Login |  Register |  FAQ

Thinking about Terrain

Post subject: Thinking about Terrain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I have wanted to deal with this for about 15 years, but honestly don't know how to address it. Terrain in Epic since the beginning has been flavorless, bland and for the most part has limited impact on the game.

We have units with weapons and abilities that address terrain and buildings, but it all seems to fall by the wayside in the abstractions that are often necessary to keep the game flowing.

But, Terrain is a key part of battle. Wars have been won and lost on account of high ground, natural checkpoints and weather. For centuries war was fought in open fields, then guerrilla warfare took things into the woods. WWII fought differently on every front, Trenches were key to WWI. Southeast Asia was a jungle that vexed the US military, and the deserts of the middle east have been a benefit to less well-armed native populations, allowing them to hold territory against what for all intents and purposes should be a overwhelming show of western (and Soviet) force. If you believe in end times prophecy, box-canyon like area known as the "Valley of Megiddo" is where the enemies of the Almighty will find themselves trapped to be annihilated by the angels.

Point being Terrain in epic is simplistic and flat, despite its important strategic nature.

At the moment, I have writers block! I really can't see in my mind how to Improve it. I am in the process of going through a lot of old war-gaming materials to find a system that I feel does it justice while still allowing a simple and advanced ruleset.

I have sketched out a bit of a framework, but it is purely an outline and I have no problem with tossing it out if it is not workable!

I kind of see a few basic elements

Geography - Overall terrain for the battlefield

Tundra/Plain - Limited effects
Foothills - Some effects on movement, costs/benefits to hill terrain, second initiative-type roll to give "high ground" to units
Mountainous/Canyon - Movement penalties, Bonus to defense (offset by points reduction?)
Urban - Range Limitations, Bonus to either side offset by something

Weather -

Typical weather stuff with a game-wide modifier (Range, to-hit, movement)
Fog, ice/snow, Rain, Clear, Warp storms

Terrain Pieces -

Expand out what already exists, add craters, bunkers and flavor to barricades / minefields
Tweak building rules a bit

Other thoughts -

Acid Environment
Low/high-G
Extra terrestrial plants/crystals/etc?

and that is my notes.......

I really would love some thoughts and feedback to get my creativity going! Also if you have a great resource, let em know and I will grab it!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Thinking about Terrain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
So I have wanted to deal with this for about 15 years, but honestly don't know how to address it. Terrain in Epic since the beginning has been flavorless, bland and for the most part has limited impact on the game.

We have units with weapons and abilities that address terrain and buildings, but it all seems to fall by the wayside in the abstractions that are often necessary to keep the game flowing.

But, Terrain is a key part of battle. Wars have been won and lost on account of high ground, natural checkpoints and weather. For centuries war was fought in open fields, then guerrilla warfare took things into the woods. WWII fought differently on every front, Trenches were key to WWI. Southeast Asia was a jungle that vexed the US military, and the deserts of the middle east have been a benefit to less well-armed native populations, allowing them to hold territory against what for all intents and purposes should be a overwhelming show of western (and Soviet) force. If you believe in end times prophecy, box-canyon like area known as the "Valley of Megiddo" is where the enemies of the Almighty will find themselves trapped to be annihilated by the angels.

Point being Terrain in epic is simplistic and flat, despite its important strategic nature.

At the moment, I have writers block! I really can't see in my mind how to Improve it. I am in the process of going through a lot of old war-gaming materials to find a system that I feel does it justice while still allowing a simple and advanced ruleset.

I have sketched out a bit of a framework, but it is purely an outline and I have no problem with tossing it out if it is not workable!

I kind of see a few basic elements

Geography - Overall terrain for the battlefield

Tundra/Plain - Limited effects
Foothills - Some effects on movement, costs/benefits to hill terrain, second initiative-type roll to give "high ground" to units
Mountainous/Canyon - Movement penalties, Bonus to defense (offset by points reduction?)
Urban - Range Limitations, Bonus to either side offset by something

Weather -

Typical weather stuff with a game-wide modifier (Range, to-hit, movement)
Fog, ice/snow, Rain, Clear, Warp storms

Terrain Pieces -

Expand out what already exists, add craters, bunkers and flavor to barricades / minefields
Tweak building rules a bit

Other thoughts -

Acid Environment
Low/high-G
Extra terrestrial plants/crystals/etc?

and that is my notes.......

I really would love some thoughts and feedback to get my creativity going! Also if you have a great resource, let em know and I will grab it!

Hi!

Actually there was a guy on facebook whom came up with rules for battles at night that were pretty cool. Let me see if I can scrounge them up.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post subject: Re: Thinking about Terrain
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ooh, this looks promising. When you were talking about it before, it seemed like you were referring to "terrain items" that can be found on the battlefield (IE, buildings, forest, etc), but now it seems like you are talking about the base terrain the battle is being fought on itself. This could be interesting. Many ideas for Scenarios as well. For example:

A battle where the base terrain is Forest. Paper cut-outs would be placed to represent clearings and paths that are clear, but otherwise the entire table counts as wooded terrain.

On the side of an incline. One table edge (probably determined randomly) is considered to be at a higher altitude than the other. Moving 'uphill' would be at a penalty, while 'downhill' could have a bonus. Shooting could get a bonus to hit vs targets that are significantly downhill.

I'll look around and see if I can find anything with notes that can help about terrain.