Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Net Epic Evolution Basic Rules & Video Tutorial

Post subject: Re: Net Epic Evolution Basic Rules
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ringo wrote:
Hepp,

I think the IG Company HQ should get it's own activation. In my experience they seldom move together with any of their detachments, operating more as an indipendent unit. Then you won't need to make exceptions for SH companies neither.

Hi!

The problem is that if HQs are allowed to take separate activations it gives SM & IG forces a big advantage. Incidentally, I found this to be a problem with Net Epic Gold as well. Imperial players would use the HQs to force the opposition into moving a fair amount of their forces which never felt satisfactory.

Of course, I'm happy for anyone trying out Evolution rules to play it however they wish! ;)

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
@ringo wrote:
Hepp,

I think the IG Company HQ should get it's own activation. In my experience they seldom move together with any of their detachments, operating more as an indipendent unit. Then you won't need to make exceptions for SH companies neither.

Hi!

The problem is that if HQs are allowed to take separate activations it gives SM & IG forces a big advantage. Incidentally, I found this to be a problem with Net Epic Gold as well. Imperial players would use the HQs to force the opposition into moving a fair amount of their forces which never felt satisfactory.

Of course, I'm happy for anyone trying out Evolution rules to play it however they wish! ;)

Hi!

The use of HQ's an "Activation" sponge is well known. I would prefer them to be activated simultaneously with another formation it commands. It retains its own "independence" or movement and firing, but it doesn't count as a separate activation. It's the only way I have seen that addresses the issue. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Commanders could be attached to a detachment, moving between them if required. it activates and operates with the detachment. I don't feel that Imperial commanders would crack on and do their own thing. They would lead a group and move to one of their other detachments to assist or bolster, a mobile force multiplier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry SquiggleAmp, I hadn't noticed your post. Personally I'd prefer to leave the HQ to behave as they always did but I completely take your point. There would be nothing to stop players assigning HQs to a squad if they wished to though! ;)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just thought I'd mention that play testing has continued on Net Epic Evolution and the system continues to run well. I asked my regular opponent to play Net Epic Gold to try it again and he was dead against it.

Not trashing Gold though, I played several games of it with a different opponent and still enjoyed it greatly!

I played a battle between Squats and Orks which was very interesting; the fact that Gargants on Advance orders could fire in the same phase (I.e. activation phase) really made things more finely balanced.

Previously Squat Praetorians would all have fired before any Gargants on advance orders got a chance, now it was a case of them firing activation to activation which meant the Orks had a better chance of inflicting similar damage on the enemy.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been working on my own rules for 6mm sci fi using Epic miniatures. I've recently just given up on it, I can't get it to work the way I envisioned, and I'd much rather focus on something else.

However, I've also decided to get back into Epic gaming once again, and though I've played E:A in the past (as well as playing Space Marine hundreds of times back in the day), I never really did like E:A as much as others. Too much micro-managing of stats, too many chiefs and not enough braves when it comes to design philosophies. No offence meant by that at all, I appreciate hard work and imagination as much as anyone else.

So, I have made the choice to try out this Epic Evolution thing. Reading through this thread convinced me, and I am looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I don't get to play as much and don't have very many opponents locally to try it out. My friends are big into Warmachine--which is a good game--and have little interest in trying out new games and sticking with them, it seems (especially anything spawn from their hated GW). So, this may be slow going, but I am interested and will use these rules whenever I go get a chance to play.

Finally, what army lists are you using for this game? I may have missed that part and my apologies if I did.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

Last edited by splash on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Splash,

First off, thank you for taking an interest in this, I'm delighted & very much appreciate it.

Evolution is very a reworking of the rules that most Net Epic Gold fans are familiar with and as such I'm using all the same army lists that are available for Net Epic Gold.

Have you played Net Epic or 2nd edition previously?

Anything you're need me to clarify please give me a shout!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played 2nd edition quite a bit about 20 years ago. I play some Armageddon about around the time it was released.

I'll hit you up with anything, thanks for the offer of help.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No problem.

I can tell you that there is an error on the summary sheet; it mentions units firing on those with charge orders will have to apply a -1 to hit modifier. You will not find any reference to this in the rules. This was something being tested to encourage players move units more and to deter them from sitting units back to indulge in a game of long range fire. I found the to hit modifier was unnecessary but you're welcome to try it if you wish.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played a Marines v Eldar game and this was the first Evolution battle that ended up being completely one sided, possibly the most decisive victory I've ever seen...

I won't say much more about it just now as I plan on posting up a battle report but I was shocked by the one way slaughter. I don't think that this was really the fault of Evolution but was a combination of poor tactics and some horrible die rolls for one player. I'm concerned enough though that I'm planning a rematch & swap sides to make sure that it isn't the system that is responsible. Watch this space...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I played a Marines v Eldar game and this was the first Evolution battle that ended up being completely one sided, possibly the most decisive victory I've ever seen...

I won't say much more about it just now as I plan on posting up a battle report but I was shocked by the one way slaughter. I don't think that this was really the fault of Evolution but was a combination of poor tactics and some horrible die rolls for one player. I'm concerned enough though that I'm planning a rematch & swap sides to make sure that it isn't the system that is responsible. Watch this space...

Hi!

Its a good idea to swap sides and see how it goes.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played as Eldar and scored an emphatic win which has relieved my concerns about the Eldar under Evolution rules somewhat. The victory was influenced by capturing 6 objectives but the casualties were relatively even, probably with the Marines suffering slightly heavier losses than the Eldar.

Fellow forum member Craig Mc definitely has some bad luck in the previous game as Eldar including Tempests missing almost everything they fired at.

I think all of this bodes well that Evolution is still working well, it was just the case that there was a few freak results which would have happened under the standard Net Epic rules as well. I'm feeling much happier now!

With regards to the Tarantula problem, I'm thinking giving it 2 separate activations but only if on FF orders is the answer to this.
i.e. A unit of Tarantulas are activated on First Fire rules and gets to fire once. The opponent then deals with one of their own activations. When play reverts back to the player with the Tarantulas, they can be fired again as another activation or later on in the turn instead.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I played as Eldar and scored an emphatic win which has relieved my concerns about the Eldar under Evolution rules somewhat. The victory was influenced by capturing 6 objectives but the casualties were relatively even, probably with the Marines suffering slightly heavier losses than the Eldar.

Fellow forum member Craig Mc definitely has some bad luck in the previous game as Eldar including Tempests missing almost everything they fired at.

I think all of this bodes well that Evolution is still working well, it was just the case that there was a few freak results which would have happened under the standard Net Epic rules as well. I'm feeling much happier now!

With regards to the Tarantula problem, I'm thinking giving it 2 separate activations but only if on FF orders is the answer to this.
i.e. A unit of Tarantulas are activated on First Fire rules and gets to fire once. The opponent then deals with one of their own activations. When play reverts back to the player with the Tarantulas, they can be fired again as another activation or later on in the turn instead.

Hi!

Two activations if it has first fire orders sounds good.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm now getting into the minutiae for Evolution...

Point Defence: I'm not really happy with the current Net Epic Gold assertion that it essentially acts as a seperate unit, particularly for Evolution rules.

Proposal: PD may be used during an activation to fire at nearby enemies OR at the start of the Close Combat phase but only at attacking enemies. It may not be used twice in a turn.
Example: A Land Raider which fired its main armament in the activation phase but not PD is then engaged in Close Combat by Eldar Harlequins. At the start of the Close Combat phase the Land Raider may fire PD at any attackers who have engaged it in CC. Once the PD attack has been resolved, surviving Harlequins fight the Land Raider as normal.

Thoughts?

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I'm now getting into the minutiae for Evolution...

Point Defence: I'm not really happy with the current Net Epic Gold assertion that it essentially acts as a seperate unit, particularly for Evolution rules.

Proposal: PD may be used during an activation to fire at nearby enemies OR at the start of the Close Combat phase but only at attacking enemies. It may not be used twice in a turn.
Example: A Land Raider which fired its main armament in the activation phase but not PD is then engaged in Close Combat by Eldar Harlequins. At the start of the Close Combat phase the Land Raider may fire PD at any attackers who have engaged it in CC. Once the PD attack has been resolved, surviving Harlequins fight the Land Raider as normal.

Thoughts?

Hi!

As long as it fire once per turn it should be okay.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next