Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Net Epic Evolution Basic Rules & Video Tutorial

Post subject: Re: Net Epic Evolution Basic Rules
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
primarch wrote:
The Bissler wrote:
primarch wrote:
splash wrote:
I like this "fog of war" idea, but I think #1 is a bit better--and will cause less game-mechanics problems. Though I do like #2 as well, just not as much.

You could also use a rule where a hidden is revealed even before they activate if an enemy unit gets within X range of them, thus spotting them visually and the targeting equipment takes over from that point on.

Hi!

This would have to be added in order for either to really work well. Of course at this point its looking a lot like SM1 hidden counters use and rules. Not a bad thing, but you could just use those with some modifications.

Primarch

It's totally up to players if they want to have their units hidden, most likely by drawing a map of the battlefield and noting down where their units start. I have no problem with that but it isn't really the purpose of the Fog of War. Instead, I expect players to place their models and units in plain view as normal, it's just that they can't fire at units covered by Fog of War (see my Titan example above, I don't want the situation where units are being destroyed before they have even had the chance to move).

Hi!

There is no real way around the issue of "fire first and kill" in a combined activation mechanic without the adjusting of ranges. You'll find yourself as you do now, having to add "amendments" to a problem without addressing the real issue - range.

Changing the stock rules by making combined activations is not a trivial change. Even when net epic changed the original "IGOUGO" it saw an impact on not only how the game was played, but how different units interact with the rule system.

You can't change something as integral as the turn sequence and not expect something to go awry. The whole initiative shooting first thing is one example, but you and I have run into others like how certain abilities work and are balanced (deep strike, infiltrate) or how close combat works (which trying to integrate that in one activation causes all sorts of headache) amongst other things.

I think, like the standard game you need to take the good with the bad and first shot kills is something you need to live with because granting a whole army "immunity" on turn one, until they activate is a little too contrived for my tastes and penalizes some armies more than others (no massive turn one mycetic spore drops for tyranids).

Its the principal of unintended consequences. I just see way too many with the "hidden" until activated rule. I would just "live with" the first shot first kill scenario.

Of course I would just rather overhaul ranges. ;) ;D

Primarch

I'll hopefully be playing Warhead's Tyranids next week - would have been last night were it not for this damn viral infection. Because I've never seen them in action I don't have any idea how they'd operate in Evolution. I'll think about it after that.

It's not ideal but I don't feel the contrivance to be a problem so long as it works in play which it seems to for Marines, IG, Eldar, Chaos, Orks & Squats all of which have been play tested to lesser or greater degrees under this system now.

I have no issue with players doing as they wish but personally I'd be furious if a Titan armed up with Volcano/Quake Cannon and wiped out a huge number of my troops being carried by transports before they'd even entered play.

Hi!

Its annoying, true. But no more so than 1 turn knockouts due to massive airdrops or certain unique weaponry (vortex, warp, etc). You just need to adapt your placement and tactics.

You game with chaos for example (where the concern derives from), there should have been terrain to hide wierdboy towers behind, or heck hide behind a gargant (my preferred method). There are many way to hide assets without having to use a rule to do so.

Of course, it all comes down to the same two things. Range and cost.

2nd edition space marine on its own was a good game, because it was basic enough and the options were few enough not to run into problems. The SM and ork units in that game on average do not surpass a range of 75cm. Given the units involved not many problems will be experienced.

However once you add in the rest those two variables become manifest and quick frankly cumbersome.

So you have two issues mucking it all up. If you want ranges to stay the way they are then at least do not use the stock points cost system. Using both compounds the problem.

There is NO WAY Magnus is worth 600 points. What he can do is disproportionate with the cost. I bet he would not have even been fielded if his true cost (over 1000 points) was enforced. Combine the ridiculously low cost to his 100cm range and then on top of that give him unified activation, are we really surprised on what happened in the game? I'm not. ;)

Of course not everyone wants to tinker and change what is necessary to make the mechanics compliment each other, which is fine. Time is a finite resource that is probably better spent playing the game rather than redesigning it. However holes like this one will pop up (continuously), so just put up with them and move on. Someday you'll be on the receiving end and some days you'll do the pounding. It all evens out eventually. ;D

In the end if you and your opponent are okay with things that is all that really matters. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Quote:
One of the main things that came out of the discussion about what makes Net Epic Net Epic is the stats, people are loyal to those and I really am no different in that respect. Therefore I am working on this system with that in mind.

..and this I know all too well. :(

It is also what hold the system "back".

Everyone that plays net epic knows what the issues are. They are older than even net epic.

But "why". we know the points system (to put it politely) crap. We know they added more units without proper testing nor integration with the rest of the system (fliers and Imperator anyone?).

So what are we being "loyal" to?

A company and designers (many of which are not even with them anymore) that doesn't even support the game anymore?

I think net epic players should strive for "a better game". There are many ways to do this without changing the core rules (ranges and cost).

Epic has been for a very long time a fan supported game. I really can't fathom why to continue to use things that have been consistently shown to NOT work.

While change for the sake to change is not optimal, but neither is "no change for the sake of no change".

With this I end my rant. ;) ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd just like to point out that the Chaos v Orks battle was traditional Net Epic Gold and not Evolution. Sure you can hide your Weirdboy Tower behind a Gargant or cover, but how then would it fire? If it can't, what's the point? At least with Evolution - provided Snap Fire doesn't take it out first - it is guaranteed to fire immediately before/after it moves during activation. Under Gold I had to move it and then watch helplessly as my opponent blew it up. I was on advance orders which meant I had to wait until the Advance phase to fire, by which time it was destroyed.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

Quote:
One of the main things that came out of the discussion about what makes Net Epic Net Epic is the stats, people are loyal to those and I really am no different in that respect. Therefore I am working on this system with that in mind.

Everyone that plays net epic knows what the issues are. They are older than even net epic.

But "why". we know the points system (to put it politely) crap. We know they added more units without proper testing nor integration with the rest of the system (fliers and Imperator anyone?).

A company and designers (many of which are not even with them anymore) that doesn't even support the game anymore?

I think net epic players should strive for "a better game". There are many ways to do this without changing the core rules (ranges and cost).

Epic has been for a very long time a fan supported game. I really can't fathom why to continue to use things that have been consistently shown to NOT work.

While change for the sake to change is not optimal, but neither is "no change for the sake of no change".

Primarch

I don't think people are being loyal to GW. It's a simple point of fact that people know and like the stats so they don't want them changed. I'd rather bring players with me if I can than change stats which would likely result in them saying "I'll stick with Net Epic, thanks".

So the question is "would you play a variation of Net Epic if it meant there would be different stats for armies?"

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I'd just like to point out that the Chaos v Orks battle was traditional Net Epic Gold and not Evolution. Sure you can hide your Weirdboy Tower behind a Gargant or cover, but how then would it fire? If it can't, what's the point? At least with Evolution - provided Snap Fire doesn't take it out first - it is guaranteed to fire immediately before/after it moves during activation. Under Gold I had to move it and then watch helplessly as my opponent blew it up. I was on advance orders which meant I had to wait until the Advance phase to fire, by which time it was destroyed.

Hi!

Ah, my mistake. :-[

For some reason I think you had convinced him to play Evolution. ;)

Then again I haven't played stock Gold in over 10 years. I just don't find it appealing anymore.

It's either Evolution, Platinum or whatever I come up with for games. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
primarch wrote:
Hi!

Quote:

Primarch

I don't think people are being loyal to GW. It's a simple point of fact that people know and like the stats so they don't want them changed. I'd rather bring players with me if I can than change stats which would likely result in them saying "I'll stick with Net Epic, thanks".

So the question is "would you play a variation of Net Epic if it meant there would be different stats for armies?"

Hi!

I'm probably the "worst" person to ask that question to. I've played a ridiculous amount of games and am intimately familiar with the games designs and shortcomings.

So my answer would be "yes", in fact it is ALWAYS yes, since I now found the stock rules broken and unpalatable.

But like I said, its easy for me to say that because I have no urge to "play". My games (by myself) are more exercises in game design, which what i enjoy now.

So basically I would rather "not play" then play a version of epic I do not enjoy. Right now, I don't enjoy ANY of the "stock" versions.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've asked the question on the Facebook group. It will be interesting to see the responses.

My one worry about changing too much about the rules is that it would cease to be Net Epic, in which case what's the point? Heresy or E:A would be systems you would look at instead. ;)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I've asked the question on the Facebook group. It will be interesting to see the responses.

My one worry about changing too much about the rules is that it would cease to be Net Epic, in which case what's the point? Heresy or E:A would be systems you would look at instead. ;)

Hi!

"net epic" is what the people want it to be. We could overhaul the whole thing if that is want was wanted and it would still be net epic.

I guess I've dealt with the "traditional" aspects of the game for far too long. Everything is "been there, done that". I crave for fresh perspectives.

Gold was a very important thing for me. Not because I ever planned to continue playing it, but that in offering a stable version I am now free to pursue other avenues of design that correct the all too obvious flaws in the stock system.

Heck, my current endeavor is somewhat of an aberration since it is still firmly based in the stock system. I'm just changing the things that need to be changed that won't work or play nice with the new framework.

I'm usually much more radical than that. ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been following conversations on FB which seem to suggest that if we introduced a -1 modifier for rolls on shots fired that went beyond half their range this would be helpful.

I do think it would aid in encouraging more tactical play based on manouvre which I think most would welcome instead of the predictable Charge then FF for the rest of the game. I actually built in the disadvantage to FF to prevent Players playing this way too readily...

But the suggestion of minuses to hit gave me an idea that could replace Fog of War, perhaps with an explanation that might sit easier:

Battle Intelligence: As both armies deploy there is much confusion on the battlefield; units are preoccupied by placing themselves where their commanders have instructed them. Moreover, scouts are still assessing the enemy's deployment and intel is thin on the ground because enemy units are still moving into position.

To represent this in gameplay terms, any unit which fires upon another which has not yet activated must do so with a -2 penalty. This penalty does not apply if firing upon units which have been activated as their movement/firing has made them obvious targets.

Thoughts? Better? Worse?

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, weapons having an 'effective/optimal' and 'maximum' range is something that has always appealed to me as it allows for a better simulation of different weapons types, ballistics etc (however when we are dealing with things like lasers, plasma and psychic sci-fi stuff the rules can be bent a bit!)

it allows you to represent things like rounds scattering from machine guns at extreme ranges, or balls of plasma dissipating as they travel further, yet still being able to pull off a 'lucky shot' beyond the ranges that the field manual suggests (as many real world snipers etc do i'm sure!)

Many of the modern games systems like Flames of War etc implement this, and i've always used it in any rule sets i've penned.

My only concern is again changing the core mechanics of 'Space Marine' beyond recognition, as there must be something in the simplicity/familiarity that has made me come back to it in all these years, however i can understand those that have been playing consistently for all these years will have hit the limitations/flaws pretty early on and are eager to 'fix' them.

As for the Fog Of War changes;

I'm quite happy with the way they work at the moment, although i'm sure they are probably more open to exploitation than i've experienced so far, but only more testing will confirm this for me.

Like wise i'd be open to try something like a -2 modifier on unactivated units in turn 1 - this would probably help to discourage players deploying units in open ground and waiting until late in the turn to activate while they are 'invulnerable'.

Not sure how you would modify barrages (which i'm assuming would be the most common type of attack at this range and with no LOS) would it simply be -2 or -4 BP? or perhaps an extra scatter roll like the Warp Hunter does? (to simulate indirect fire at an unconfirmed target/inaccurate intel)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Craig,

I'm not certain at this stage whether I'd want to impose the -1 for firing at more than half range but it's something I'd like to find out how people felt about. That particular aspect I may just see what happens on other threads and go with the flow. I feel slightly against it for Evolution as One of the main functions of the system is to speed play up and I think this would only slow it down.

I'm glad you haven't found the Fog of War rule to be a problem. Truth be told, I haven't either (to date) but can see why Primarch dislikes the idea of it. It's a game mechanic that while it seems to work ok has a weak explanation behind it. Really it's only there because Net Epic was never intended to be a proper activations game as we play it. Essentially what I've done with the alternative is try to achieve the same goal with putting a more credible fluff explanation behind having it.

-2 on rolls to hit is reasonably punishing and hopefully will largely dissuade players from engaging in a shooting match from their respective deployment zones. You're right that it may be beneficial in stopping players hiding their units behind Fog of War for tactical advantage so it could be a win-win by modifying it this way. It could be that a -3 to hit modifier may be even more appropriate, especially when you factor in that units on FF get a +1 on their to hit roll.

As for barrages, my intent would be that you'd calculate your roll to hit based on BPs and then modify that by -2. For example, 6BPs = 4+ to hit, modified by -2 would mean rolls of 6 would be needed to score a hit. This is the same as how FF modifiers currently work for barrages under Evolution.

The Warp Hunters is a nice example and I'm sure there may be a few similar units where I'd have to think about how these would be affected by the rules. On the face of it your extra scatter suggestion seems a good one!

Fog of War is definitely simplest, so if you are happy with that I'm more than satisfied to keep playing that way!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Yeah, 1 was my default position and it has just occurred to me that the likes of Chaos players might abuse it to draw enemy armies closer to them or reveal to cause a pincer attack.

That actually seems like a viable tactic spawned from the current system (and one in real life), not really an abuse. Unless it's the only tactic spawned from the current system.

Quote:
The Fog of War is necessary to stop players simply activating Titans with 100cm weapons and wiping out transports with troops before they have even moved.

See, that I understand completely. I can foresee (most} Titan weapon being primarily anti-titan and anti-WE, and secondary targets are harder to target and hit with them. Of course, if one brings a titan to wipe out enemy tanks and infantry, then he's going to suffer against opposing titans.

Quote:
There's no way around it. Equally though it hasn't caused in problems in games I've played, players have accepted that is how it works and there haven't been any problems as a result. The first few activations in particular tend to be a game of cat and mouse, get stuff on to the battlefield but try not to leave them exposed to enemy fire. Which Is how I remember it worked in traditional Net Epic anyway. ;)

Yeah, the good old days. :) Though I remember abusing Magnus the Red's eye beam thing at times (if I remember correctly).

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All good points Splash, thanks for the feedback.

I suppose I'm mostly thinking of players loading up their Titans with 4 Quake Cannon and using the burst templates to catch several Rhinos/Battlewagons etc. A naive player who did not spread their transports - or in a large battle did not have the space to spread transports - could,pay a very heavy price indeed. Or take 4 Volcano Cannon & blow the hell out of an enemy Eldar Titan...

I just don't like the idea that units which haven't even had a chance to move could be eliminated. Maybe I just need to not worry too much about it, like you said, that would likely have consequences for the Titan that fired first. ;)

Fog of War still seems to me to be the best solution though. :-\

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Fog of War still seems to me to be the best solution though. :-\

From what I have been reading, I think so too. Even if it isn't the perfect solution, it does help.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I've been following conversations on FB which seem to suggest that if we introduced a -1 modifier for rolls on shots fired that went beyond half their range this would be helpful.

I do think it would aid in encouraging more tactical play based on manouvre which I think most would welcome instead of the predictable Charge then FF for the rest of the game. I actually built in the disadvantage to FF to prevent Players playing this way too readily...

But the suggestion of minuses to hit gave me an idea that could replace Fog of War, perhaps with an explanation that might sit easier:

Battle Intelligence: As both armies deploy there is much confusion on the battlefield; units are preoccupied by placing themselves where their commanders have instructed them. Moreover, scouts are still assessing the enemy's deployment and intel is thin on the ground because enemy units are still moving into position.

To represent this in gameplay terms, any unit which fires upon another which has not yet activated must do so with a -2 penalty. This penalty does not apply if firing upon units which have been activated as their movement/firing has made them obvious targets.

Thoughts? Better? Worse?

Hi!

Your solution would work... ... if the die type were anything else but a d6.

A -2 penalty on a d6 basically means in practical terms (do not attempt this). Which means you go from one end of the spectrum (too easy to land first shot first kill), to the other (I'm for practical purposes un-hittable on turn one until I active).

Once more the shortcomings of the d6 are laid bare. Otherwise the solution would work.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next