too but hadn't got round to it. There would probably be hundreds of thousands of forge worlds in the galaxy, many of them with titan legions and we know there's a lot of variation between forge worlds from the official background.

In an ideal world it might only include one, but having multiple lists in and having the supplement in is WAY better than not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Moscovian wrote:
I don't want to go off thread, but I will probably reprint the older supplements when the next supplement (whichever that may be) is ready for printing. It cuts down on my shipping costs and people are more likely to buy them together.

That sounds good idea. I missed Raiders and Siege, and even though I don't have a burning desire to field any of those armies, getting nicely bound printed supplements is always cool. Because I will definitely be gettiing this Mechanicus supplement printed off as I want to use AMTL & OGBM.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First part of reader feedback. Mostly nitpicky stuff in wording though there's some Fluff suggestions/Points of Order I make as well. More to come once I can transcribe my chicken scratch into something somewhat readable. Feel free to make requests for clarification or just straight up ignore and tell me to get lost. :)

=====================

Page 4
-suggest change "Population: 180 million Orkoids approximate" to "Population: 180 million Orkoids (approximate)"
-suggest change "The close - range planetary survey of Uzmak B was interrupted by an attack by multiple Ork spacecraft of the Cruiser class, which had been waiting in ambush behind the planet‘s fourth moon." to "The close - range planetary survey of Uzmak B was interrupted by an attack by multiple Ork spacecraft of Cruiser level displacement, which had been waiting in ambush behind the planet‘s fourth moon."

Page 8
-Note "Atmospheric Composition: 72% nitrogen, 25% oxygen, 1% argon, 1% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gasses." doesn't add up :) Probably should be "1% other gasses"

Page 9
-General suggestion: use an indicent +N days timer instead of absolute dates (or add to them). For instance, 3100950M41 is a pain in comparison to "Port Alpha landfall +0 days"

-repeat suggestion on limiting use of Orks + ship class vs displacement

-duplicated word " Gathered in their hundreds of thousands thousands,". If intentional, then please don't. Just put the number in. ;)

-phrasing suggest "yet for all the humans‘ effort still maintaining a coherent core" to "yet for all the humans‘ effort, still maintaining a coherent core"

-phrasing "the main Adeptus Mechanicus force held all of its more capable units in reserve, knowing that despite having two hundred thousand Skitarii, as well as a full Knight Household in reserve". Suggest one use of "in reserve"

Page 12
-Fluff suggestion "Besides the fleet flagship Omnissiah‘s Rage , an ancient Dicta- tor Class Cruiser that had served the Adeptus Mechanicus for almost three thousand years". 3k isn't particularly ancient in Imperial terms. I'd extend at least a few more thousand years.

-Spelling? "Incence- wrapped, war horns blaring". Not sure if British spelling is different but isn't that 'incense'?

Page 14
-Suggstion: Move global map from here to page 8. Locations are referenced in the text that we've yet to see in graphic. Would be helpful I expect. I know I was all, "WTF?!?!?" trying to figure things out at first.

Page 15
-Phrasing suggestion. "Orks having captured an outlying factorum complex but having been blunted enough that they lacked the momentum for pushing further in to the Complex." Use only one mention of the word 'Complex'. Is it 'complex' or 'Complex'?

Page 16
-Rewording suggestion. "Whether they had left the system or still lurked unseen in the system was unknown," to "Whether they had left the system or still lurked unseen in the outer debrie fields was unknown,"

Page 17
-Fluff issue. "Responding with rapid decisions, both forces acceded to the Inquisitor‘s request and dispatched armies to Achil- Quag at the earliest available Warp tide. Coordinating to- gether in the Warp, the Imperial Space Marines emerged directly above Achil-Quag together, just five hours before the leading edges of the Ork hordes were due to arrive at Complex 1."
In general it's pretty definitive that Warp translation occurs in the outer reaches of a system due to the gravitational effects of a large mass, like a sun. Translating in system like they did should be noted for its extreme difficulty and danger and make that jump something special in the annals of warp travel. The fact they felt they had to perform such a dangerous jump also helps impress on the reader the dire needs of the Imperials as well as how good the Marines are at what they do.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Scenarios
I know these are probably intended to be created, but I'd love to see some specific non-GT scenarios created to recreate some of the events in the book.

Ideas:
-The first contact between Harley Orkison‘s Speed Freaks and the Skitarii guarded Mechanicus Industrius. Needing to escape with the valuable machines from a suprise attack would be an interesting fight.
-The battle for Complex 1. Use it as a timed encounter where overwhelming waves or orks have a limted number of turns to meet objectives. Each gained objective adds N turns to the game. The idea of a fighting retreat is the theme here. If the Imperials can run out the clock they've sucessfully armed the self destruct warheads. Major victory if the self destruct is acrivated and 50% of forces survive and exit. Minor victory if bomb is activated but many units are destroyed or left too close to the bomb and are destroyed. Anything else is Major Ork victory.
-Attlian convoy attacks. Probably a variant of the origional rule book convoy attack with set lists.
-Something for the BT recovery of their comrades? BT need to slip by the distracted orks (Imperials probably have some nasty off board support weapons but the Orks get a Mega gargant)
-The big mighty Battle of the Walls for the end monster 20k mega game :)
-Some BFG stuff would be nice as well

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, the home for the Ork development can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26718

First up; Gargant Bigmob!

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all the comments jimmyzimms, I've started applying some of them and will do more as I go through the supplement in the process of reformatting it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Scenarios
I know these are probably intended to be created, but I'd love to see some specific non-GT scenarios created to recreate some of the events in the book.

Ideas:

All great ideas. :-)
Fancy writing some up?

Quote:
-The big mighty Battle of the Walls for the end monster 20k mega game

Man of Kent may still have the rules for this giant game sitting around somewhere?

Post subject: Re: Epic: Mechanicus Supplement - Revive it!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Current version of the IF list is here

I'm really hoping to get it moved to developmental this year, got a international batrep exchange lined up already, so if that doesn't throw up any glaring issues, I'll lobby Dobbsy and Steve54 to move it to developmental which I would think would be "good enough" to go into the supplement, as the list stands now I can't see many major changes (additions/removals) and it's more a case of tweaking points values and unit stats to get it to a point where it's pretty balanced

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Roger that, I'm happy to take you at your word on it.

Can you write up unit datafax texts for the units? :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'll see what I can do :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are we till testing the Gargant list? Gonna get a game going next week...

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
Are we till testing the Gargant list? Gonna get a game going next week...

Yup.

I've just put another playtest up in the Ork development forum this evening.

Could you run a Big Lobba? Be interested to get some more thoughts on it...

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

by Big Lobba do you mean Mega Lobba? the 3+d3BP weapon? I've found it to be an ok weapon, but particularly suffers from the combination of "orks want to double" and "barrage table taps out quite quickly on to hit values"
but it is good for breaking small war engine formations and causing dismay among infantry in the open, it tends not to actually kill much of anything.
With the new upgrade rules, my Gargant would either be 50 points cheaper, or have a third megalobba instead of its current 2 mega-lobba+soopagun combo. this would result in a 12-18BP shot, which means it will spread a lot of blast markers about, but as I've said, not do much else. Still, it's a pretty cool weapon. Perhaps an increase in range or the ability to fire indirectly would assist it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next