Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Denizens and Mercenaries Thread

Post subject: Re: Sv: Denizens and Mercenaries Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:
Fredmans - There will indeed be some trucks, half-tracks, and civilian vehicles added.

Let me play around a bit more - I may be able to make open-topped work. The problem is making the opening large enough to where other minis would physically fit inside. They can in a bunched up pose - but actually placing my other minis inside will be difficult for modelers.

Yay for trucks!

Placing minis inside is a deluxe variant. Maybe model sitting passengers as a piece, and empty seats as another? Then modelers could do relatively straightforward headswaps if they feel like it...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Denizens and Mercenaries Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:
Fredmans - There will indeed be some trucks, half-tracks, and civilian vehicles added.

Let me play around a bit more - I may be able to make open-topped work. The problem is making the opening large enough to where other minis would physically fit inside. They can in a bunched up pose - but actually placing my other minis inside will be difficult for modelers.

Why not design bunched-up crews as ForgeWorld did for Gorgons. An insurgent and a government version perhaps? If you do it well, the same crew could fit in open trucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I want them to be faction neutral - so the best I can do with open topped are empty seats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good :)

Will need some of these...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:
I want them to be faction neutral - so the best I can do with open topped are empty seats.

Empty seats are fine! I suppose most people would not have the skill or will to bother adapting the crew via headswaps, so you are probably right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Limo really looks fantastic. I think the difficulty in making an open topped one can be seen when you look at other manufacturers when they tried to build open topped limos. They don't just have the top open, they have windows missing at the sides:
http://theweddingsite.com/21stcenturylimousines/5.jpg

Same for mini makers:
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1 ... 398014.jpg

There is another good example, but I don't want to post a picture of JFK in an open topped limo.

All have the side window missing, and that seems to work great.

I think this is tipping me over the edge in wanting to make an order with you. I really like the Limo concepts so far.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Does anyone know the story behind the (now legendary) steeler cult limos? It was a year or so before my time. Who's project was the army? Where did they get the limos? It sounds a bit Andy Chambers...?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Andy Chambers wrote the only Tyranid army book that featured a Genestealer Cult army list for 40k. It was produced in 95.

There is no mention of the Limos in that list, they only had access to Imperial Vehicles, and some gun platforms.

So I guess my answer is that it could be anyone. I don't have any old White Dwarf mags to check.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have a distant memory of them being mentioned in the story that accompanied the Deathwing supliment. The Dark Angel Terminators entered a city that had been infected by Geensteelers an their leadership rode around in Limos. I May have this wrong, either way it was a great story.

My Personal Blog: http://mickeysminishome.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The genestealer cult army list fan submission by Tim hucklebery that was edited and published in citadel journal issues 40&41 (I think) featured cult limos as a transport option and mentioned them in the background. Don't have a date for when those issues came out though.

I suspect the original idea was a conversion done by someone in the studio before GS cults were ever more than just a bit if background. A picture was probably shown in white dwarf of "so and so's gene stealer cult army" as an example of a cool modeling project and it caught on.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Actually GW used to sell a boxed set for the cult army back in Rogue Trader days. The army list, as much as they were back then, was published in White Dwarf 115-120 ish (a little big of search -fu can dig it up if you want). The limos themselves where scratch built for the studio army of the above. The white dwarf was fantastic as was the beautiful artwork and amazing fluff about stealer invasions.

edit: pretty good noggin. White dwarf 114, 115, 116 had the stories, army, art work, etc. This was to coincide with the 1st edition Space Hulk game release and to bring the Genestealers into, what was modern look/fluff for that time, with 40k. Also to note, at that point they were not tyranid vanguards.

edit 2: found some amazing pics of the infamous stealer limos. Evidently Bryan brought them out for a convention and the old hammer guys were able to get some uber detailed pics.
http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=379 scroll down to the bottom for the side and under looks

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys. And jimmy - I knew you'd have the goods ! I'll try to track it down. @Primarch/sims-I dimly remember the short story in Deathwing however I don't remember any limos (but that might just be my age ! ;-) ) I do remember the dirty perverse description of the underground cult and the infiltrating narrator's (inquisitor?) revulsion of the corruption of the emperor's image with a vivid description of the cult's 4-armed "emperor" statue and meeting with the patriarch. I'd definitely recommend it. And as jimmy says, the link to nids wasn't there, there was more of a chaos theme to it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

bertnernie wrote:
Andy Chambers wrote the only Tyranid army book that featured a Genestealer Cult army list for 40k. It was produced in 95.

There is no mention of the Limos in that list, they only had access to Imperial Vehicles, and some gun platforms.

So I guess my answer is that it could be anyone. I don't have any old White Dwarf mags to check.

There was an article in a WD in the early '90s about 40K Genestealer Cult and it had limos,etc. ... I may have to find the issue in my BLACK LIBRARY ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heh yup Genestealers did indeed have Limos started back in RT and first featured in WD114. Oh and that Oldhammer forum link was my thread on there :)

Currently working on the following Epic:

Orks
Genestealer Cult
Scenery/Buildings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm sure that Epic scale Limos featured in a Genestealer army seen in the old Epic Magazine as well - modified from Ork Speedas, IIRC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next