Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Horus Heresy Formations

Post subject: Re: Horus Heresy Formations
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With the predators I was looking at old mitary formations, specifically WW2 British tank squadrons consisted of for the most part 3 tanks. They could and normally would have an additional anti tank capability added, for example 3 Sherman tanks and a VC firefly with a bigger gun. That was my thinking would be interested to here from others their feelings on it
A) Forth tank added to squadron.
B) Seperate support formation.
C) Included as another optional combat detachment.
D) Upgrade all three tanks in a predator detachment to this pattern.

Cheers

Squiggle

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

SquiggleAmp wrote:
The page that inspired me.

Haven't seen this before, where is it from?

Attachments:
SMLegionOrg.jpg
SMLegionOrg.jpg [ 7.17 KiB | Viewed 4168 times ]

Armyforge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

really liking the formations im also a fow player i like the format, whats the harm in having a 2ic? particularly in the heresy era all the new books are littered with 2ics (with alternating titles)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@adam77 it's from horus heresy book 1 'betrayal' from forge world. Pages 30 & 31

Squiggle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you johnboyire, I am feeling more and more it isn't a massive problem if you take the two tanks and have a command formation as such, just pay for the cost for a second command vehicle. This enabling a free command vehicle still with a break and morale of -/-. Is paying the cost for it off the table completely, I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having a different tank added to an otherwise pure detachment goes against every version of Epic up to NetEpic Gold. [I'm not really familiar with Epic 40K or Epic Armageddon, so I don't know about those.] You certainly could do it, but it is very odd. It would be much more in keeping with how things currently work to have a separate detachment for the variant Predator. Thus my preference would be to have it have it's own detachment.

There is no actual "harm" in having a 2nd Command tank. It is an unprecedented change from earlier organizational structures, at least as far as Space Marines in Epic scale is concerned. Note the Land Raider Company in NetEpic Gold. Just one Command tank. All it would mean is that the Space Marine player would have two Command tanks (or more) running around rather than just one. It would make that Company more powerful, but calling that "harm" is a stretch.

Whoops, my bad. I should not have listed the Command tank(s) entry with a Break Point of -. The Break Point of a Command tank Detachment would be equal to the number of tanks in that detachment. In other words, if you have one Command tank, it's BP is 1. If you have three, their BP is 3. [Sorry, I was a bit rushed at that point.] Their Morale rating would still be --, as Command models (generally) have the 'Fearless' ability. Many models do not list Fearless specifically, but this is also represented in NEGold as a Morale rating of --. Fearless, or Morale of --, means that they do not have to make any Morale checks that they would otherwise be required to make. In the Points Formula, this increases their value, but it is already included in the NEGold value.

The above aside, if you are using the NEGold value system, then the single Command Tank MUST be free, as otherwise you are severely overcharging the Space Marine player for their forces. Essentially you are cheating the Marine player out of points. If you must have the Command Tank have a token cost, make it be 25 (50 at the absolute most) and reduce all of the Company Detachment costs by 25 (or 50 if the Command Tank costs 50). If you allow the selection of additional Command Tanks, those should be at full points value and not free, but the initial, single Command tank must be free. There just is no other logical and fair choice.

I'm not sure how you are getting me as saying that "... paying the cost for it off the table completely." I'm not even quite sure what that is supposed to mean. The cost for the single Command tank for a Company is paid for by the cost of the models in the Company itself, and the fact that they are all included in the same Break Point. On the other hand, you are not running this Company structure in that way, which in terms of NEGold is also very wrong. I suppose with your new structure you could be justified by using the full cost for even a single Command Tank, especially if it's Break Point and Victory Points are determined separately from the rest of the detachments in the Company.

Are you familiar with how Break Point works for a Company in NEGold? If not, I can summarize it for you to illustrate the differences.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In E40K formations can have mixed tanks. Also the EA heresy lists do have the ability to upgrade a single tank in the formation to a different type.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is the pure formation an immutable rule?
by 'off the table' I was meaning it in the sense of a barter between people brokering a deal of sorts not actually off the table top.
In essence with the break point for a company will be the total number of models in the HQ plus the total number in Combat detachments so one tank Company HQ 1 vehicle as it stands at the moment and for example two combat detachments of three vehicles each for a total of 7 vehicles, break point equals 4 for the combat formation. each individual detachment has its own break point dependant on formation type.
I think mixed detachments as long as the model is WYSIWYG isn't a massive game changer and it is only in the combat formations with the addition of a anti tank capability. I think if we go for the free command tank with the option for a second to be added at the cost of a command tank. as you say fair.
I will look into making room for Predator and Land Raiders, maybe one option as per the Battle Company.

Thanks

Squiggle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SquiggleAmp wrote:
Sicaran stats (proposed)
the increase to hit for autocannon represents the high rate of fire and that in 40k it ignores jink saves.
thinking of increasing the AD to 4 to represent the torrent of bullets it spits out.

Sicaran Battle Tank
Mv 25 cm
Sv 3+
CAF 0
Weapons
Accelerator Autocannon 75cm 2 4+ -1 Turret
Lascannons 75cm 2 5+ -1

Great minds think a like. Those are almost the stats I created for the marine list, the only difference I have is giving the autocannon a -2 save basically to cover the torrent of bullets and anti jink ability and a PD1. Though -1 is fine to. For those that don't know what Jink is, it is a new rule in 40k that things like bikes get and gives them an unmodifiable save. This is something I am applying to marine bikes in the Platinum Marine list to give them a boost by giving them all a +f save.
As Magnus says, extra AD is nearly always a bad way to go with weapons. When creating new units I always look to boost to hit and TSM rather than giving a weapon 3 or more AD unless it doesn't really work well.

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Having a different tank added to an otherwise pure detachment goes against every version of Epic up to NetEpic Gold. [I'm not really familiar with Epic 40K or Epic Armageddon, so I don't know about those.] You certainly could do it, but it is very odd. It would be much more in keeping with how things currently work to have a separate detachment for the variant Predator. Thus my preference would be to have it have it's own detachment.

SquiggleAmp wrote:
Is the pure formation an immutable rule?
by 'off the table' I was meaning it in the sense of a barter between people brokering a deal of sorts not actually off the table top.
In essence with the break point for a company will be the total number of models in the HQ plus the total number in Combat detachments so one tank Company HQ 1 vehicle as it stands at the moment and for example two combat detachments of three vehicles each for a total of 7 vehicles, break point equals 4 for the combat formation. each individual detachment has its own break point dependant on formation type.
I think mixed detachments as long as the model is WYSIWYG isn't a massive game changer and it is only in the combat formations with the addition of a anti tank capability. I think if we go for the free command tank with the option for a second to be added at the cost of a command tank. as you say fair.

Sorry to highjack the thread with a Platinum item, I agree with Squiggle and what others have said. Vehicle squadrons can happily be mixed variants and have been in doing it in 40k and EA for years. I am afraid that is another legacy of Epic that I am going to push to move away from. If you are not a big fan Magnus, you are going to love the new formations I am coming up with for the marines as I am going all out on the mixed squadrons. As an example, this is what a Predator squadron will look like under my system.

Attachment:
Predator Squadron.jpg
Predator Squadron.jpg [ 42.42 KiB | Viewed 4102 times ]

Sure it might take people a few more seconds to make their army list the first few times, but they will soon get to know what formation specs they like to run and have the points totals ready. I believe this sort of flexibility is important for the game going forward.

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Mattman,
The extra AD was a suggestion it didn't feel right at all but I thought the two dice at this scale was sufficient. I agree that NE Plat should branch away maintaining the flavour of Epic 2nd but having enough of its own identity. Please feel free to hijack as you wish, within reason. How are the formations for NE plat coming along?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yeah Mattman, how are they coming along. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SquiggleAmp wrote:
How are the formations for NE plat coming along?

primarch wrote:
Hi!

Yeah Mattman, how are they coming along. ;)

Primarch

Coming along nicely.
I have done all the Marine Companies and I guess about 3/4 of the Marine Supports. Stat wise I guess I am again about 3/4 through adjusting and adding to the army list. Guess I might be in a position to let you guys see the first drafts next week ;)

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman,

Have you seen what Fattdex is doing with the EA HH list. We have been play testing this for about a year now a making some good progress. The stats may be of use to you guys for Net Epic HH. Link here http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157032&st=40

Cheers
Aaron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@moredakka: Thanks, that's good to know. That means that there is precedent in later versions of Epic, so it's not as radical of a change as I was thinking it was.

@squiggleamp
I would not say that "pure formations" is a 'rule' as such, but more of a tradition for these older versions. It's just how things are done. In my opinion, if you are creating these for use within NEGold, then they should remain as pure formations. That is, however, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

As you seem to be contradicting yourself in your description of how Break Point works for a Company, I'll summarize. To find the break point for a Company for most factions, specifically Space Marines in this case, figure out the total number of models / stands in the formation. Once you have that total, halve it and round up any fractions.
_ Example A: NEGold Land Raider Company. This formation has one Command model and three detachments each with three models for a total of (1+3+3+3) ten models. Thus it's BP is 5, as 5 is half of 10.
_ Example B: Your Tank Company. This formation has (at least) one Command model and either two or three detachments of either three or four models each. This makes figuring the BP a bit complicated. At it's minimum (1 HQ & 2 Detachments of 3 tanks) it has (1+3+3) seven models. As half of 7 is 3.5, we round up to 4. Thus the minimum formation size would have a BP of 4. Notice that adding just one tank (either a 2IC or one Executioner) would not change the BP. At it's maximum (assuming a limit of two Command Tanks and one Executioner per detachment) this formation would have (2+4+4+4) fourteen models, and thus a BP of 7.

The entire Company is only considered Broken when it has lost a number of models equal to it's BP, regardless of which detachment the losses are from. For example, a NEGold Land Raider Company could lose 2 models from one detachment, one from another, and the Command tank, and still not be considered Broken. The individual detachments within a Company formation are not considered separately for Break Point or VP. You seem to be saying that they are, but they are not. If you are changing that, then you are no longer playing within NEGold.

Support and Special formations are considered individually for BP and VP. I suppose you could have been referring to that, but the way you wrote your post was not clear.

If you guys really want mixed formations, then have mixed formations. Just so long as there are options for people who don't want mixed formations, I'll be fine. On that note, even if you keep the option to add the Executioner within the Company Detachments, it would probably be a good idea to add a Company Support formation for them anyway.

@mattman (mostly)
Actually, there could a an actual problem with mixed formations, as well as formations with variable sizes, as far as the Points Formula is concerned. [This does not affect NEGold values.] Well, perhaps "problem" is too strong of a word. It will make figuring out the final cost of the detachment more complicated. While the adjustments for Chain-of-Command, Morale, and formation type can be applied before the total number of models in the detachment is known, Break Point cannot be adjusted for until then. This is because the value of each model in a detachment is reduced by the amount that the detachment's BP is below 100%. This adjustment is always done after all other modifiers. To illustrate:
_ Example A: A Shadowsword has only one model in it's detachment, thus it's value is at 100%.
_ Example B: A NEGold Terminator Support Formation has four Terminator stands and two Land Raiders for a total of six models. It has a BP of 3, and thus all of the models in this formation have their value reduced by 50%.
_ Example C: A NEGold Land Raider Support formation has three Land Raiders with a BP of 2. The value of each model is multiplied by 2/3 (IE, reduced by 1/3) as a result.
_ Example D: A NEGold Land Raider Company has three detachments each with three tanks plus one Command tank for ten models and a BP of 5. The value of each model in this detachment is reduced by 50%.

In other words, a NEGold Land Raider has a higher final Points Formula value when in a Support formation and a lower one when with Terminators or in a Company because they are more likely to break sooner. Similarly, if a Land Raider Support formation were allowed to take two additional Land Raiders, it would then have five models and a BP of 3, and would then have to adjust the final value of each model by 3/5 rather than by 2/3.

[Just to say it again, these adjustments by percentages DO NOT apply to NEGold values, just Points Formula based ones.]

Thus while having variably sized formation is good for giving players more flexibility, it will mean more math when figuring out the final formation costs. Note that I'm not saying that there should not be variably sized formations. I'm just giving a 'heads up' that it will make things complicated in a way that people may not have anticipated.

@mattman (entirely)
Oh, it has been known for a while that Platinum would be including mixed formations and I have no issue with that. The only reason I'm really pushing on this here is because squiggleamp seems to be using these for NEGold, and he seems (to me) to be doing things incorrectly. He also often doesn't explain things clearly, thus I keep trying to get clarification.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@magnus,
Apologies it didn't read well that's why my wife normally checks my written work over for me. I understand the break system and I used my own terminology badly. I meant that the SUPPORT formations would have their own and the company (HQ and combat formations) would have a calculated break point from how they are constructed (amount of combat detachments and HQs /2 rounded up to the nearest whole number.
The additional tank is optional though it does mess with the break points value and anybody wishing to play with the list can take it or not. The list is being designed to in essence fight itself (I know I have never said this but I thought it would be clear from it being Horus Heresy)so any advantages are available to both sides. This is my first attempt at such a thing, I know it doesn't show ;).
I can see that it will also effect the VPs given for the formation it is quite variable and may cause an issue, though the player could work it out (divide by ten and round to the nearest whole number). I will however concede the point in favour of the simplicity it introduces and retract the mixed formations.
I am working on a document to show how to select and work out victory points, break points for the Company they will all be bound buy this and all affected when the value is reached.
This isn't a project that will be released into the NetEpic world as official just a fan project that I am sharing.

Again all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Squiggle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next