Login |  Register |  FAQ

Special cards - equipment and transport choice

Post subject: Special cards - equipment and transport choice
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

Having come from 40k relatively recently I've noticed that the NetEpic framework is somewhat rigid in the purchasing of transports and certain equipment upgrades..

First off - In 40k a lot of units have a choice of different transports and I'd like to see part of that transferred over to NetEpic.

An example would be the Inquisitor card from the Imperial Guard army. Normally its default transport a rhino but these days you could go for anything pretty much! They have the fluff ability to get these transports as well..

Land Raider.
Chimera
Valkyrie
Thunderhawk

Secondly the lack of equipment diversity for certain models types. An example would be a Space Marine Apothecary (could equally be a chaplain, commander or tech marine). They are able to vary their transport and movement type and are extremely flexible on the battlefield.

Bike
Jump Pack
Terminator armour
Razorback

With the points spreadsheet it would be incredibly easy to figure the upgrade or downgrade costs for units. It just gives people a lovely little customisation option on certain units... Some of them are already represented in specific builds or characters but I kind of like the added options it might give.

Thoughts?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Special cards - equipment and transport choice
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's the way we did it and it was done in SM1 and 2 ... All the Support troops stand came with a Rhino. And note in SM1 & 2 SMs, IG, Squats, CSM, Orks(Looted) used Rhinos. And we have always did it that way. Each type cost 50 points including Rhino. But the =][= cost 150 ...

Also at one point, IIRC, with E40K they made models with some of the Support Troops on Bikes. Of course it would be easy enough to mount one of these troop types on SM Bikes, plastic or metal ...

Attachments:
!cid_005b01cb7c4a$ac003530$76040A8E@YOURB6C00F138A.jpg
!cid_005b01cb7c4a$ac003530$76040A8E@YOURB6C00F138A.jpg [ 138.01 KiB | Viewed 7811 times ]

Last edited by Legion 4 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's a pic of my Chaplain and Librarian bike stands ... Image IIRC, I added the bolter on the left flank bikers ... I'm all about firepower ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Legion4 - yes that is reason for trying to get something out there for discussion!

I'd love to be able to use those models in NetEpic, I've got lots of the character models released over the years but they don't have rules presently and need house ruling to include them.

A weird example is the assault company command HQ, is a normal command HQ... They don't have a jump pack, there is a model for this, but not the supporting rules.

The chaplain as you say is there, but not represented on a rules set either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There are rules out there for those Support Troops. We basically got them from pages 15-16 & 19 in the SM2, Armies of the Imperium. As you see we have a separate stand for each those.

Now for example, the Chaplain with jump pack figure we just mount on an assault stand and that unit gets the Chaplain bonus ... you just have to pay the extra cost.

Also in SM1, as you see in the TO&E in my first post, has a Bn HQ = Bn Cdr, with 2 stands one with the Cdr & one with his XO/2IC, both those stands have jump packs. Even if the models do no reflect that. And as you see in that SM TO&E that Bn HQ has a L/Raider for the Bn transport, and a 2 Land Speeder Recon unit.

These are all separate units. In SM once a unit dismounts from it's transport, they become separate units and get separate orders as long as they are over 6cms away for each other. It's a standard rule is SM1. The moronic rule from SM2 that the transports have to stay within 6cm or 10cm from dismounts is not the way it works in the real world. I know, I was in 3 Mech Inf Bns and commanded a Mech Co. with M113s, '84-'90. :o

The 2 Recon Speeders were standard Speeders but could call-in support fires from FA, CAS, etc. ...

Here's a pic of my Bn Cmd, and Support Troops ... Image Left to Right ... the 2 Bn Cmd stands, Librarian, Chaplain, Tech & Medic.

The last stand is a Special Character stand, Based on some old 40K fluff. Cypher, who was a Fallen Dark Angel and is a Chaplain stand for my Chaos SMs.

One of my Recon Speeder Detachments [ I converted the one just for fun ! It came in a trade and was damaged] Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gold will not - and should not - be altered to include them at it's base level as Gold is not intended to represent any edition of W40K after 3rd. Well, except for the army lists that did not exist before then.

However, Platinum is intended to address all of those concerns.

If you cannot wait that long, then use the Points Formula. I've added most of the options you asked for into those lists already. Adding the others would be reasonably easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Gold will not - and should not - be altered to include them at it's base level as Gold is not intended to represent any edition of W40K after 3rd. Well, except for the army lists that did not exist before then.

However, Platinum is intended to address all of those concerns.

If you cannot wait that long, then use the Points Formula. I've added most of the options you asked for into those lists already. Adding the others would be reasonably easy.

yeah this was aimed at platinum and on going beyond that! Where are the work in progress army books for platinum?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To the best of my knowledge, it isn't even that far along as yet. However, I am really not the one to ask, as all I have contributed to it so far has been the Points Formula.