Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

The Great Points Formula Debate!

Post subject: Re: The Great Points Formula Debate!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Regarding command structure, the baseline seems to be "none", so I agree those that are forced to use one will have to get some sort of discount to fairly access the restriction.

primarch wrote:
Morale.

Since morale and command radius is more an army dependent variable than the actual model, I thought once you form your formation an added cost to the total of the formation could be added to better reflect the advantages of a given army list.

As I believe Magnus' mentioned, IG and Orks will be sort of a baseline where they have NO ADDED cost to their formations since they have the most restrictive command radius and the other armies with better command (no restriction) pay for the privilege.

Actually, I proposed exactly the opposite, which you agreed to. That is, that requiring NO Command radius would be the norm and thus no cost, while requiring one would give a discount.

primarch wrote:
There are two ways to do this. One is a flat across the board added formation cost per army. It is one value for all formations in that army regardless of the actual morale that individual formations may have since this number is more of an "average" of the armies effectiveness.

So you are proposing moving from a very detailed unit-building system to a very abstracted detachment building system? Seems like a break in continuity to me.

primarch wrote:
OR

Assign two added values, one for the army and one for the morale.

I do not understand what you are trying to say here. Are you trying to create a third tier at which costs are placed: the Army? What is this 'army value' supposed to be. Also, don't forget about Break Point.

primarch wrote:
I would think just one value (however determined) would be more efficient.

Yes, having an abstractly determined value would be simpler, but it would not take into account the ability of the units nor their numbers. And what about units that are Independent or Robotic or Fearless? Doing this says that these abilities have no value.

primarch wrote:
Suggested values per formation in armies would be:

IG - no additional cost
Orks - no additional cost
Squats and Tau- 25 points per formation
Eldar, chaos and Marines - 50 points per formation
Tyranids and Necrons (or any army that has a preponderance of fearless units) - 75 points per formation

Thus a IG formation worth 250 points would remain unchanged.

A squat formation worth 250 points would be modified to 275 points

A marine formation worth 250 points is now 300.

A Tyranid formation worth 250 is now 325.

Thoughts?

Primarch

Actually, there is a third way, which is what I (began to) detail a few posts above. That is, that the cost of a detachment should be adjusted due to four factors. Break Point, Morale, Command structure, and Formation type. As a note, I favor using percentages for this step as it means that the cost will be higher for larger groups and for more powerful models, while smaller and/or less powerful ones will be hit less. Each of the four following costs should be determined from the base formation cost (the sum of the calculated unit costs multiplied by how many of them there are in the formation), and then the base formation cost adjusted by each in turn.

For Break Point, what I suggested above would probably be fine (IE adjust the cost of a formation by the percentage that the Break Point varies from 50%). The fact that the Tau army formations have different point costs when they have different Break Points supports this suggestion.

The default Morale value should probably be 4 (Guardsman / Ork) so that the few formations with values of 5 would get a 10% discount, whereas those with better values would cost more in increments of 10%. Thus:
Morale 5: -10%
Morale 4: no change
Morale 3: +10%
Morale 2: +20%
Fearless or Morale "--": +30%

As Bissler mentioned, the Command radius varies between Orks and Guard, so they should have different costs. Tyranids also have limited Command radii, but these vary depending on the model. I suggest:
Guard: -10%
Tyranid: -15%
Ork: -20%
Models with Independent or Robotic ignore this discount.

As a baseline, perhaps a Company should receive a 10% discount on the cost of the Support Formations that comprise it. Also, it may have Command unit(s) up to a maximum value of 10% (could be 20%, probably not higher than that though) of the final formation cost. If it does not choose to have a free Command model (or three), it may designate one model to be such at no extra cost. (Gains the HQ ability for free.)

A Special Formation could receive a 20% discount to the final formation cost IF the primary model (excluding transport) is not found in any other formation in that Faction. If it does contain non-unique non-transport models, it could receive a discount just because of being a Special, but should only be 10% in that case, and in any event should have some other difference from a Support Formation.

Examples:
A Tactical Marine currently costs 26 points in the new system (different from posted way above due to removing Morale value from unit costs). [If Transport costs 5 per] A Rhino costs 34. A Support Formation of six Tactical Marines and three Rhino would thus cost (26*6=156; 34*3=102; 156+102=) 258 base.
A Company of three formations of Tactical Marines would have a base cost of (258*3=) 774.
Break Point of 50% is no modifier; Morale of 2 is +20% or +154.8; No Command is no modifier; Company gives -10% or -77.4; so final Formation cost is (774+154.8-77.4=) 851, which rounds to 850. It may take free Command units, and selects a Marine HQ (80) and a Rhino (34). These are 114, which is above 10% but lower than 20%, so it's probably good. Thus we have the basic NetEpic Marine Company for only 100 points more than in NetEpic Gold.

A Tactical Guardsman costs 10 in this system, and a Chimera is 42.5.
A Support formation with ten Tactical, of whom one is a SHQ (+15), is thus 115 base. BP of 5 is no mod; Morale 4 is no mod; Being Guard is -10% or -12; Support is no mod; so final formation cost is 103, rounds to 105.
A Tactical Company of three formations would be (105+105+105=315-32=) 283, which rounds to 285. Having a Tactical CHQ (33) should be free. Adding a Commissar (74.1) and Chimera (42.5) should probably not be.
A Support Formation with five Chimera (one SHQ) is thus 227.5 base. BP of 3 is 10% over half so +10% or +22.8; Morale 4; Guard -10% or -22.8; Support; so final is 227.5 or 230.
Thus a Mechanized Tactical Support formation would be (105+230=) 335, or 320 if only one model is SHQ.

Of course, all of the above is only my opinion. Since primarch has stated his opinion and I've stated mine, what do others think?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
primarch wrote:
Regarding command structure, the baseline seems to be "none", so I agree those that are forced to use one will have to get some sort of discount to fairly access the restriction.

primarch wrote:
Morale.

Since morale and command radius is more an army dependent variable than the actual model, I thought once you form your formation an added cost to the total of the formation could be added to better reflect the advantages of a given army list.

As I believe Magnus' mentioned, IG and Orks will be sort of a baseline where they have NO ADDED cost to their formations since they have the most restrictive command radius and the other armies with better command (no restriction) pay for the privilege.

Actually, I proposed exactly the opposite, which you agreed to. That is, that requiring NO Command radius would be the norm and thus no cost, while requiring one would give a discount.

primarch wrote:
There are two ways to do this. One is a flat across the board added formation cost per army. It is one value for all formations in that army regardless of the actual morale that individual formations may have since this number is more of an "average" of the armies effectiveness.

So you are proposing moving from a very detailed unit-building system to a very abstracted detachment building system? Seems like a break in continuity to me.

primarch wrote:
OR

Assign two added values, one for the army and one for the morale.

I do not understand what you are trying to say here. Are you trying to create a third tier at which costs are placed: the Army? What is this 'army value' supposed to be. Also, don't forget about Break Point.

primarch wrote:
I would think just one value (however determined) would be more efficient.

Yes, having an abstractly determined value would be simpler, but it would not take into account the ability of the units nor their numbers. And what about units that are Independent or Robotic or Fearless? Doing this says that these abilities have no value.

primarch wrote:
Suggested values per formation in armies would be:

IG - no additional cost
Orks - no additional cost
Squats and Tau- 25 points per formation
Eldar, chaos and Marines - 50 points per formation
Tyranids and Necrons (or any army that has a preponderance of fearless units) - 75 points per formation

Thus a IG formation worth 250 points would remain unchanged.

A squat formation worth 250 points would be modified to 275 points

A marine formation worth 250 points is now 300.

A Tyranid formation worth 250 is now 325.

Thoughts?

Primarch

Actually, there is a third way, which is what I (began to) detail a few posts above. That is, that the cost of a detachment should be adjusted due to four factors. Break Point, Morale, Command structure, and Formation type. As a note, I favor using percentages for this step as it means that the cost will be higher for larger groups and for more powerful models, while smaller and/or less powerful ones will be hit less. Each of the four following costs should be determined from the base formation cost (the sum of the calculated unit costs multiplied by how many of them there are in the formation), and then the base formation cost adjusted by each in turn.

For Break Point, what I suggested above would probably be fine (IE adjust the cost of a formation by the percentage that the Break Point varies from 50%). The fact that the Tau army formations have different point costs when they have different Break Points supports this suggestion.

The default Morale value should probably be 4 (Guardsman / Ork) so that the few formations with values of 5 would get a 10% discount, whereas those with better values would cost more in increments of 10%. Thus:
Morale 5: -10%
Morale 4: no change
Morale 3: +10%
Morale 2: +20%
Fearless or Morale "--": +30%

As Bissler mentioned, the Command radius varies between Orks and Guard, so they should have different costs. Tyranids also have limited Command radii, but these vary depending on the model. I suggest:
Guard: -10%
Tyranid: -15%
Ork: -20%
Models with Independent or Robotic ignore this discount.

As a baseline, perhaps a Company should receive a 10% discount on the cost of the Support Formations that comprise it. Also, it may have Command unit(s) up to a maximum value of 10% (could be 20%, probably not higher than that though) of the final formation cost. If it does not choose to have a free Command model (or three), it may designate one model to be such at no extra cost. (Gains the HQ ability for free.)

A Special Formation could receive a 20% discount to the final formation cost IF the primary model (excluding transport) is not found in any other formation in that Faction. If it does contain non-unique non-transport models, it could receive a discount just because of being a Special, but should only be 10% in that case, and in any event should have some other difference from a Support Formation.

Examples:
A Tactical Marine currently costs 26 points in the new system (different from posted way above due to removing Morale value from unit costs). [If Transport costs 5 per] A Rhino costs 34. A Support Formation of six Tactical Marines and three Rhino would thus cost (26*6=156; 34*3=102; 156+102=) 258 base.
A Company of three formations of Tactical Marines would have a base cost of (258*3=) 774.
Break Point of 50% is no modifier; Morale of 2 is +20% or +154.8; No Command is no modifier; Company gives -10% or -77.4; so final Formation cost is (774+154.8-77.4=) 851, which rounds to 850. It may take free Command units, and selects a Marine HQ (80) and a Rhino (34). These are 114, which is above 10% but lower than 20%, so it's probably good. Thus we have the basic NetEpic Marine Company for only 100 points more than in NetEpic Gold.

A Tactical Guardsman costs 10 in this system, and a Chimera is 42.5.
A Support formation with ten Tactical, of whom one is a SHQ (+15), is thus 115 base. BP of 5 is no mod; Morale 4 is no mod; Being Guard is -10% or -12; Support is no mod; so final formation cost is 103, rounds to 105.
A Tactical Company of three formations would be (105+105+105=315-32=) 283, which rounds to 285. Having a Tactical CHQ (33) should be free. Adding a Commissar (74.1) and Chimera (42.5) should probably not be.
A Support Formation with five Chimera (one SHQ) is thus 227.5 base. BP of 3 is 10% over half so +10% or +22.8; Morale 4; Guard -10% or -22.8; Support; so final is 227.5 or 230.
Thus a Mechanized Tactical Support formation would be (105+230=) 335, or 320 if only one model is SHQ.

Of course, all of the above is only my opinion. Since primarch has stated his opinion and I've stated mine, what do others think?

Hi!

Ah, indeed the your third way is ultimately simpler as well as mathematically sound. :)

I did not think of expressing cost as a percentage (much less assigning a discount as one), so I think it achieves what I would like it too.

Also, it addresses some issues with cost in relation to what type of formation it is, which is something I didn't think of.

I believe all that is left are your thoughts on units with templates and we would be done and ready to apply it to the army lists.

Thanks for the thorough help and examples!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just going to throw this there, but if we go down the formation route that I will be posting shortly, then it might scupper some of the plans for the pointing system being proposed. I am looking to make things a little flexible. :)

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Just going to throw this there, but if we go down the formation route that I will be posting shortly, then it might scupper some of the plans for the pointing system being proposed. I am looking to make things a little flexible. :)

Matt

Hi!

How so?

If I remember correctly, any points system would just substitute the values in your examples. What Magnus proposed are just points adjustments and not any formation changes or such like some of my ideas.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But Magnus is proposing that things like HQ units will be free depending on the overall cost of a formation, the cost of the formation won't actually be known until you have decided what transports and upgrades you want to take during army building.
There is nothing to stop you doing that for the base cost of the formation, but that "10%" boundary will be lower than expected.

Hopefully I will get the formation stuff posted tomorrow, been a bit tied up at home.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
But Magnus is proposing that things like HQ units will be free depending on the overall cost of a formation, the cost of the formation won't actually be known until you have decided what transports and upgrades you want to take during army building.
There is nothing to stop you doing that for the base cost of the formation, but that "10%" boundary will be lower than expected.

Hopefully I will get the formation stuff posted tomorrow, been a bit tied up at home.

Matt

Hi!

Ah, post your stuff when you can and with all the information, we'll hammer something out. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, nothing is set in stone by any means. As you may have noticed from the two examples of NEG Companies, the value of the Command units was always more than 10% anyway. My intention was that the value of the free Command units would be determined by the final cost for the formation, whatever that may wind up being. Of course, the examples above were intentionally trying to recreate existing formations to show how the old formations could be used with the points system being developed. I was not intending to imply that only the old formations could be used. Quite the opposite, anyone should be able to create any style of formation that they like, and can field.

On a different point, I've been thinking about primarch's proposed values for SA above. I've decided to lower all of them (except Transport) by 5 points to help combat the 'points-creep' that is already happening. I've made slight modifications to a few others, and added a couple. Ah heck, here's the list:

Artificial Intelligence - 2 points (and see Morale)
Chapter Master Special - 15
Combat Leader - 10 points
Combat Engineer - 10 points
Daemonic- 10 points
Daemon Hunter - 10 points
Deep Strike - 20 points
Forward Observer Special - 10 points
Hard to Hit - 15 points
Hit & Run - 10 points
Headquarters (HQ) - 10
Infiltration - 20 points
Inorganic - 5 points
Inquisitor Special - 15
Inspirational - 10
Medic - 15 points
Mechanic - 15 points
Multiple Wounds - 20 points per wound
Psychic Save 6+ - 10 points
Psychic Save 5+ - 20 points
Psychic Save 4+ - 30 points
Psyker - 20 points
Regeneration - 20 points
Robotic - see morale
Sniper - 20 points
Static Artillery - see morale
Stealth - 20 points
Teleport - 20 points
Transport - 4 points per model/capacity of transport
- Open-Top Vehicle - halves cost per model (-2 per slot)
- may carry Vehicles as three slots - increases Transport cost by half (+2 per slot)
Void Shield - 10 per shield
Titan Weapon Hardpoint (Praetorian or Titan only) - 15 per

I'll be adding more to the SA list as I continue through the various factions, but so far the Marines are "done", with the exception of Titans.

I looked a little more closely at my thought about costing Template Weapons by multiplying the dimensions and decided that the values returned were just too high. As examples, a normal 6cm Barrage Template would have a value of 36 before adjusting for 'to hit' and TSM; a Flamer Template (the larger one) would be 6*25 or 150! Tentatively, I've decided to divide the x*y value by 10 and round to the nearest whole number. This has the side effect of returning Barrage Weapons back to a base value of 4.

With the above notes, and excepting Titans, I now have "final" values for all common use Marine units. Note these are just unit/model costs, not formation costs.

Unit: Calculated value (NEG value)

Apothecary: 49 (50)
Assault HQ: 89.5 (0)
Assault: 35.5 (35)
Chaplain: 78 (75)
Chapter Master: 127 (100)
Devastator: 42 (50)
Flamer: 28 (35)
Forward Observer: 64 (50)
Grey Knight: 147.2 (100)
Inquisitor: 164.8 (100)
Legion ot Damned: 86 (50)
Librarian: 62 (100)
Marine HQ: 70 (0)
OM Inquisitor: 139 (150)
Scout: 36 (25)
Tactical: 26 (35)
Techmarine: 49 (100)
Terminator CA: 74 (45)
Terminator HQ: 119.2 (0)
Terminator: 79 (45)
Veteran: 46 (42.5)
Veteran HQ: 82 (na)
Attack Bike: 36 (35)
LS Tornado: 52 (40)
LS Typhoon: 50 (40)
Land Speeder: 56 (40)
Marine Bike: 29 (30)
Contemptor (old): 43.35 (50)
Deredeo: 45.35 (50)
Furibundus: 45.35 (50)
Punisher / Contemptor Mk2: 61.35 (50)
Venerable: 73.65 (?)
Robot: 42 (25)
Scatolo Combat 75.1 (25)
Scatolo Assault: 53.35 (37.5)
Scatolo Heavy Support: 45.35 (37.5)
Hunter AA: 70 (50)
Land Raider: 86 (85)
LR Crusader: 78.1 (100)
LR Helios: 100 (140)
Predator: 68 (65)
Razorback: 46 (65)
Rhino: 32 (15)
Sabre: 40 (35)
Vindicator: 64 (50)
Mole Mortar: 31.25 (35)
Rapier: 18 (25)
Tarantula: 45 (30)
Thudd Gun: 27 (35)
Whirlwind: 56 (50)
Thunderbolt: 168 (85)
Marauder: 204 (115)
Thunderhawk: 292 (100)
Dropship: 428 (300)
Warhound: 277 (125)
Reaver: 205 (300)
Warlord: 230 (500)

If anyone wants to see detailed breakdown(s) for specific units, just ask.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Oh, nothing is set in stone by any means. As you may have noticed from the two examples of NEG Companies, the value of the Command units was always more than 10% anyway. My intention was that the value of the free Command units would be determined by the final cost for the formation, whatever that may wind up being. Of course, the examples above were intentionally trying to recreate existing formations to show how the old formations could be used with the points system being developed. I was not intending to imply that only the old formations could be used. Quite the opposite, anyone should be able to create any style of formation that they like, and can field.

That's cool. Just didn't want people to get to far down the rabbit hole ;D

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No worries. I imagine that if we try to merge the two systems, we'll both have to make concessions here and there. Of course, we wouldn't have to merge them, but that seems to be the most likely scenario.

The framework I'm working on as posted above, and still in development, can be used to recreate the existing formation structures, but is really aimed at people who make up their own unique units. For example, someone creates a new infantry unit for Guard based off of some obscure fluff. They could then build a Support formation of that, take said Support formation and combine it with an Ogryn formation and a Beastmen formation to make a Company that is entirely unique to that player, but is still balanced (theoretically) against a player using only book formations.

Oh, and I find I tend to live down one rabbit hole or another. It's fun down here... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm noticing an odd thing in the Chaos list. The core rules has a SA called "Daemonic" that has been given a points cost above, but there are no units in the Chaos Codex that specifically have this ability. Many units have a Special that functions very similarly, in whole or in part, but none are exactly that ability. Is there any point to that ability? Are some units considered to have it in addition to their listed abilities? Presumably the actual Daemons would, but what about Daemon Engines?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
I'm noticing an odd thing in the Chaos list. The core rules has a SA called "Daemonic" that has been given a points cost above, but there are no units in the Chaos Codex that specifically have this ability. Many units have a Special that functions very similarly, in whole or in part, but none are exactly that ability. Is there any point to that ability? Are some units considered to have it in addition to their listed abilities? Presumably the actual Daemons would, but what about Daemon Engines?

Hi!

"Angelic" is also included for the authors sense of "completeness".

I don't think we need those in the platinum version. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
MagnusIlluminus wrote:

Hi!

Primarch

Just to be clear, you are saying that it was intentional that no units in the Chaos Codex have that ability and instead have their own, individual abilities? If so, I'm going to just ignore "Daemonic" in preference to the specific Special each unit has.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
primarch wrote:
MagnusIlluminus wrote:

Hi!

Primarch

Just to be clear, you are saying that it was intentional that no units in the Chaos Codex have that ability and instead have their own, individual abilities? If so, I'm going to just ignore "Daemonic" in preference to the specific Special each unit has.

Hi!

Yup. Beyond the core rules it doesn't exist. It is not referenced anywhere in the chaos book, nor does any unit have it.

I'm not really sure why its in the core book. Not surprising given the many errors and such we've dragged for years.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know you said that the points in your examples in the other thread were just placeholders Mattman, but I decided to see what they would be using this system.

To make the Battle Company requires knowing the values for three Detachments: Tactical, Assault, and Devastator. While I did do a 6 squad Tactical Detachment above, it included Rhinos, so it must be redone.

A Tactical Marine costs 26 in this system, thus a Detachment of 6 would cost 156 base. [Assuming the same values as in NEG] Break Point of 50% is no modifier; Morale of 2 is +20% or +31.2; No Command is no modifier; Support is no modifier; so final formation cost is 187.2 which rounds to 185.

An Assault Marine costs 35.5, thus a Detachment of 4 would be 142 base. Break Point of 50% is no modifier; Morale of 2 is +20% or +28.8; No Command is no modifier; Support is no mod; so final formation cost is 170.8 which rounds to 170.

A 6 squad formation of Assault Marines would be 213 base and +42.6 for 255.6 rounds to 255 final. Difference of 85.

A Devastator Marine costs 42, thus a Detachment of 4 would be 168 base. Break Point of 50% is no modifier; Morale of 2 is +20% or +33.6; No Command is no modifier; Support is no mod; so final cost is 201.6 which rounds to 200.

A 6 squad formation of Devastators would be 252 base and +50.4 for 302.4 rounds to 300 final. Difference of 100.

Thus each Tactical formation adds 185, the base Assault adds 170, and the base Devastator adds 200. Thus the base cost is 710. Removing one Tactical and upgrading the base Assault and Devastator with their expanded counterparts results in removing 185 and adding 85 and 100, for a net difference of zero. If we reduce the costs of the Detachments by 10% due to being in a Company formation (-71), then add the value of a Marine HQ squad (70), the net result is no change. Final formation value 710. If the HQ is free, then final would be 640.

Known transport costs would be: (includes +20% from Morale 2)
Transport (cost per vehicle)
Rhino (38)
Razorback (55)
Thunderhawk Gunship (350)

While stats for the Damocles were posted somewhere, I have not done them up as yet. I don't recall seeing stats for the Storm Eagle at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have some rough stats in mind for the Storm Eagle, I will post them at some point.

38 pts a rhino? That seems a little pricey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next