Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Armies for an Old Game?

Post subject: Re: New Armies for an Old Game?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like a xenos list. Interesting background in your list.
There are a large number of xenos races available from a range of miniature companies crying out for use.
Like you I find it difficult to find new gamers and then there is the inevitable to and fro about which version of epic to use.
So by default I have become largely a collector.
I also would have liked some suggested minis for the various units.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, the lack of defined models was an oversight. I had wanted to leave it open for anyone to just pick models to use, but later realized that everyone likes a "standard look". Unfortunately, it is hard to go back and fill in the pieces, lol. At some point I will go out and find good models, but I'm a bit of a collector myself and I have at least three 10k armies to clean up and paint. I'm completely ok with anyone who is interested in one of the lists posting any suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Like what i read in the codex. Looking forward to see more.

Personaly i like the idea of new armies for epic, the galaxy is huge and ofcourse there will be alien races that needs to be killed of before they become a galaxy wide threat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So what good is a Xenos army if you have no one to play? The original idea was to use these in some sort of solo campaign. So here is a very simple write up for the first scenario of a Xenos invasion. Although the original intent is against an imperial/space marine type army, I think almost any army could be substituted. Included are basic rules for what the Eye Horror units will do (move, target preferences). Enjoy.

Attachment:
Xcampaign1.pdf [69.81 KiB]
Downloaded 407 times

Attachment:
Xenosattack.jpg
Xenosattack.jpg [ 135.22 KiB | Viewed 6801 times ]

Last edited by Grum on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Time for something new. I was poking around on a sight and found a dwarven fortress golem. I thought that it would make a great knight type model for the squat army. I'm not a fan of my paint job, but eh, it was a first try. I came up with some rules for it to make it at least a little interesting...

Attachment:
slayerknight (2).gif
slayerknight (2).gif [ 128.43 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]

Attachment:
Squat Slayer Knights.pdf [131.41 KiB]
Downloaded 459 times

EDITED: Replaced company card with support, increased the unit number per card from one to two, changed the point value to reflect formula costs. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Grum on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting model, and interesting stats.

I've run it through the formula.

I've adjusted the cost of the weapons by +10% due to the ability to fire during other phases. I was thinking of +25%, but the inherent to hit penalty reduces that. Still, it is a benefit overall, thus it should have a positive cost.

I've adjusted the cost of the whole model by +10% due to the Berserk Fury replacing Fall Back. Admittedly, it won't happen often (if at all) due to the Morale value of --, but it should have a positive cost.

The Points Formula cost for this model is 209.21, which can be rounded to 209. Comparing this to other similar cost models shows me that your cost estimate for NetEpic Gold is probably a bit high. It could easily come down to 200 or 175 and still be fair, possibly even as low as 150 but that might be pushing it.

You seem to have a couple of typos in that pdf.

First, you are using the word "Moral" rather than "Morale". The former refers to one's stance of issues on lawful versus chaotic behavior, and is not really appropriate. The latter is what you want.

Second, the listed formation only contains a single model whereas the description specifies that they are always fielded in pairs.

Third, you call this formation a "Company Card" when the description seems to be referring to a Support formation at best. I would expect a Support formation to have two models, with a Break Point of (Each Model) much like a Warhound Titan formation. A Company formation would then have three detachments of two models, for a total of six models, or possibly seven if a Command model is desired. Assuming it is not, as Squat often don't, I'd expect the formations list to look something like...

Formation _ _ _ _ _ Formula _ _ NetEpic Gold
Support (2 models) _ _ 418 _ _ 350 (175 each)
Company (6 models) _ 1254 _ 1050

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i like it. always wanted to see squat walkers and titans. maybe it could be a list someday? just need to find a way to make the gameplay unique so it is distinguishable from a titan legion/knight army

back in ancient times i was somewhat sad i played spacedwarfs because of the lack of titans

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had originally field them in pairs, but tried to modify the points/models. I think I will return them to being a pair and take away their morals to give them some morale, lol.