Login |  Register |  FAQ

Thoughts on Platinum

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Platinum
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
As to the buildings, limiting the number of squads by size could be a good idea. Under that system, if a particular building was listed as being able to hold a certain number of squads, but it was impossible to have that many on the roof of the building, how would you go about representing that they were inside the building?

If a building you currently use has a roof you can't place miniatures on, how do you indicate the models are in the building? And if the roof is sloped/pointed, how do you know how many models would fit on the roof?
People deal with these issues now, you either place them behind the building or put them aside off the battlefield and make sure your opponent is aware they are in the building, it works for other wargames.
Under the current rules, how would you place models in this building and know how many it should hold?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-dN30O-slyG8/U3aJxwCpEWI/AAAAAAAAAxU/m7apXKyKko4/s1600/20140516_222521-1.jpg

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
The Command models that I was referring to to receive the newly proposed ability are specifically those that come with a Company Formation. These do not already have the Inspirational ability. I apologize if I was not clear on which models would receive the new ability. It would NOT be added to Librarians, Medics, Forward Observers, Warlocks, etc. Adjusting Morale and the new ability would only apply to the following models & Factions:

Deleted

. Space Marines: Marine HQ, Assault HQ, Terminator HQ, Command Land Raider, Command Marine Bike.
. Squat: Warlord, Hearthguard, Guildmaster.

Deleted

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Something seems to be contributing to misunderstandings here. There are two types of Command models being discussed here, and certain issues only apply to one or the other. One type are the models that come with Companies alongside normal troops. The other type is found in it's own Special Formation. We really need different terms for the two, otherwise the confusion will continue. I suggest CHQ for those that come with a Company and SFC for those with a Special Formation.

As an example, the only models that I know of that have the Inspirational ability are SFC. The models that would receive the ability proposed earlier that gives all attached formations +1 Morale are CHQ. Thus there is no overlap. Similarly, the only Command models that I feel should be attached (IE, activate & have to maintain some form of coherency, even if out to 25cm) to a formation are CHQ. SFC should be able to roam freely, as they are a different formation.

That is completely incorrect.
By all means please correct me, but by Company HQs I assume you mean those that come with the company formations, things like Marine HQs, Assault Marine HQs and Terminator HQs, and by Special Formation HQs I assume you mean things like Chaptermaster, Chaplin and Librarian which would by purchased as a special card/formation? If that is the case, then it is the company HQs that already have the Inspirational ability. Barring the chapter specific characters, it is only the Chaptermaster that also has Inspirational, Chapins and Librarians and the like do not have that ability.
Likewise the same with the Squats, the companies that have some sort of HQ stand have a warlord who already has Inspirational and the Guild Bike Company comes with 3 Guildmasters, who also have Inspirational. The Grand Warlord is the only "special" formation that has the Inspirational ability.

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
On that note, I'm not sure how I feel about eliminating Medics, Librarians, etc as their own formations and working them directly into the Command squad for a Company. That seems to be trying to change the game into Epic 40K and that was a supremely disliked rule set, as far as I've ever seen. Still, I'll reserve judgement until you post what you are doing.

I wasn't thinking of working them into the command squad, more that you could upgrade the company and add a stand of the appropriate character to the company, with the caveat that you have to add the stand to one of the detachments in the company, so they move and fight with said detachment.
Under the current system, a company can take a single special card, so they are allowed only one of those characters why is that? When a marine company goes into combat it usually brings with it a chaplin, a librarian and dozens of medics and techmarines. There is nothing special about them, they are a core part of the company structure. Having a Warlord titan join the company, or some Grey Knights join the company, now that is a special choice.

Matt

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Hmm, good points. The Morale adjustment will probably be enough to curtail most of the odd usage of CHQ.

A point that I kind of raised above, but may have gotten lost, is: Do we feel that Orks and/or Guard should have their Morale adjusted & CHQs receive the new ability or are they restricted enough as they are? I could go either way on that one. What do you guys think?

Hi!

I think for uniformity's sake it should be applied to all forces. IG and Ork players already now how to "protect" their CHQ's due to their importance. This will only reinforce that point. It will make taking the chance even less likely for those armies (which is proper) or exposing them to harm.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I get that you dont like the blast marker system as it stands.

Why do i I like it?

Causing casualties is all well and good, but it doesnt truly represent why troops would break in combat, its a factor yes, but not the only one. Suppressing the enemy is a big deal in real life, If you can keep their heads down, stop them firing back at you then you have the freedom of movement to then assault them.

my suggestion is this.

When rolling to attack, do so as normal. make saves as normal. When a unit is destroyed add a blast marker to the formation. When a model makes its save, roll a further die, to see if its suppressed. For each blast marker, one base or vehicle etc in the formation is suppressed and cant fire. Once the formation has as many blast markers as bases remaining, then it automatically receives fall back orders.

Rallying Formations.

Option 1
introduce a new order - rally. when given the rally order the unit can remove D6 blast markers, if a commander is present then add a +1 to the roll.

Option 2
In the orders phase of the next turn roll a die and remove D6 blast markers for each formation on fall back orders. If a commander is present then add +1 to the roll.

I think when combined with the use of scenarios this will help with working out the army lists as well. You dont have to worry about formation break points, or VPs, because the blast marker system does the break points and the scenario victory conditions takes away the need to work out VPs for units. With the new flexible formations being worked on by Mattman it will simplify the creation of different or unique formations.

Obviously these are just some ideas, and im throwing them out there, they would need to be discussed and refined. :)

Heres a question for you - how is suppression modeled in net epic?

@ Bissler, I dont see how using blast markers is dicking about, its dead simple, you can see at a glance who is close to breaking etc... (It looks cool too, cos there's little explosions everywhere ;D ).

Look forward to my next installment of being awkward, when I will be going on about buildings...and stuff...

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Mattman: Ah, I see now. You were specifically talking about non standard Epic buildings. Gotcha. You really should have specified that you were specifically and only talking about buildings where models cannot be placed on the roof. That was rather confusing. You see I do not use any buildings that models cannot be placed on the roof of, therefore it has never been an issue. Right, glad that's cleared up.

Actually no, it is not 'completely incorrect'. It is partially incorrect. It is entirely correct for every Faction except for the two that you quoted. I will admit that I made an error by including Marines & Squat in the listing of models that should receive the new ability and have their Morale adjusted, as I failed to completely check the Special Ability fields for the models that you quoted. Not all Faction's CHQ models have Inspirational. Just the Marines, and the Squat Warlord & Guildmaster. I also apologize if it sounded like I was saying that all Special Formation based Command models had Inspirational, as that was not my intention. I know that they do not.

With the above mistake on my part, Space Marines and Squat should not receive the new ability. If Marine players are already having their Marine HQ squad run around the board on it's own when it already has Inspirational, then this small adjustment won't stop them from doing so, as it would make no difference. Same with Squats.

Ah, you had not specified that you were including the whole squad, and attaching to another formation. That explanation makes more sense now, and sounds like a good idea.

I have the feeling that they are individual Special Formations as back then there was more of a sense that these types of units were rarer than the game has them being these days. That is of course just a guess, I couldn't be sure without asking GW.

@Primarch:
It cannot be applied to all forces. The armies of: Eldar, Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Titan Legions, Tyranid, & Tzeentch do not have enough models that are appropriate to add the new ability to (without restructuring their Company formations) and/or already have Morale rules that are more restrictive. Space Marines & Squats already have Inspirational on the majority of their CHQ, so it would make no difference for them. Imperial Guard and Orks already have their limited command radius, so they need no additional reason to keep their CHQ models back. It is only the other armies that would see any benefit. Specifically: Chaos Marines, Chaos Renegades, Frateris Militia, Kroot, Necron, PDF, Sisters of Battle, & Tau. Frankly, as the list of appropriate Factions is now less than half, we should probably just drop the whole idea and deal with command models eating activations as a side affect of having alternating activations. In other words, it's a free benefit gained by being a Command model.

@yorkie
Suppression? What is that? ;)

Seriously though, NetEpic deals with that via it's Morale checks. To look at that slightly differently, it doesn't deal with Suppression as such. You have to actually destroy some of the enemy before they might turn and flee.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Oh well, one less thing to worry about then. ;)

Hehe, this reminds me of the good of days of the first handful of revisions. I would propose stuff I wanted to change and they'd all get shot down with very coherent arguments. ;) :P

Kudos for keeping me in check! :P :D

On the plus side, Platinum has become very manageable, new formula, new formation organizations and new unit additions. That's it!

Looks like we can crank this out relatively quickly. ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For that matter, if we get the formula relatively airtight, there wouldn't even have to be any new units added, as people could just build them for themselves.

I don't honestly expect that point to stop them from being added though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
For that matter, if we get the formula relatively airtight, there wouldn't even have to be any new units added, as people could just build them for themselves.

I don't honestly expect that point to stop them from being added though.

Hi!

Hmm. That's a good point.

I suppose there are some relatively recent popular units from 40k that people will like to add, but that may indeed be a short list as the formula well let players add anything else they want.

I like when big projects become immensely manageable! ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Yorkie: I'm a troublemaker. I like to needle the E:A community from time to time just as they like to needle me!

In seriousness I really didn't like the suppression rules, even though I taken on board your point that it is more realistic. By all means if you do then I recommend developing your own house rules. That's exactly what I did with Net Epic Evolution, I took what I liked about E:A and applied it to my system of choice... ;)

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had meant to post these sooner but better late than never, here's some views on Platiunum from the Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook.

"For me the bugbear has been Titan related. There is no accommodation for Emperor titans on chaos lists. Also there should be a general warlord Titan availability for each chaos power eg not every khorne warlord is a banelord etc.

In addition a Titan/gargant of any race is a symbol of inspiration to its allies and over time develop personal traits to slightly differ them from the standard. This is available as a chaos Titan mutation list, but what about loyal titans, eldar, gargants. There should be more oppourtunity for the player to be able to personalize one of their biggest pieces on the battlefield so they can reflect that in the model itself.

Also, juggernaut champion please. Or option to mount a regular champion on a steed/disc etc."

- Pete

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"I have to admit that Netepic also caught my eye because it held true to 2nd ed. I think with the die change and point value recalculation, added to the other rules introduced like praetorians, that this is evolving into an entirely new game. This isn't a bad thing, just different.

I don't have any interest in the platinum edition from the way it is shaping up, I'll stick with gold or 2nd, but I think you should continue what you are doing.

As for the titans, we always allowed warlords for chaos, but it would be nice for some chaos specific abilities. Gargants could use a few more choices as well. I love them, but the choices are boring."

- Steven

Note: this was written at the time that we were discussing 2D6 / D10 rolls...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"I haven't played netepic in a long time. I got involed helping playtest a revised version of a game that had 1d10 and had gone to using 2d6s instead. I think it helped the game. My understanding is it helps the game designer plan the numbers more. Sorry if that doesnt make sense. I have a hard time explaining these things."

- Brandon

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[Primarch asked what this poster thought about 2D6 system]

"It's hard to say. I'd hate to judge all of the hard work that goes into producing a Rulebook based on the shape and number of dice that are used to play it. Personally as a huge fan of 2nd edition Epic, what I enjoyed about discovering NetEpic was that it kept to it's fundamental core rules (with the exception of alternating movement) and added clarification to grey areas along with a massively expanded set of army options.

For me 'big' fundamental changes to how you interact with stat lines, turn sequence and dice make it feel like it's evolving into a new game that's similar to 2nd ed instead of being a refinement to it.

This of course is no bad thing for some and my opinion is entirely based on what I personally enjoy about epic, not represent of the greater whole and the people that put the work in to write the rules I enjoy. I can always stick with Gold if I decide that is the version that works best for me without poo pooing any new edition that gets produced."

- Anthony

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Thanks for posting those Bissler!

It drives home the point that people don't want too any changes beyond points cost and formations.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Except for the guy who wanted the traits and mutations for Titans, which we are / were working on already. Which reminds me that I have to finish up the mutations for Chaos Titans one of these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Except for the guy who wanted the traits and mutations for Titans, which we are / were working on already. Which reminds me that I have to finish up the mutations for Chaos Titans one of these days.

Hi!

Yes, yes you do. ;)

We got time, I'm not really geared up until late August.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules