Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Net Epic Evolution Basic Rules & Video Tutorial

Post subject: Re: Net Epic Evolution Basic Rules
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Hi Craig,

I'm not certain at this stage whether I'd want to impose the -1 for firing at more than half range but it's something I'd like to find out how people felt about. That particular aspect I may just see what happens on other threads and go with the flow. I feel slightly against it for Evolution as One of the main functions of the system is to speed play up and I think this would only slow it down.

I'm glad you haven't found the Fog of War rule to be a problem. Truth be told, I haven't either (to date) but can see why Primarch dislikes the idea of it. It's a game mechanic that while it seems to work ok has a weak explanation behind it. Really it's only there because Net Epic was never intended to be a proper activations game as we play it. Essentially what I've done with the alternative is try to achieve the same goal with putting a more credible fluff explanation behind having it.

-2 on rolls to hit is reasonably punishing and hopefully will largely dissuade players from engaging in a shooting match from their respective deployment zones. You're right that it may be beneficial in stopping players hiding their units behind Fog of War for tactical advantage so it could be a win-win by modifying it this way. It could be that a -3 to hit modifier may be even more appropriate, especially when you factor in that units on FF get a +1 on their to hit roll.

As for barrages, my intent would be that you'd calculate your roll to hit based on BPs and then modify that by -2. For example, 6BPs = 4+ to hit, modified by -2 would mean rolls of 6 would be needed to score a hit. This is the same as how FF modifiers currently work for barrages under Evolution.

The Warp Hunters is a nice example and I'm sure there may be a few similar units where I'd have to think about how these would be affected by the rules. On the face of it your extra scatter suggestion seems a good one!

Fog of War is definitely simplest, so if you are happy with that I'm more than satisfied to keep playing that way!

Hi!

If the route of redoing weapon ranges is not desired, I think the imposition of a -1 to hit at long range (any shot more than half the list range) is a must. A -1 penalty is not a trivial thing on a d6 and it will force players to move more frequently since the most common to hit number in the game is 5+, which would mean 6's if shooting at long range. Players WILL attempt maneuver if such a penalty is i place.

If nothing else is done this should be done. Its quick, easy and effective.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

splash wrote:
The Bissler wrote:
Yeah, 1 was my default position and it has just occurred to me that the likes of Chaos players might abuse it to draw enemy armies closer to them or reveal to cause a pincer attack.

That actually seems like a viable tactic spawned from the current system (and one in real life), not really an abuse. Unless it's the only tactic spawned from the current system.

Quote:
The Fog of War is necessary to stop players simply activating Titans with 100cm weapons and wiping out transports with troops before they have even moved.

See, that I understand completely. I can foresee (most} Titan weapon being primarily anti-titan and anti-WE, and secondary targets are harder to target and hit with them. Of course, if one brings a titan to wipe out enemy tanks and infantry, then he's going to suffer against opposing titans.

Quote:
There's no way around it. Equally though it hasn't caused in problems in games I've played, players have accepted that is how it works and there haven't been any problems as a result. The first few activations in particular tend to be a game of cat and mouse, get stuff on to the battlefield but try not to leave them exposed to enemy fire. Which Is how I remember it worked in traditional Net Epic anyway. ;)

Yeah, the good old days. :) Though I remember abusing Magnus the Red's eye beam thing at times (if I remember correctly).

Hi!

I think most "overpowered" units (like magnus) or "super weapons" are unbalanced because the pricing paradigm in place by GW when they designed the game is very, very poor. Remember GW, is VERY well known for making overpowered units to drive sales.

If Magnus were priced as the formula that was made states (over 1000 points), then I would have not problem with it, since you are heavily investing in something that is THAT GOOD. But when it is worth the same as all other demons or when weapons on titans really don't cost all that differently between them, you get issues.

If you really want to keep the game as stock as possible, I would think that only adding the -1 penalty for long range and re-pricing everything according the formula would be enough.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've done a full rewrite of the Net Epic Evolution rules based on extensive play-testing. Here is the updated version hot off the press!

Notes: The contents pages have not been fixed from those originally shown in Net Epic Gold. I'm heading away for a few days but will fix these on my return.

There is full errata at the end of the document for Marines, Eldar, IG, Orks, Chaos and Squats (some of the changes in Evolution have necessitated some modifications in how a minority of units play). Most of the changes are very minor but there are some more significant changes for psykers and the like. I had to be inventive! I haven't done anything about rules for Tyranids, Tau, Necrons etc because I don't have these armies. I'd welcome anyone in the community adding their own Evolution errata for these. Anyone doing so will be name-checked in the final draft!

Most of all, I'd welcome all criticisms! I've played enough of this now to know that it works pretty well but I'm sure there is always room for improvement! As I said, I'll be away for a few days but will respond upon my return at the end of the week.

Cheers!

Attachments:
Evolution.pdf [1.21 MiB]
Downloaded 263 times
Evolution.doc [2.27 MiB]
Downloaded 283 times

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's me back from my holidays!

Has anyone had a chance to look at the new rules? Any questions? Happy to answer any points or take on board criticisms. :)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? ;D

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 15.18 KiB | Viewed 3902 times ]

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I haven't yet. I'm sorry. I need to print it up and read it, but the printer is out at the moment. Again, my apologies.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No problem Splash! Don't waste your paper printing the contents pages, I need to get them sorted out. They were right for Gold but are nonsense for Evolution. ;)

Look forward to any observations you have! Cheers!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bissler,

Have you ever thought about allowing any unit, upon activation, to use ay order?
I have a set of rules, Disposable Heroes/Coffin for 7 Brothers (DHC7B) by Iron Ivan Games that does precisely this. It's a WWII game and is a blast to play. Very hard to guess what's going to happen as turn changes within.

Just a thought.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Playing mostly ea now, the one thing i miss from epic is the orders phase. I really like that part, giving out orders primarily based on what you think will happen, and not based on what has just happened. But at the same time, units should be allowed to react to what the enemy does.
My suggestion would be to put out orders as per normal. HQ units should also be given an order each, this order can be used (once) by a unit activating with command radius(?) of the HQ unit. Maybe the unit should take a morale test to use the new order instead of the old one, don't know. But anyhow the thing i missed most from epic was hq units actually doing any commanding.

Hope this makes any sense

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
No problem Splash! Don't waste your paper printing the contents pages, I need to get them sorted out. They were right for Gold but are nonsense for Evolution. ;)

Look forward to any observations you have! Cheers!

Thank you for that. But I can't sit at a computer for very long and read big documents. It's a medical thing. But I'll waste a little paper on it when I can, it's not a big deal.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting and I like some of the flow changes!

I found this clunky and it took me a few read overs to understand:

Quote:
You may not “pass” on activating a unit until all of your units have been activated, or you choose to leave the rest of your units where they are. In other words, you cannot pass and not move a detachment, then later choose to move after your opponent reveals his plans. However, once you pass you may still activate units to Snap Fire. Such units will have to be given First Fire orders when you activate to Snap Fire.

So as I read this, you cannot "pass" and choose not to activate a unit unless you have no units left to activate. If you give a unit any orders other than "First Fire", the unit must perform the order at the time of activation. However, a unit given "First Fire" orders can withhold immediate action and 'Snap Fire' within that same turn.

Is that correct?

Also, any thoughts on a tweak of the "Outnumber rule" (For either NE:P or NE:E)?

I have always thought a maximum based on unit type or a restriction of "Half of the long edge of the base" otherwise a single 20mm x 40mm infantry base could be overwhelmed 10-1 by 20 x 40mm bases on end and that just seems cheesy. I also think that "half the longest edge" could lead to cheese as well, so maybe limit based on unit type is ideal.

Off the cuff Examples (Probably wayyyyy oversimplified)

Infantry, max 4:1
Vehicles, max 6:1
SHT, max 8:1
Titan, max 10:1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
Interesting and I like some of the flow changes!

I found this clunky and it took me a few read overs to understand:

Quote:
You may not “pass” on activating a unit until all of your units have been activated, or you choose to leave the rest of your units where they are. In other words, you cannot pass and not move a detachment, then later choose to move after your opponent reveals his plans. However, once you pass you may still activate units to Snap Fire. Such units will have to be given First Fire orders when you activate to Snap Fire.

So as I read this, you cannot "pass" and choose not to activate a unit unless you have no units left to activate. If you give a unit any orders other than "First Fire", the unit must perform the order at the time of activation. However, a unit given "First Fire" orders can withhold immediate action and 'Snap Fire' within that same turn.

Is that correct?

Also, any thoughts on a tweak of the "Outnumber rule" (For either NE:P or NE:E)?

I have always thought a maximum based on unit type or a restriction of "Half of the long edge of the base" otherwise a single 20mm x 40mm infantry base could be overwhelmed 10-1 by 20 x 40mm bases on end and that just seems cheesy. I also think that "half the longest edge" could lead to cheese as well, so maybe limit based on unit type is ideal.

Off the cuff Examples (Probably wayyyyy oversimplified)

Infantry, max 4:1
Vehicles, max 6:1
SHT, max 8:1
Titan, max 10:1

Hi! First of all thank you for taking the time to read the rules and for your questions!

I can see why I've caused confusion there as the wording isn't clear enough. You've understood the situation perfectly though!

You can put units on FF orders but choose to withhold fire. This counts as an activation even though you are not firing at that particular moment. You can use this withheld fire at any point later in the turn if an enemy unit moves across you LOS and is in range for the attack. This Snap Fire interrupts the opponent's activation and you would resolve your attack. Note that the Snap Fire doesn't count as another activation; you used the activation for this unit earlier in the turn when you applied FF orders. Assuming the enemy unit survived your Snap Fire, your opponent would complete his activation. Play would then revert back to you if you still had activations remaining...

As for your second point, I should explain that I used the Net Epic Gold rules as a general template for Evolution. The rules for outnumbering have remained as they were in that rule book.

The point you make is one that makes sense to me. I recently played a game with my old style square bases against someone who used a force with some units on strip bases. I could have taken advantage of the situation when close assault was initiated. I explained that 4 attackers would have been the maximum that could attack if we had the same style of bases so that was what I did even though there was enough space for me to engage the enemy unit with 6 stands!

I wouldn't be against your suggested rule amendment!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
You can put units on FF orders but choose to withhold fire. This counts as an activation even though you are not firing at that particular moment. You can use this withheld fire at any point later in the turn if an enemy unit moves across you LOS and is in range for the attack. This Snap Fire interrupts the opponent's activation and you would resolve your attack. Note that the Snap Fire doesn't count as another activation; you used the activation for this unit earlier in the turn when you applied FF orders. Assuming the enemy unit survived your Snap Fire, your opponent would complete his activation. Play would then revert back to you if you still had activations remaining...

Use that text right there for that section!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ha, good idea! Cheers! ;D

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Bissler
Like Nuka implied above the game has a different tactical feel when you have an orders phase, being a moment of "big picture" contemplation, before all hell breaks loose again. And the sub commanders have to make the best of the (sometimes questionable) orders they have been given on the dynamic battlefield.

So, long story short, would you be willing to put an optional rule for an orders phase into your document? It would allow evolution to be played a couple of ways, both of which have their pros and cons IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next