Login |  Register |  FAQ

Alternate Titan Plasma Generation System

Post subject: Alternate Titan Plasma Generation System
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I have re-posted the summary from the older thread. Please continue to comment and make corrections/suggestions on this thread.

Titans with plasma reactors will roll to determine the amount of plasma available for that turn during the order phase.

Pick one of the following methods to generate plasma

Section I Plasma Generation

Method 1 (Riquende Method ;) )

Imperator: 1d6+6; minimum per turn is 7, average 9-10
Warlord: 1d6+3; minimum 4, average 5-6
Reaver: 1d6+2; minimum 3, average 4-5
Warhound: 1d6+1 minimum 2, average 3-4

Roll 2d6 and pick the highest roll (discard lowest).

Option. For those whom like a little risk, rolling certain combinations of doubles may result in trouble.

Double 1: Emergency reactor flush - Titan has just the 'bonus' plasma from the roll (so Warhound 1, Reaver 2, Warlord 3, Imperator 6).

Double 6: Critical Overload - Every time the Titan uses a plasma counter roll a d6, on a 5+ the counter is put back into the plasma 'pool' rather than expended. At the end of the turn if the Titan has any plasma counters remaining roll once on the Reactor damage table and apply the result.

Method 2 (Bissler's Revenge of d3 method! ;) )

Warhound 2d3+1 (3-7 spread)
Reaver 2d3+2 (4-8 spread)
Warlord 2d3+3 (5-9 spread)
Imperator 2d3+6 (8-12 spread)

Method 3 (Dwarf Supreme's "get off my lawn you yung 'uns method ;) )

No plasma generation is used. Instead an additional order called "repair" is added to the standard mix of order counters.

Repair: This order applies to units with a hit location template capable of repair (most titans). While repairing the titan is a sitting duck. It cannot move or fire. However it may 2d6 for each damaged system and shield and pick the highest to see if it repairs. In addition to the 2d6 each die gets a +1 bonus to the roll. Note if the plasma reactor is down this must be rolled first before other systems can be attempted.

I made this order MUCH better than the original AT rule to reflect the changes in the game since then. Mainly because losing one whole turn is a HUGE deal. So the order must be good enough to attempt it.

If you use this method all other rules remain as core.

Section II. Plasma Usage

Plasma is used for a variety of things during a turn. Note that is you use a plasma generation method, the titan no longer gets an order counter. When it moves and fire is determined by its plasma expenditure.

1. Plasma is used for movement. If no plasma is used for movement the titan remains stationary. If ONE plasma counter is used the titan may move up to its normal advance move going FORWARD. It may also move up to HALF its advance move going BACKWARDS (fighting retreat). If TWO plasma counters are expended the titan can move up to its charge move FORWARD (you cannot charge moving backwards). Note it takes TWO counters for the titan to engage in close combat.

2. Plasma is used to activate fire control. The targeting systems require plasma to fire. It take ONE plasma counter to fire in the advanced phase and TWO counter to fire in the first fire phase.

Note that these expenditures are in ADDITION to firing weapons. So at the bare minimum a titan requires THREE plasma to move, activate fire control and fire weapons.

3. Firing Weapons. All non plasma weapons may fire with the expenditure of ONE plasma counter. EACH one-shot missile requires a one time expenditure of ONE plasma counter. Plasma weapons require plasma for EACH shot depending on type:

Basic charge costs ONE plasma. To hit 4+, save modifier -4
Overcharge costs TWO plasma. To hit 3+, save modifier -6

Range depends on the weapon used.
Plasma bastgun 50cm CANNOT USE OVERCHARGE
Plasma cannon 75cm
Plasma destructor 100cm

4. Repair. Plasma determines how much energies goes to repair systems. ONE plasma counter gives basic repair functions for shield regeneration for that titan type (for example imperial titans would repair of 5+ for basic repair). TWO plasma counters for "code red" repair. This gives a +1 bonus to all repair and shield regeneration rolls.

Optional. Over shield. The titan may expend ALL available plasma (may move its advance move to take cover, may not fire) to render itself invulnerable for one turn as the last shield does not fall when hit. However in the end phase roll on the reactor table for damage.

Section III Hit location templates and weapon hard points

1. Hit location template changes. The hit location templates have been altered. The warlord will no longer have the reactor visible from the front arc, only the rear. It is replaced by "legs".

Warhounds and Reavers will have the rear weapons location replaced by carapace. Thus the carapace is now visible on these titans. Use warlord carapace damage tables for them.

3. Weapon Hard points. There are three options available.

a) Core. The restrictions to titan type and weapon points as described in Net Epic Gold core rules.

b) Anything goes. No restrictions. Go crazy and see whom can design the better cheese.... ;D

c)Traditional. This is the most restrictive, limiting options to what the original AT era titans were allowed.

Use the mighty Mattman Table!

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/download/file.php?id=6988&t=1

Section IV MISC.

Eldar and Slann are beyond the technological concerns of careful plasma monitoring. These titans do not follow plasma generation. They virtually behave as command units. Very dangerous.

Chaos titans follow the same rules for imperial titans, except the Lord of battles and Slaneesh special titans are demon engines so get orders normally. Ork gargants do not have plasma reactors and are of lower technology, they receive orders normally as well.

There were several recommendation and things to be added or completed. Please do so on this thread and we'll update the summary as necessary.

Primarch

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Alternate Titan Plasma Generation System
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Haven't read through the whole post yet, but it seems to me that Dwarf Supreme's option (Repair order) should be entirely separate from the Plasma System options, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Plasma System.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Haven't read through the whole post yet, but it seems to me that Dwarf Supreme's option (Repair order) should be entirely separate from the Plasma System options, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Plasma System.

Hi!

True, but it was posted on that thread and I didn't want it to get lost.

I think I will post a separate thread.

Primarch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to clarify about Eldar Titans: so they can move up to charge rate and then first fire, so I'm assuming that no orders are required?

If no orders are required, this would mean point 2 of the Warlock Titan rules is no longer relevant: "Orders are not placed for Warlock titans. They may be activated in any combat phase, but once activated must move within the restrictions of the orders given."

Also, can I confirm that Eldar Titan repair rolls will remain at 4+ ? I'm assuming this is the case as a 4+ repair roll is the best that the Imperial Titans can do and the Eldar have optimal plasma systems.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Just to clarify about Eldar Titans: so they can move up to charge rate and then first fire, so I'm assuming that no orders are required?

If no orders are required, this would mean point 2 of the Warlock Titan rules is no longer relevant: "Orders are not placed for Warlock titans. They may be activated in any combat phase, but once activated must move within the restrictions of the orders given."

Also, can I confirm that Eldar Titan repair rolls will remain at 4+ ? I'm assuming this is the case as a 4+ repair roll is the best that the Imperial Titans can do and the Eldar have optimal plasma systems.

Hi!

Yes. No orders are required.

You are correct about the warlock powers. What would be a good substitute power?

Yes, repair rolls at 4+. I assume some honors can make it better than that.

Primarch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Primarch, but I wouldn't create a substitute power at all. The Warlock is already benefiting from the streamlined reactor system so I don't think any replacement is required. I just wanted to point that out, think in the rules update it may be worth highlighting this to players to avoid confusion, ie "Due to this improvement, note that rule 2 for Warlock Titans no longer applies"...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Thanks Primarch, but I wouldn't create a substitute power at all. The Warlock is already benefiting from the streamlined reactor system so I don't think any replacement is required. I just wanted to point that out, think in the rules update it may be worth highlighting this to players to avoid confusion, ie "Due to this improvement, note that rule 2 for Warlock Titans no longer applies"...

Hi!

Sounds good. :)

Primarch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We did rule that legs will replace the reactors on the front of the Titans, but did we ever agree on the roll to save?

Is it fair to assume that they would have the same save as the reactor would have had, ie 1+? Some leg locations are 2+ but those are at the most vulnerable sections of the legs. I'm assuming that the Titan's bawsack would have some kind of armoured codpiece to offer extra protection...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
We did rule that legs will replace the reactors on the front of the Titans, but did we ever agree on the roll to save?

Is it fair to assume that they would have the same save as the reactor would have had, ie 1+? Some leg locations are 2+ but those are at the most vulnerable sections of the legs. I'm assuming that the Titan's bawsack would have some kind of armoured codpiece to offer extra protection...

Hi!

The save should be 1+ for the new leg location where the reactor should be. :)

Primarch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent!

Oh, and another question: if the reactor is damaged, are there any implications to plasma generation until damage is repaired?

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Excellent!

Oh, and another question: if the reactor is damaged, are there any implications to plasma generation until damage is repaired?

Hi!

Hmmm. Good question.

I would think a damaged plasma reactor yields HALF the amount of plasma you roll (round down), until its repaired. How about that?

Have you tested the alternate rules in a game yet?

Primarch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
The Bissler wrote:
Excellent!

Hi!

Hmmm. Good question.

I would think a damaged plasma reactor yields HALF the amount of plasma you roll (round down), until its repaired. How about that?

Primarch

Just been thinking about this... If the reactor is damaged (under normal rules), the Titan shouldn't be able to do anything other than roll for repair at the end of the turn. How about that the Titan goes into "standby mode"? Only 2 plasma counters are generated during a turn while the reactor is damaged and these must be applied to repair - ie your "code red" repair.

I'm trying out the alternative rules this weekend. I'll try & write up a battle report! Will be using both Titan alternative rules and my Dynamic NetEpic rules. 3k Marines v Eldar.

And while I'm on a roll... Head damage states that 4+ is required for to give the Titan orders. For our version of the damage tables this would now be roll 4+ to move or fire (one roll covers both each turn until damage repaired)? I'm assuming that the 4+ be rolled after allocation of plasma (which I'm also assuming should be allocated during the orders phase)?

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
primarch wrote:
The Bissler wrote:
Excellent!

Hi!

Hmmm. Good question.

Primarch

Just been thinking about this... If the reactor is damaged (under normal rules), the Titan shouldn't be able to do anything other than roll for repair at the end of the turn. How about that the Titan goes into "standby mode"? Only 2 plasma counters are generated during a turn while the reactor is damaged and these must be applied to repair - ie your "code red" repair.

I'm trying out the alternative rules this weekend. I'll try & write up a battle report! Will be using both Titan alternative rules and my Dynamic NetEpic rules. 3k Marines v Eldar.

And while I'm on a roll... Head damage states that 4+ is required for to give the Titan orders. For our version of the damage tables this would now be roll 4+ to move or fire (one roll covers both each turn until damage repaired)? I'm assuming that the 4+ be rolled after allocation of plasma (which I'm also assuming should be allocated during the orders phase)?

Hi!

Those interpretations are reasonable. When you try it out let me know, since we really need some playtest input to see where the flaws are. :)

Primarch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No problem at all Primarch, I'm happy to oblige! :)

Meantime, here's something I knocked together for Saturday. It's a Titan Data Sheet for use with the plasma rules. It isn't pretty and I haven't printed it off yet so I dunno how the sizings will come out. All I'm hoping for is that it's functional!

I'm looking forward to Saturday's playtest to see how this all goes!

EDIT: I was hoping to attach an Excel document but once again I was prevented from doing so (was told cannot attach xls documents). I've attached PDF copies but if someone can explain where I'm going wrong, that would be great. The whole point is that players can customise these garish looking sheets for their titans in each game!

I've just realised that I need to put a section aside for cost and VPs....

Attachments:
Warlord Titan Data Sheet 2.pdf [179.77 KiB]
Downloaded 377 times
Warlord Titan Data Sheet 1.pdf [263.83 KiB]
Downloaded 382 times

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
No problem at all Primarch, I'm happy to oblige! :)

Meantime, here's something I knocked together for Saturday. It's a Titan Data Sheet for use with the plasma rules. It isn't pretty and I haven't printed it off yet so I dunno how the sizings will come out. All I'm hoping for is that it's functional!

I'm looking forward to Saturday's playtest to see how this all goes!

EDIT: I was hoping to attach an Excel document but once again I was prevented from doing so (was told cannot attach xls documents). I've attached PDF copies but if someone can explain where I'm going wrong, that would be great. The whole point is that players can customise these garish looking sheets for their titans in each game!

I've just realised that I need to put a section aside for cost and VPs....

Hi!

These look nice. :)

Thanks for posting them.

Primarch