Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Points Formula Rules

Post subject: Re: Points Formula Rules
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Why is cost of weapons range a linear function of range?

From my point of view, there is little added value in getting to shoot from 150 cm to 200 cm as terrain usually blocks LoS, whereas going from 50 cm to 75 cm is a huge advantage because 75 cm is the distance needed to get a shot of in first round.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good question. The following reasons are, more or less, in order of importance.

1) Mostly because it is mathematically and logically simple. While having different values for different ranges would probably be more realistic (and I have - and still am - considering them), it would add to the complexity of an already rather complex system.

2) Because the formula cannot account for specific battlefield conditions, such as terrain. Like you, I tend to use a lot of LOS blocking terrain, but some people do not. If you have a terrain-sparse battlefield (or no LOS blocking terrain at all), then the difference between 150 and 200 is exactly as helpful as the distance between 50 and 100.

3) Indirect fire. The really long range weapons are mostly used for Indirect fire, and as that ignores terrain, the distances are just as important.

4) Scarcity. There are exactly 15 weapons in the whole of NetEpic Gold with a Range value of 200 or greater. I just now counted. I can list them if you like. In my current opinion, changing it for such a small number of weapons is probably not worth it. On the other hand, if several other people state opinions that it is, I may reconsider.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am currently working on a project related to the Points Formula. I am putting together a listing of "modules" that can be selected to create a model. All costs for these are based on current Points Formula values. This will allow a person to select options from a list to create (or convert) their model without having to do a lot of math. Obviously, there will still be a little math involved with adding together the costs of the modules, but that is minor.

The categories for the modules are the same as in the Formula. That is, Pinning Class, Movement (Terrain Access, Move, modifiers), Save (including modifiers), CAF (including modifiers; in sub-categories based on Pinning Class, Terrain Access, Move, and move modifiers), Weapon(s), and Special Abilities.

Before selecting modules, the person will have to know the desired Morale value for their new model, along with any Command radius or Order requirements. This is because I am listing each module with multiple values, in increments of 10%, to allow the user to not have to do their own multiplication.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
I am currently working on a project related to the Points Formula. I am putting together a listing of "modules" that can be selected to create a model. All costs for these are based on current Points Formula values. This will allow a person to select options from a list to create (or convert) their model without having to do a lot of math. Obviously, there will still be a little math involved with adding together the costs of the modules, but that is minor.

The categories for the modules are the same as in the Formula. That is, Pinning Class, Movement (Terrain Access, Move, modifiers), Save (including modifiers), CAF (including modifiers; in sub-categories based on Pinning Class, Terrain Access, Move, and move modifiers), Weapon(s), and Special Abilities.

Before selecting modules, the person will have to know the desired Morale value for their new model, along with any Command radius or Order requirements. This is because I am listing each module with multiple values, in increments of 10%, to allow the user to not have to do their own multiplication.

Hi!

Do you mean like a little "program" or excel file that auto calculates when you enter values?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not at the present time. At the moment, it is just a text list that people would make their selections from. I suppose such a file would be possible, but it is beyond my current skill level.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Not at the present time. At the moment, it is just a text list that people would make their selections from. I suppose such a file would be possible, but it is beyond my current skill level.

Hi!

Its beyond my skill too, unfortunately.

Perhaps a fan with such skills will step up. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am finding a lot of errors (sigh, still) in various areas as I go through every model and stand with a fine-tooth comb to create the modules. Thus I will be updating all of the affected Formula costs threads with the adjusted values once I am done.

I am also planning to adjust the formula at least once more to see if the costs of ultra-high-cost weapons (and other factors) can be brought down a bit. Most likely, I will do that by reducing the multiplier for the various Special Abilities that can be applied to Weapons, and probably other areas as well.

Thus making such a file at this time would be ill-advised as it would just need to be changed when that happens.

Still, making such a file (or program, or web application) IS something that I am planning on looking into in the future. It is just too low of a priority at this time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17