Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Vanguard Miniatures the future

Post subject: Re: Vanguard Miniatures the future
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

malika2 wrote:
As for the background, I doubt the site would need a separate background section. Background could be added to the unit descriptions and if VGM does decide to do their own game(s), in theffect rulebook(s).

I disagree here. Just having background in with the individual unit descriptions limits the info that can be put up to just data about specific units and doesn't allow much in the way of general background. For example, the description of the Eloi flitter tanks talks about genetic engineering by novans, but there isn't much in the way of context. It also doesn't have much to do with the actual product that description is listed under. That might work adequately for a customer who is already broadly familiar with the setting, but a potential new customer is unlikely to know where to look to find things they would be interested in. Another example, just skimming through the product listings I saw (a long time ago) several "winter infantry" types. I just assumed that meant Valhalla/voystroan proxies and moved on without looking any closer. It was only a week or so ago that I learned, by reading a thread here, that those are actually gas mask/death world type troops. If I had been looking for kreig proxies I would have missed them entirely. A section or sections with a few paragraphs of background overview for each group/faction/whatever would give new customers someplace to look to find out which lines they might be interested in.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I get that point, but that's why you have background sections in rulebooks. ;)

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Which does no good whatsoever if there is no game or for someone looking for miniatures for a different game. these suggestions are not about a hypothetical future but making the store more attractive to customers, especially new customers, now.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Let's put it this way. There's a certain Vanguard project forthcoming that will contain a lot of of the DiD background, and John should be able to pull that background out and put it on the website in the relevant sections.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Guys again thanks for keeping this thread going it's all good stuff I just wish I could join in the conversation during the day but i've no access at work to do so. Again these are all very good suggestions and i'd love to implement at least some of them with the product photos being a main concern. It's time that's the main problem here I just don't have time or the set up really to re-photograph the entire DiD range even if I have the models built and or painted to do so which I don't. Painting time is almost none existent these days.

I will see what can be acheived but i'm not hopeful of much progress anytime soon.

As for the DiD background up on the site i'm sure that could be sorted but that to is in a constant state of flux so is hard to pin down. Ben mentioned a certain secret project that will indeed add much fluff to the gaming universe but that's a while away just yet.

Anyway cheers guys and thanks again.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Basics first, bling later. Sounds like a very good plan. Unless you are planning high class commission, I wouldn't overstate the effects of painted stuff in the store anyway. Seeing it mentioned that painted DiD stuff is nowhere to be seen, I thought a semi open gallery that you could pick and choose entrants to would show painted minis and encourage minis being painted all at once. But it's most certainly not the first thing that needs your attention.

Getting curious about that secret project of yours now...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd like to have my website front page slide show maybe roll the gallery images I have, to get painted models shown so that's one idea. Good images of castings is more doable in the short term.

Um yes the secret project, it's a personal project that kind of gained momentum and became a new model line but to be honest i'm not sure it would be of much interest to the 6mm community here.

Regards

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I might be in a minority here, but fluff would not influence my purchases for positive or negative from this range.
This isn't just for DiD, but the same for onslaught, MWG, EW, DRM etc. For me fluff is just something to scroll past to get to actual product info/pics, or ignore on a fluff page. Same in rule books, don't care if it's from GW or some historicals publisher, i skip fluff as 'filler' … has pretty much the same effect on me as page space occupied by a web advert! DiD fluff already contains the word 'gracile' once too often.

Pictures: yes, rules: maybe, fluff: no

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Apoc, interesting view personally it's the fluff that attracts me to games I like reading the fluff I still buy the odd codex just to read the fluff.

Everyone's different that's for sure.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Post subject: Vanguard Miniatures the future
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@malika: +1 buttons are available on Tapatalk :P Which probably explains why I'm one of the only ones that uses the function....

For unit backgrounds: I think having a short statement of background about the unit is a good thing, enough to get new people interested but not so much that it overwhelms. It would be relatively simple to have a more expanded section elsewhere on the site.
Not to be pedantic or dismissive, but I think well-edited background descriptions are important, too, and they can (for better or for worse!) make a big impact in the first impression. Perhaps there might be some community support to help with a few of these less-core things? Editing paragraphs is quite straightforwards.

For the pictures: perhaps there are one or two community members on here who have adequate picture set-ups to take sprue and painted shots? That way you can make sure the quality is there, and user submissions can go in a dedicated galley. If people are going to be taking work-in-progress shots anyways, maybe it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to do a few extras? I definitely think that good pictures of the product are essential in the end, though. At the moment, it's a bit hard to see what VM miniatures are like because there aren't even so many blogs with them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

John, I think some better info on the proportions of figures is something that would be incredibly useful from a customer perspective, as others have noted.

I understand you don't have time to do this in detail by updating all the individual product pictures and descriptions.

BUT - as a very useful stopgap how about rough assembling one of each vehicle, plus perhaps any oversize infantry in each range, plus a standard infantry stand, and photographing them together from different angles together with measuring stick? This is what I relied upon with Dark Realm purchases as below and it was very useful and stops hesitation by supplying the information you really need to make a purchase. They don't need to be painted.

I count 12 Skinner vehicles, 8 Cybershadow, 12 Novan Elite, and 24 Novan Regular vehicles. Though of course some of these are using the same chassis so could probably be left out. Getting a few pics of these together as below wouldn't be nearly as much trouble as revising all the product pics and descriptions, and then you can stick the comparison pics somewhere prominent your website. An idea worth considering anyway.

Attachment:
andyheights.jpg
andyheights.jpg [ 24.3 KiB | Viewed 3462 times ]

Attachment:
andytopdowns.jpg
andytopdowns.jpg [ 53.43 KiB | Viewed 3462 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep - what Markconz said. Definitely include a ruler, but even pics of the models alongside each other is useful. I remember a pic of all 6mm GZG model range mounted on a pin board at a trade show which was like gold dust on these boards years back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Um this is doable i'll see if I can't do a few this weekend or very soon at least.

cheers

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
I might be in a minority here, but fluff would not influence my purchases for positive or negative from this range.
This isn't just for DiD, but the same for onslaught, MWG, EW, DRM etc. For me fluff is just something to scroll past to get to actual product info/pics, or ignore on a fluff page. Same in rule books, don't care if it's from GW or some historicals publisher, i skip fluff as 'filler' … has pretty much the same effect on me as page space occupied by a web advert! DiD fluff already contains the word 'gracile' once too often.

Pictures: yes, rules: maybe, fluff: no

Have to agree, if a model suits my purposes I'll buy it, regardless of fluff or whatever else...

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apoc asked after a pic of my turret on a regular hull, phone pics not great but you get the idea.

Attachments:
turret.jpg
turret.jpg [ 312.78 KiB | Viewed 3368 times ]

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next