Login |  Register |  FAQ

Venom Transports for Dark Eldar lists

Post subject: Venom Transports for Dark Eldar lists
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dark Eldar have had Venom Transports for so long now, they should be incorporated into the list.

Venoms are not over powered, can only transport a single unit, and are armed with only AP weapons.

I have proven they can be scratch built, and they give a Dark Eldar the flexibility to mix and match their transports to provide variety, and have the weapons of the transport compliment each other. The Raiders handle tanks, the Venoms handle Infantry.

It also means you can buy just one Venom and fill in a transport gap.

I had a rough idea on their stats and cost based on the Epic UK list.

Venom - LV - move 35cm, save 4+, CC 6+, FF 4+
weapons- Splinter Cannon - Range 30cm, 2 x AP4+ (to account for the rate of ire) or 1 x AP 2+
- Twin Linked Splinter Rifles - Small arms
Can transport a single unit without mounted or jump. Skimmer. Units mounted on Venom may fire.
Cost: 10 points each. rather than the UKs 25 points a pair.

The cost might stuff up list building a little, but if the raider is free, then 2 smaller craft should not incur a large cost penalty.

I can guess arguments for 25 points or not wanting to include it in the list. It makes Dark Eldar likely to Venom Spam lists, it doubles the weapons and 4+ saves for vehicles Dark Eldar have to make before they are broken.

But my next suggestion will incur a NO WAY reply from some.

Units on Raiders with Splinter rifles and Splinter Cannons get to shoot twice when over watching, or shooting while mounted on the Raider.

It will mean enemy will likely be able to kill off both the raider and its infantry cargo better, as DE players will tend to keep the unit on board the Raider longer to get the bonus.

It will mean the unit on board can force enemy to use their FF value instead of their CC value in assaults as they stay on board and shoot from the raider (if that is possible) in close combat/FF situations. It does mean they are killed off when the Raider is destroyed, if they do not have a save.

I think these changes go well with the raider theme of Dark Eldar, The shooting infantry stay on board and provide fire support from their mobile weapons platforms, while the close assault infantry deploy into close combat to wreck havoc. It also does not change the game so much as to be a game breaker.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Venom Transports for Dark Eldar lists
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Platinum will probably address this issue.

The only issue that I can see is that NetEpic Gold does not have an "overwatch" rule, so that reference will have to be changed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deb, I could be wrong here but you seem to be discussing a 4th edition rule based vehicle stats and not NetEpic (which is based on 2nd).

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I realised my error a little while ago after I had already the reply, and forgotten where I had put it. I also put one in a section the is a NetEpic Gold discussion, and realised my error then. I had thought it was the section to discuss possible changes for 4th edition Epic Armageddon list that were being developed, or even change those that have been set for a little while. I thought the Dark Eldar list needed the Venom transport as it backed up the Raider's lack of AP weaponry, and wanted to see if people in the know - list developers would add it to the Dark Eldar list.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ot's in the EpicUK list...

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know, but I believe it should also be in the EpicEA list as well. Many tournaments do not allow the EpicUK lists, so the hard work i did building 6 of the Venom transports would be wasted. As I said it would be more thematic to 40K Dark Eldar (for the last 10 years at least), and balance the lists survivability, and anti infantry ranged attacks as well.

Taking Venoms would mean you pay more for the formation, but it would make it possible to have one formation with a pair of them and the other not having them, thus you do not have 2 BTS if you configured your list into smaller points value formations.

Again I really would like them added to the current EpicEA list, But will have to bring it up in the Epic Armagaddeon section.