Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

[NE Plat] New Formation Arrangement For Building Armies

Post subject: Re: [NE Plat] New Formation Arrangement For Building Armies
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Long time no input here, im a busy man!

I have read through this thread, and I really like the original idea put out in the opening post. It gives the players the flexibility to use whatever organisation they want. As to the question of assault troops in rhinos or not etc, it makes sense to me at least that the assault troops lose their rhinos. I would like to see them keep the ability to be transported in thunderhawks though. Perhaps if it was really an issue they could take up 2 slots, due to their bulky kit.

One area of concern for me is the idea of having multiple lists. The epic "community" is fragmented enough. Personally I think there should be 1 set of lists for platinum. Do away with the confusing standard and codex and optional etc!!! Its bloody confusing, ive being playing epic since the 1st edition, I find it all confusing, imagine how a new play would see it.

The way Mattman has laid out the options in the opening post is straight forward, and customisable to a degree. Well done that man!

;D
Steve

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The majority of the discussion about 'multiple lists' had nothing to do with Codex or Standard, and had to do with edition. For example, if you had one player who built their army with 1st edition Epic cost lists and another player who used 2nd edition cost lists, these two players could not fight each other with those armies. Despite having (mostly) the same models, the cost structure is very different between the two and they are not compatible. This is essentially what was being discussed above. Gold will retain it's formation structure and costs (with optional costs presented for the Points Formula to make them compatible with Platinum) and Platinum will have it's own formation structure entirely based on the modern rules and fluff, and using the Points Formula to determine costs. It was my understanding that we decided that Platinum would have only it's own list in it.

I personally don't find the distinction between Standard and Codex lists to be confusing at all, and I have also been playing since 1st edition. Just think of each as their own Faction and you should be fine. But different people think differently.

I do agree that calling anything "optional" at this point is somewhat silly, as all of it is long since out of production. I'd vote to remove that designation entirely from Gold. At this point, everything is "optional".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I get all that. In my capacity as "casual observer...who might chime in every now and then" I have the impression that what we are trying to achieve with Platinum is an updated, more user friendly, inclusive and streamlined rules set.

I can only speak for myself, but I would much prefer the lists to be as Mattman has laid them out. It means everyone can use them, regardless of whether their armies were created for netepic or EA or SM or whatever. For me a SM list is a SM list. once we have that done, then variant lists can follow, such as dark angels etc. What I was trying (badly) to say was that the whole codex/standard thing be dropped. I dont see the point in it other to further complicate things.

Totally agree with the whole optional rule thing as well, its either in or its out! ;D

On an unrelated note, do we really have to keep up with all the nonsense that GW continually put out? 40k is garbage, and has been for many years, im more inclined to try to create army lists etc for the current ranges of figures from dark realm, steel crown etc. These small companies actually support the hobby unlike GW.

Feel free to disagree, or ignore me as you see fit, just my 2 p.

Steve :spin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, I thought you weren't quite understanding the discussion. My bad.

More than likely, Platinum won't have any trace of Standard vs Codex lists, but rather have the format with various options, so that shouldn't be an issue. Still, we'd have to have Mattman comment on that as I'm not involved in that in any way. Well, I am developing the Point Formula, so I guess I'm kind-of involved indirectly.

The thought, as far as I can tell, with "keeping up with the latest in W40K" is really just adding the units themselves so as to possibly attract more players, and give people more options. I haven't kept up with the latest myself, so it won't affect me much, but I still think it's a good idea. Give people options.

Actually, feel free to go ahead and convert other army lists to NetEpic. The Bissler is doing exactly that in another thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I think if there are armies you own but don't exist for Epic then make up your own background and army lists Yorkie (I know this sounds cheeky but I don't mean it that way). As Magnus mentioned, I'm working on rules for new armies from the Plasmablast lines. If there are people out there who own the same minis, what can be more satisfying than the idea that they'll be using your rules? ;)

So far as 40K goes, I don't really have much interest in deviating from the classic lists but I think Matt's idea to update the armies could prove to be very important for Net Epic to continue to thrive in the future. The new army lists may entice current 40k players to try out Net Epic. More importantly, several E:A players have thought about playing Net Epic but were put off by different formations. My understanding is that Matt is trying to bring the lists together (but maybe I'm wrong about this). If that is the case I think E:A players might be more willing to try the new systems.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yorkie, the idea of platinum is to let people make their own formations based on what they have available. While the "traditional" lists can be reproduced they will not be any "default" lists. No codex or standard or anything.

That is the point of making the points formula and to make it as balanced and mathematically cohesive as possible (thanks to Magnus!!), that way there is less danger of "over the top" forces with a free form formations.

I for one have never used "standard" formations. Heck I still use the old regimental AT1 formation for my army building.

The use of the new formula and the newer more liberal formation building is what will make Platinum different from Gold.

Gold is the legacy edition, for those whom love it and would like a stable non-changing edition.

Platinum seeks to go into other things, the points formula and formation building being prime amongst the new features.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apologies for not being around much, work and personal life has been hectic of late. Though I have been dipping in and out of the marine stats re-working when I get the chance. I plan on posting a few tit bits from the full list in due course.

Much of what everyone has said is true and what I envisioned when I started the re-write of the Marine list.
The gold rule set is its own thing, barring a few changes, it is done and dusted and people can play with it without having to worry about a significant change coming round the corner.
I see Platinum as a chance to establish a new base line for all the armies based on how they structured in the current era of 40k. This means formations and troops and changes that have been introduced over the last 20 years since 2nd Ed SM. If we are to attract new blood into the game, it will be from players of current 40k who will want to see the army they use replicated in 6mm scale. But ... we don't want to alienate the current players, so the work is all about trying to create something that will work (as much as possible) for all players. The solution won't be 100% right for all players, as there may have to be small sacrifices on both sides to make a workable system.

Other army lists should be easier to bring up to date as they are not as structured as Marines.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Apologies for not being around much, work and personal life has been hectic of late. Though I have been dipping in and out of the marine stats re-working when I get the chance. I plan on posting a few tit bits from the full list in due course.

Much of what everyone has said is true and what I envisioned when I started the re-write of the Marine list.
The gold rule set is its own thing, barring a few changes, it is done and dusted and people can play with it without having to worry about a significant change coming round the corner.
I see Platinum as a chance to establish a new base line for all the armies based on how they structured in the current era of 40k. This means formations and troops and changes that have been introduced over the last 20 years since 2nd Ed SM. If we are to attract new blood into the game, it will be from players of current 40k who will want to see the army they use replicated in 6mm scale. But ... we don't want to alienate the current players, so the work is all about trying to create something that will work (as much as possible) for all players. The solution won't be 100% right for all players, as there may have to be small sacrifices on both sides to make a workable system.

Other army lists should be easier to bring up to date as they are not as structured as Marines.

Matt

Hi!

Welcome back and looking forward to seeing the formations you've made!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, the formations haven't been looked at much at the moment, making sure I get the stats into a reasonable state first.
Though I will divulge in due course what has been eating up most of my time and money recently. It is wargames related, but only slightly to do with Epic ;) ;D

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can you explain why you buy rhinos in twos?

However, I still like cards. I'd like company cards that just state the points options - with a blank 'total' section where I write in what costs. I like using them to track casualties, and laying them out is so much more tactile and exciting than filling in an excel spreadsheet...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nedius wrote:

However, I still like cards. I'd like company cards that just state the points options - with a blank 'total' section where I write in what costs. I like using them to track casualties, and laying them out is so much more tactile and exciting than filling in an excel spreadsheet...

Hi!

I like cards too, but those will have to wait until everything is done. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nedius wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi I've been reading through this and I have been working on a list selector similar to FoW I have two armies in progress and if interested I will let you know how it plays

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 174.91 KiB | Viewed 2391 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Points are being played with at the moment but I am working on legion specific lists too for example Iron Warrior siege breakers.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 209.86 KiB | Viewed 2390 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How it looks with miniatures

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 2381 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next