Login |  Register |  FAQ

Thoughts on Platinum

Post subject: Thoughts on Platinum
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

As I look into the near future I begin to coalesce some thoughts on what exactly Platinum will entail.

Of course we all know the big implications the points formula and the newer formations will bring to Platinum, but what about the rules themselves?

Now, I'm not proposing anything as grandiose as making new rules from scratch or anything like that, but there are several things the base SM2/TL system never got right and Net Epic has struggled with over the years.

I will list them in no particular order so as to gather peoples thoughts on their relative importance (or lack thereof) and to see what people think needs to be "tweaked" for Platinum.

1. Die type used.

There has been debates for years on this. I think most realize how little "granularity" 1d6 has. It has placed a great hindrance on providing stats for new units or even the ones that exist since the spread on a d6 is not that great. Penalties or even bonus of -1/+1 tend to unbalance the game given the narrow 1d6 spread.

While I am fond of the 1d10, I would perhaps advocate more strongly for a 2d6 system. Since that die type is readily available and the spread on a d12 can be quite good and offer a real difference amongst unit stats.

We are already taking the step of overhauling formations and points cost, perhaps it is time to tackle this as well?

2. Fliers and AA

These units have been an extraordinarily clunky part of the system. To the degree that many do not use them.

I don't blame those whom don't. GW never gave any thought to their impact when they were added and we have been struggling to make them fit in a balanced form with the rest of the game ever since.

Many ideas have been tried and failed. However we have accrued much information on what works and what doesn't.

Perhaps it is also time to really take a look at this as well.

3. Command unit

I often wonder what is the point of these units.

An extra unit that can charge and fire is what they seem to be mostly used for. They don't seem to act like actual command at all most of the times.

Granted some armies like IG or Ork try to use them, but they seem more like a command radius straight jacket than actual command.

1st edition used command much more effectively, while I am not suggesting to go that route, it can serve as as source of ideas.

Since we are already overhauling the formation system, shouldn't the role and mechanics of command units be better defined? Shouldn't they do something other than "charge and first fire".

4. Morale system

This is an offshoot of number 3 above. Morale doesn't seem to have a great impact in play overall. Sure you roll when the formation breaks, but some of the morale values are so inflated as to be automatic.

Should morale be dependent on casualties? A formation over the break point by one should have a better chance of holding than one that has all but one unit still standing.

Also rolls wait until the end phase for the most part. I wonder if more immediate morale rolls and fallback would be better.

Speaking of fallback, perhaps it should be an order with tactical value and not just some imposed condition?

These are a few of my thoughts. I encourage others to mention and discuss other aspects of the rules they deem may need "a look at".

While the basic resolution mechanic for net epic is sound perhaps we can tweak some aspects of it to enhance the tactical experience.

All comments and ideas are welcome. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Platinum
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Primarch! Here's my thoughts in relation to each of the points you raised;

1) Personally if we are going to change the die system I too would prefer changing to D10. (I love the idea of that). I'd like to see what the majority think about this. I could well imagine many people may object to changing this at all. One side point, if we change the to hit rolls, wouldn't this screw things up for Magnus' points system in that he would have to recalculate everything?

2) I'm one of the people who doesn't use fliers. If you can find a good system to integrate them I'm all for that.

3) I kind of agree about Command Units but don't know what else you could do with them. My one suggestion would be that perhaps if the CU is destroyed then the company is forced to do a Morale Check. This would stop players (like me) going gung-ho with their CUs by making full use of the charge / first fire...or at least make them consider protecting these units a little more.

4) Keeping track of break points during a turn is problematic, especially when you don't have army cards as I'm sure a few of us don't now (because they are out of date, mostly for points costs). I tried this out when play testing Net Epic Evolution and it was a real headache, we kept realising later that units had broken and we should have done Morale Checks. For that reason I'd like to see the Morale Checks remain until the End Phase. I'm happy for Platinum to use the Evolution rules that you roll morale checks in the end phase and then immediately implement the fall back orders there and then AND then roll the second morale check. Any unit that fails this second check is instantly routed. If they pass the second test they are back in the battle next turn. We found this to be the simplest way to deal with morale checks. So far as the Morale Values go, I agree that many of them are too lemiemt but I'm reluctant to allow modifiers to be applied because it would disproportionately penalise the likes of Orks and IG. If you want to increase the morale value to 3 for some of those units which have MV of 2 then I wouldn't be against that. Obviously if the D10 system were to be used, we would have more options...

5) There wasn't a point 5 but out of pure and selfish egotism and arrogance I'm going to ask if there would be any plans to use the Evolution ruleset for the basic Platinum rules? I'm thinking if we are going so far as to make substantial alterations to the system, why not go the whole hog? I've play tested it fairly extensively now and there haven't been any major issues. I know you've tried it out Primarch and thought it was pretty good...

Look forward to seeing what everyone thinks!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Quote:
"The Bissler"]Thanks for getting the ball rolling Primarch! Here's my thoughts in relation to each of the points you raised;

1) Personally if we are going to change the die system I too would prefer changing to D10. (I love the idea of that). I'd like to see what the majority think about this. I could well imagine many people may object to changing this at all. One side point, if we change the to hit rolls, wouldn't this screw things up for Magnus' points system in that he would have to recalculate everything?

I too am fond of the 1d10. So much so hat I designed Heresy around the 1d10. That said, there is a certain attachment to the d6, thus I think it is easier to do 2d6.

I'll let Magnus discuss the probabilities and granularity of 1d10 vs 2d6. :)

I guess the point formula would change somehwat. Once more Magnus would know better than us, how much of a lift this would be.

Quote:
2) I'm one of the people who doesn't use fliers. If you can find a good system to integrate them I'm all for that.

I suspected you'd say that. ;)

Quote:
3) I kind of agree about Command Units but don't know what else you could do with them. My one suggestion would be that perhaps if the CU is destroyed then the company is forced to do a Morale Check. This would stop players (like me) going gung-ho with their CUs by making full use of the charge / first fire...or at least make them consider protecting these units a little more.

It really annoys me that is what CU's are good for. Mad dashes to grab objectives or take a pot shot on first fire. They really need to act like CU's. Your idea would be one aspect of a few things I'd suggest. :)

Quote:
4) Keeping track of break points during a turn is problematic, especially when you don't have army cards as I'm sure a few of us don't now (because they are out of date, mostly for points costs). I tried this out when play testing Net Epic Evolution and it was a real headache, we kept realising later that units had broken and we should have done Morale Checks. For that reason I'd like to see the Morale Checks remain until the End Phase. I'm happy for Platinum to use the Evolution rules that you roll morale checks in the end phase and then immediately implement the fall back orders there and then AND then roll the second morale check. Any unit that fails this second check is instantly routed. If they pass the second test they are back in the battle next turn. We found this to be the simplest way to deal with morale checks. So far as the Morale Values go, I agree that many of them are too lemiemt but I'm reluctant to allow modifiers to be applied because it would disproportionately penalise the likes of Orks and IG. If you want to increase the morale value to 3 for some of those units which have MV of 2 then I wouldn't be against that. Obviously if the D10 system were to be used, we would have more options...

Unfortunately your right with the bookeeping. Your suggestion is an intriguing one I will give some more thought on.

Quote:
5) There wasn't a point 5 but out of pure and selfish egotism and arrogance I'm going to ask if there would be any plans to use the Evolution ruleset for the basic Platinum rules? I'm thinking if we are going so far as to make substantial alterations to the system, why not go the whole hog? I've play tested it fairly extensively now and there haven't been any major issues. I know you've tried it out Primarch and thought it was pretty good...

All ideas will be considered of course. I just wonder what impact the new formation will have on evolution. Right now those new formation weigh heavily in my mind, since they will change how armies are fielded and used.

Some more thought on this as well.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's been some good comments on fb which is pleasing! Anyone who is interested should click on the red text in my signature to have a look - I know you are aware of it Primarch! :D

One thing I just realised to back up my preference for D10 over 2D6 is something I do all the time, speed rolling. Say a unit of Land Raiders are firing, I simply roll 6D6 for all of the Lascannon. I can do the same for rolling D10, but if each weapon is 2D6 I'm going to have to roll 12D6 and have six different colours of dice. I don't think I have six pairs of dice that are different colours but more to the point it will be slower separating and checking results.

This may seem like small beer but I'm wary of anything that will slow play, particularly when it comes to rolling dice because there is so much of it...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
There's been some good comments on fb which is pleasing! Anyone who is interested should click on the red text in my signature to have a look - I know you are aware of it Primarch! :D

One thing I just realised to back up my preference for D10 over 2D6 is something I do all the time, speed rolling. Say a unit of Land Raiders are firing, I simply roll 6D6 for all of the Lascannon. I can do the same for rolling D10, but if each weapon is 2D6 I'm going to have to roll 12D6 and have six different colours of dice. I don't think I have six pairs of dice that are different colours but more to the point it will be slower separating and checking results.

This may seem like small beer but I'm wary of anything that will slow play, particularly when it comes to rolling dice because there is so much of it...

Hi!

I agree that rolling less dice would be nice, but I also think the resistance to use non-d6 dice is very strong. That's why 2d6 may be an easy change for people.

Of course if it turns out people want the d10, that would be great! ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting thoughts. A few of mine.

1) Changing the die size used would make Gold and Platinum incompatible. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, it seemed like part of the point of the Points Formula system was to allow players to be able to fight each other regardless of which version they were playing. If the basic die size changed, that would be impossible.

Looking just at the differences between D10 and 2D6, the former would keep more of the feel of Gold (and previous versions) while 2d6 would change things quite a bit. Mostly because 2d6 makes a bell curve on it's probabilities. To put that another way, the possible results near average (7 is the average result of 2d6) are more likely to happen than results at either extreme end (2 or 12). Rolling a single die, regardless of size, has equal chances of each possible result happening. With a single die, a fixed modifier to that roll has a fixed impact. With multiple die being rolled, a modifier can have a variable impact and is thus harder to put a value on.

To put that another way, while changing to 1d10 would have an impact on the Points Formula, it would be a lot easier to deal with than changing to 2d6. That could get very messy.

On the other hand, changing only things like Titan & Praetorian damage charts to 2d6 would have a minimal impact on the Points Formula. Mostly just on values for Penetrating.

2) Personally, I've never had a problem with the Flyer, Floater, & AA rules as they are, or even as they were in Epic 2nd. I've seen that some people do have problems with them. Would someone be so kind as to list exactly what the problems you are having are? [May need it's own thread.]

3) You say: "They don't seem to act like actual command at all most of the times." Would you please define exactly what you feel that "actual" Command should act like? Of course, in the context of a game like this.

A large number of Command models already do have other uses. Many have Inspirational, Medic, Psyker, or other various Special Abilities that define their role on the battlefield. Anything they do other than just being Command is defined by what other Special Abilities they have. Generally speaking, the weaponry such a squad has is minimal anyway, so I don't see any problem with them getting the permanent First Fire. After all, with the Points Formula, they pay for it.

I could agree with the proposed idea of forcing a Morale check for any associated formations if their Command model(s) were destroyed. In my view, this should be limited to such Command models as come with a Company or ones that have been attached to another Formation (like the Commissar model).

Perhaps a change to the rules that Command models from Special Formations cannot capture objectives (unless attached to a formation that can do so) would also help define their role more clearly.

4) If you want a game in which which Morale has a bigger impact, try running a Guard force against a Chaos force heavy with Daemons. You will be rolling, and failing, Morale checks left and right. How big an impact Morale has is very dependent on which army you are running and which you are fighting against.

Also, in the Points Formula, an army with a lot of great Morale values will be paying for them. Compare the values for Space Marine formations with Sisters of Battle, or with Orks.

Probably about the best we could do with changing when Break Point is considered would be add a mini end Phase to the end of every Phase (Movement, Combat, etc) instructing each player to check each currently unbroken formation to see if it has taken enough casualties to have to make a Morale check, and then to do so if warranted.

I would not be in favor of immediate second rolls as then the Fallback condition has less meaning. An alternative might be to allow the second check after a number Phases equal to the amount by which the Morale check was failed. Thus as there are four Phases per game turn (Orders, Movement, Combat, End) if a model has a Morale value of 5 and rolls a 1 at the end of the Combat Phase in turn 2, they would be able to make their second Morale check to rally at the end of the fourth Phase after that, which would be the end of the Combat Phase in turn 3. If they had instead rolled a 4, they could try to rally at the end of the End Phase in turn 2.

Another idea could be to have a second Morale threshold happen when the formation has taken losses equal to half of those remaining when the primary Break Point was reached. For example, a Company with 30 models that has a Break Point of 15 would have to make a Morale check once they lost 15 models. This idea means that they would have to make another check when they lose another 7 models (half of 15 rounded down). The second roll could be at a one point penalty. Admittedly, this would mostly only affect Companies, but it could make Morale have more impact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just picking up on your comments about Morale Checks Magnus, I can see the sense in what you're suggesting, but I do feel that checking break points and monitoring how many phases has elapsed since break point for Morale Checks will introduce more bookkeeping and slow play down again. While the double morale check isn't an ideal change to play, I personally prefer it's simplicity (although I would since it's my idea!).

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Quote:
"MagnusIlluminus"]Interesting thoughts. A few of mine.

1) Changing the die size used would make Gold and Platinum incompatible. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, it seemed like part of the point of the Points Formula system was to allow players to be able to fight each other regardless of which version they were playing. If the basic die size changed, that would be impossible.

Looking just at the differences between D10 and 2D6, the former would keep more of the feel of Gold (and previous versions) while 2d6 would change things quite a bit. Mostly because 2d6 makes a bell curve on it's probabilities. To put that another way, the possible results near average (7 is the average result of 2d6) are more likely to happen than results at either extreme end (2 or 12). Rolling a single die, regardless of size, has equal chances of each possible result happening. With a single die, a fixed modifier to that roll has a fixed impact. With multiple die being rolled, a modifier can have a variable impact and is thus harder to put a value on.

To put that another way, while changing to 1d10 would have an impact on the Points Formula, it would be a lot easier to deal with than changing to 2d6. That could get very messy.

On the other hand, changing only things like Titan & Praetorian damage charts to 2d6 would have a minimal impact on the Points Formula. Mostly just on values for Penetrating.

It seems you, Bissler and I would prefer a d10. As I have mentioned I would vastly prefer the d10, for all the reasons you have mentioned. Perhaps I am wrong in thinking there will be more resistance towards it. We'll see what others think, but if more express favor for the d10 then that would makes things simpler.

I'm not overly concerned with platinum and gold being different. Even if the die did not change I feel that the cost formulas and different formation rules would make it play differently from "stock" gold version. Of course, as you mention it would be nice to have that uniformity/standardization across the versions.

Of course, the die change is merely a concern on my part that may not be shared by many. If all of you are okay with the level of granularity the d6 offers then let keep it.

So the very first question is "is it necessary?". If neither you or Bissler (and any others whom care to comment on this) don't mind it, then we can ignore this and move on to other things. :)

Quote:
2) Personally, I've never had a problem with the Flyer, Floater, & AA rules as they are, or even as they were in Epic 2nd. I've seen that some people do have problems with them. Would someone be so kind as to list exactly what the problems you are having are? [May need it's own thread.]

Indeed it may need a separate thread. ;)

To keep it brief, the main concern is how powerful aircraft is versus an opponent with none, or just AA. Of course an opponent with neither air cover or AA is asking to be hurt by air power (as in real life combat), but it has been often said that a defender with just AA may still be "inadequate".

That may mean that the problem lies more with AA than the actual aircraft, but I have tried several solutions that have not been satisfactory.

I do like that addition made by a forum member on how to resolve aerial combat (rolling d6's per CAF factor). I would still tweak it, but its a good start.

I'll leave it short for now, but we can revisit it in more depth on its own thread. :)

Quote:
3) You say: "They don't seem to act like actual command at all most of the times." Would you please define exactly what you feel that "actual" Command should act like? Of course, in the context of a game like this.

Bissler touched on some of it, so I'll try to offer some examples.

SM HQ's for example, really don't serve any purpose other than using it as a "4th detachment", to either burn activations (to gain an advantage and save other detachments for later). Also, given they don't affect the functioning of the detachments they command, they are often used in an aggressive fashion charging far away from the formations they supposedly command to either secure objectives on their own, or to engage lone targets via close combat or shooting (the preferred method). I have seen and played many games where the so called "HQ" unit can be on the other side of the battlefield from their formation.

I have even seen "ad hoc" HQ formations made out of several HQ's from different formations acting together. While it may be an effective ploy, there is no real command function being preformed. It's like you have one "special unit" in a company that does whatever it wants with no relation to the rest of the formation. If it were called anything other than a command unit it would be fine, but as the supposed HQ, one finds many uses for it other than and true "command function".

Squat warlords and squat bike HQ's are subject to the same "abuses", since they too have no need to remain close to their formations. In the case of the squat bike warlord it increasingly worse, since it has the speed to span goods chunks of the battlefield on charge and fire a weapon with a good modifier on first fire. Used this way, they are actually specialized "seek and destroy" units. Not that this is bad, but they are supposed to be commanders and as they stand they work best used aggressively with little regard to the formation they command.

Of course it less of an issue with IG or orks, because the rules require them to stay within some radius, but event those seem that the value is in its "charge and first fire" capability rather than any real command value.

Quote:
A large number of Command models already do have other uses. Many have Inspirational, Medic, Psyker, or other various Special Abilities that define their role on the battlefield. Anything they do other than just being Command is defined by what other Special Abilities they have. Generally speaking, the weaponry such a squad has is minimal anyway, so I don't see any problem with them getting the permanent First Fire. After all, with the Points Formula, they pay for it.

There is no problem with any additional abilities, particularly from units with command functions AND another ability, since usually these are better left close to the units they "command" so they may benefit from that ability.

Oddly enough these units act more like command units than the actual "HQ" unit! ;D

Quote:
I could agree with the proposed idea of forcing a Morale check for any associated formations if their Command model(s) were destroyed. In my view, this should be limited to such Command models as come with a Company or ones that have been attached to another Formation (like the Commissar model).

Perhaps a change to the rules that Command models from Special Formations cannot capture objectives (unless attached to a formation that can do so) would also help define their role more clearly.

Bissler and you have made some good suggestions that I think can solve this issue.

1. If the HQ unit is lost the remaining formations check for morale (even if they have not reached the break point). As you point out this only applies to the overall HQ unit of a company formation or attached units like a commissar.
2. Command models cannot secure an objective unless attached to a formation
3. Command models are activated with another formation in the company they command. This eliminates "milking activations" with lone HQ units.

I think these should solve any concerns.

Quote:
4) If you want a game in which which Morale has a bigger impact, try running a Guard force against a Chaos force heavy with Daemons. You will be rolling, and failing, Morale checks left and right. How big an impact Morale has is very dependent on which army you are running and which you are fighting against.

Also, in the Points Formula, an army with a lot of great Morale values will be paying for them. Compare the values for Space Marine formations with Sisters of Battle, or with Orks.

Probably about the best we could do with changing when Break Point is considered would be add a mini end Phase to the end of every Phase (Movement, Combat, etc) instructing each player to check each currently unbroken formation to see if it has taken enough casualties to have to make a Morale check, and then to do so if warranted.

I would not be in favor of immediate second rolls as then the Fallback condition has less meaning. An alternative might be to allow the second check after a number Phases equal to the amount by which the Morale check was failed. Thus as there are four Phases per game turn (Orders, Movement, Combat, End) if a model has a Morale value of 5 and rolls a 1 at the end of the Combat Phase in turn 2, they would be able to make their second Morale check to rally at the end of the fourth Phase after that, which would be the end of the Combat Phase in turn 3. If they had instead rolled a 4, they could try to rally at the end of the End Phase in turn 2.

Another idea could be to have a second Morale threshold happen when the formation has taken losses equal to half of those remaining when the primary Break Point was reached. For example, a Company with 30 models that has a Break Point of 15 would have to make a Morale check once they lost 15 models. This idea means that they would have to make another check when they lose another 7 models (half of 15 rounded down). The second roll could be at a one point penalty. Admittedly, this would mostly only affect Companies, but it could make Morale have more impact.

I like the last idea. It's simple to remember without much added complication. 1st break point is at standard value for morale and the second break point is done at a -1 penalty.

We should try this out this way and then see if it needs further tweaking.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

Quote:
"MagnusIlluminus"]Interesting thoughts. A few of mine.

It seems you, Bissler and I would prefer a d10. As I have mentioned I would vastly prefer the d10, for all the reasons you have mentioned. Perhaps I am wrong in thinking there will be more resistance towards it. We'll see what others think, but if more express favor for the d10 then that would makes things simpler.

I'm not overly concerned with platinum and gold being different. Even if the die did not change I feel that the cost formulas and different formation rules would make it play differently from "stock" gold version. Of course, as you mention it would be nice to have that uniformity/standardization across the versions.

Of course, the die change is merely a concern on my part that may not be shared by many. If all of you are okay with the level of granularity the d6 offers then let keep it.

So the very first question is "is it necessary?". If neither you or Bissler (and any others whom care to comment on this) don't mind it, then we can ignore this and move on to other things. :)

If we were to change from d6, I would definitely prefer d10. Calculating odds is way simpler than 2d6 and as Bissler points out, speed rolling would be a hell of a lot easier with d10 than 2d6.

As much as I like the idea of changing from d6, I'm not sure if it's really necessary (except for my alternate Titan damage tables ;D ) and I think there would be much resistance to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The idea about activating HQs with a detachment from the company is one I'm already doing. It is better.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, my two cents, I don't have a problem with the current D6 system, it works 'ok' and other options seem to have wider implications on the game mechanics (reading the above comments). I've never had an issue with fliers or AA maybe I'm playing the game incorrectly but the current rules are nice, simple and deadly! Most flier combat is over by the end of the second turn (close combats aka dog fights). I agree CU's need to be tweaked and like the sound of CU's not being able to secure objectives without a supporting unit and affecting morale if destroyed. I've always liked the idea of platinum tidying up the existing rules, introducing 'new' units and incorporating missing units such as the Warmonger Titan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I apologize if my post sounded like I prefer D10 to D6, as I do not. I would prefer the core mechanic to remain 1D6 based. IF (and that's a big if) it HAD to change, I would prefer 1D10 over 2D6. I could even make a case for changing to 1D20 as that would add lots of granularity and lots of room to customize modifiers, and possibly add compatibility with, shall we say, other game systems... ;)

Of course Platinum would play a bit differently than Gold. That is to be expected with variably sized formations. However, changing the core die mechanic used would mean that the two could not be used in the same battle. It was my understanding that this was a priority for Platinum, to bring players together in compatible games, and to NOT divide the already small player-base further by making yet another incompatible game.

As to Flyers being 'overpowered' I suspect that a lot of that imbalance will be resolved by their proportionally higher point cost from the Formula. Since the models will cost more, fewer will see play in any given battle, and thus they will have a lower impact on the game. Similarly, the Formula will let a player build their own AA models should they feel the available ones to be inadequate, so that may resolve itself as well.

You still failed to actually describe how you think that a Command should act, but rather continued describing how you feel that they should not be acting. Well, it's not what I wanted to see, but let's see what I can get from what you posted.

With Squat, it has always been my understanding that their Command models (the Warlord, Hearthguard, & Guildmaster at the least) do have to maintain coherency with the formation they come with. At least, they did in 2nd edition. If NetEpic changed that, then it created it's own problem. Also, in 2nd the Guildmaster did not have the Command ability. That was apparently added for NetEpic. While it makes some sense for it to have Command, it should still have to maintain coherency with the rest of the formation it was purchased with.

I have no problem with the HQ models being apart from the rest of their troops because they all have wireless communications gear as standard issue. At least, most armies would. (Orks likely don't, but all Orks have latent psychic ability so that's less of an issue.) It's not as if they have to shout all of their orders to their troops in person. Besides, the "true" command for the army is off table in the form of the player. The HQ models on the table are just the units in charge of this specific force.

Another consideration could be whether GW designed the game this way intentionally or if it is an abuse that has only come up recently. I'll have to see about looking at some old battle reports that GW published and see how they used their Command and HQ models on the table. The point here is that if GW also played their Command and HQ models in the way you describe, that would indicate that it is how the game is intended to function. If they don't, then it isn't and should be fixed.

To put that another way, you presented that as "this is a problem that needs to be fixed" but you really should have said "Is this a problem, and if so how shall we fix it?" Personally, I don't see a problem with how they are used. You seem to see a problem, but are unable to describe how you think they should act, or how a "true command" would act.

Keep in mind, this is a game about heroism in combat where the majority of the factions believe in leading from the front. In reality, the "true command" never see the front lines personally, as they command from the (relative) safety of secure bunkers well behind the lines, or even on different continents. In game, they could even be on different planets. The command models on the table are the heroes and high ranking officers sent out to inspire their troops and help insure victory, so acting on their own is less of an issue.

If we determine that anything needs changing, and I'm not sure it does, I've had two more thoughts about this. 1) Instead of forcing a Morale check when the model(s) are destroyed, perhaps that just worsens the Morale value of the Company by one point instead. By losing their powerful leader, they become slightly demoralized, but not enough to invoke any immediate panic. 2) When the command or HQ model(s) are destroyed, the remaining detachments are unable to receive orders in following turns or just for the next turn. This would be a far more severe punishment that would represent the loss of their chain-of-command, and is already used by certain forces. Of course, adding either of those as default would change how the game plays, but so would any of the other options.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

It seems there is unanimity on leaving it as a d6 system, so we can put that to rest. :)

It also seems most like how the flyer system works as is, so we'll leave that alone as well.

Magnus, I misunderstood what you wanted explained. But also you made me think if it is a problem at all. I guess I'm just not satisfied on how it all works. But non-satisfaction is not the same as non-functioning

I guess that how I would like them to behave would require to much change in the system as is. Morale is highly abstracted in the game and that has always "irked me". My idea of a proper morale system is more akin to games like DSII, future war commander or my Heresy rules.

At this point I think only two minor things need be added:

1. HQ units may not secure an objective without being attached to a friendly formation
2. If the HQ is eliminated the morale value of the remaining formation is decreased by one (I really like this idea from Magnus, its far easier to remember than any of the other ideas).

If everyone agrees with this then all issues will be resolved. :)

In summary Platinum would mainly cover:

1. New balanced points formula
2. New formations
3. Addition of newer units that have been added to 40k lore

This means the only real heavy lift to do is making new units.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Would it maybe be possible to put those changes entirely in the army books, and just refine the Gold core rules slightly? You could then have one rulebook, and could maybe have a classic and platinum version of each army book (classic explaining cards and with the original army formations but with the new costs, platinum using new formations, cutting out old unit types and adding new ones). This way both methods of army building would be compatible and there would only be one set of rules to maintain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bruticus wrote:
Would it maybe be possible to put those changes entirely in the army books, and just refine the Gold core rules slightly? You could then have one rulebook, and could maybe have a classic and platinum version of each army book (classic explaining cards and with the original army formations but with the new costs, platinum using new formations, cutting out old unit types and adding new ones). This way both methods of army building would be compatible and there would only be one set of rules to maintain.

Hi!

I suppose anything is possible. ;)

I've not decided on how to format these once done. I'll leave that discussion for a later date.

However given the opinions I have seen on the matter, combined as well as separate books may be the way to do it. Both illustrated and text only.

It's more a matter of the time involved in doing it.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules