Login |  Register |  FAQ

Movement and direction of travel

Post subject: Movement and direction of travel
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How does one define the ”direction of travel”?
section 3.1.4 Moving and Turning reads:
”Models may turn as often as desired during movement. At the end of movement the model must face the direction of travel but may make a 45° correction. This is generally only important to vehicles and weapons with a restricted arc of fire.”

Q 1: In the image below a land raider moves 10 cm then turns 90 degree left, then moves another 5 cm. What is the direction of travel and how may the land raider end up facing? (Use the compass in the image)
Answer A: The last 5 cm of movement are defined as the direction of travel in which case it may correct from 270 315 to 45 degrees
Answer B: The direction of travel is the line drawn between the starting point and the ending point of the land raiders movement, in which case the direction of travel is 45 degrees and the land raider may correct from 0 to 90 degrees.

Q 2: Replace the land raider with a titan/pretorian that has a restricted maximum allowance of 90 degrees turn during movement. Can the titan/pretorian also make a 45 degree correction at the end of movement?

Cheers!
*updated for correct angles in Q 1.

Last edited by Kogle on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Movement and direction of travel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Q1: By the graphic provided (good job on that, quite clear), my answer to the question is that the last 5cm of movement define the 'direction of travel' and thus the Land Raider (or other non-Titan model) could adjust facing anywhere from 315 to 45. Not 270 to 45.

On the other hand, if the vehicle had turned 90 left after the 15cm Move and the player said, "That's is, that's as far as it's going", I'd call foul as the player would be trying to use a turn to override the 'end of move' adjustment. Heck, even if it only went 1cm after turning I'd probably call foul, as 1cm doesn't make a lot of difference for the most part. Personally, I'd say that a minimum of 2cm of travel would be required to define 'direction of travel', but that's me. You may want to discuss that point with your gaming group and get a consensus there.

Q2. No and yes. Titans (and Praetorians) may only turn up to a total of 90 degrees during their entire movement, though this may be spread across several individual turns. If the model has "turning capability" left over at the end, it would be able to alter it's facing at that time. I would even allow a Titan, but not a Praetorian, to adjust facing by up to 90 at the end of all movement if it had that much remaining. Note that many Titans (Warhounds, all Eldar Titans) have fewer restrictions, and a few (Ork Gargants, Imperator) have more,

Profile Send private message