Login |  Register |  FAQ

Alternate Titan Plasma Generation System

Post subject: Re: Alternate Titan Plasma Generation System
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At the risk of hijacking this thread somewhat (this probably should be one for the Net Epic Evolution thread), I don't think allowing Gargants to charge and First Fire is that big a deal. The "charge" is a paltry 15cm (does not get double movement like enemy Titans) which I reckon is still incredibly cumbersome.

So far as the FF goes, in 'Evolution, the player can fire an advancing unit before one on First Fire (because they can choose which units to activate first). What I do think would be unfair would be for other Titans to (effectively) be on Charge & FF but Gargants cannot. I don't want to see Gargants missing out on the +1 FF bonus that other Titans have. Remember that a Gargant which fires early will be a great big target for enemy units! Watch those power fields go when everyone has a +1 to hit them!!! Even with the Charge/FF orders my Gargant failed to make much headway and still failed to get within 50cm as required for several of the main weapons.

The one compromise I may be willing to try would be that that Gargants are slightly limited compared to other forces, specifically;

Charge orders: The Titan may charge 15cm and fire as per Advance rules.
Advance orders: The Titan may advance 10cm and fire are per First Fire orders.

As much as I value your opinions, I'm going to go against you fine fellows and give Gargant Charge/FF on Saturday. I'm planning on fielding at least 2 so I'll be able to report how that all works out.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
At the risk of hijacking this thread somewhat (this probably should be one for the Net Epic Evolution thread), I don't think allowing Gargants to charge and First Fire is that big a deal. The "charge" is a paltry 15cm (does not get double movement like enemy Titans) which I reckon is still incredibly cumbersome.

So far as the FF goes, in 'Evolution, the player can fire an advancing unit before one on First Fire (because they can choose which units to activate first). What I do think would be unfair would be for other Titans to (effectively) be on Charge & FF but Gargants cannot. I don't want to see Gargants missing out on the +1 FF bonus that other Titans have. Remember that a Gargant which fires early will be a great big target for enemy units! Watch those power fields go when everyone has a +1 to hit them!!! Even with the Charge/FF orders my Gargant failed to make much headway and still failed to get within 50cm as required for several of the main weapons.

The one compromise I may be willing to try would be that that Gargants are slightly limited compared to other forces, specifically;

Charge orders: The Titan may charge 15cm and fire as per Advance rules.
Advance orders: The Titan may advance 10cm and fire are per First Fire orders.

As much as I value your opinions, I'm going to go against you fine fellows and give Gargant Charge/FF on Saturday. I'm planning on fielding at least 2 so I'll be able to report how that all works out.

Hi!

You know I wrote a whole long post on how I thought this may be a potential bad idea. Then I looked at the net epic gold stats for movement.

advance 10cm
charge up to 15cm.

I still have the table set up from my last battle which is 150cm across (75cm is the mid point). With a usual starting point 25cm from the table edge as a deployment zone, this means 35 to 40cm in on turn one, 45cm to 55cm in turn 2 and 55cm to 75cm in turn 3.

This means the gargant does not on average, even make it to the middle of the table in an average 3 turn game!!!

Pathetically weak and crippling. Thus I withdraw my objection. They already pay a stiff price with such slow movement and thus balance any benefit from charge/first fire. I can see eldar titans dancing around them.....

Thus...

Ork Gargant Rules

Like all titans, the ork gargant requires no orders and may move on the equivalent of charge orders and fire as if on first fire orders.

However, besides the gargants incredibly slow move, if its move exceeds 10cm it may NOT turn (move in straight line, no turns). If it moves less than 10cm it may make up to ONE 90 degree turn.

Only a stationary (no forward move) gargant can make two 90 degree turns (turn 180).

I think this better captures the gargants ponderous moves in NEE.

This would make them less maneuverable than Imperial titans and of course very slow versus eldar phantoms, as it should be.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Result! Thanks for taking the time to chew over this one Primarch. I think you have delivered an elegant solution to the problem. :)

I'll report back on my findings after the next playtest.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Result! Thanks for taking the time to chew over this one Primarch. I think you have delivered an elegant solution to the problem. :)

I'll report back on my findings after the next playtest.

Hi!

Looking forward to it!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another game played today and I'm starting to get very concerned about the power of titans and Eldar titans in particular. Charge and first fire is an unbelievably lethal combination. My Marines were absolutely annihilated by the combined force of a Warlock Titan and two Reavers. Even with two Warhounds, a squad of Vindicators, 2 squads of Land Raiders and Devastator detachment, I could do nothing to stop them. Hmm...

One other problem to highlight is that the checks and balances put in about forcing the Eldar titans to move is a bit of an irrelevance due to the fact the Eldar Titans are agile - it means they can run so far up the board and move back to where they started if desired and get the maximum 3+ save.

Due to my love of the original Adeptus Titanicus I had a lot of enthusiasm for this project but the more I play the new rules the more I think that they are imbalancing the game and rendering vehicles and infantry impotent. I'm so sorry to say this as I know how much work has been put into the project, but I don't know how to fix it. The only real solution I can see is for there to be a substantial rise in Titan costs. Hmm. :eh

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Another game played today and I'm starting to get very concerned about the power of titans and Eldar titans in particular. Charge and first fire is an unbelievably lethal combination. My Marines were absolutely annihilated by the combined force of a Warlock Titan and two Reavers. Even with two Warhounds, a squad of Vindicators, 2 squads of Land Raiders and Devastator detachment, I could do nothing to stop them. Hmm...

One other problem to highlight is that the checks and balances put in about forcing the Eldar titans to move is a bit of an irrelevance due to the fact the Eldar Titans are agile - it means they can run so far up the board and move back to where they started if desired and get the maximum 3+ save.

Due to my love of the original Adeptus Titanicus I had a lot of enthusiasm for this project but the more I play the new rules the more I think that they are imbalancing the game and rendering vehicles and infantry impotent. I'm so sorry to say this as I know how much work has been put into the project, but I don't know how to fix it. The only real solution I can see is for there to be a substantial rise in Titan costs. Hmm. :eh

Hi!

Didn't I tell you we needed to design a game from scratch at the beginning? ;)

Seriously, I'm looking for a partner to do that.... ;D

It seems we are back to the original problem from AT to how you make titans "king" and yet make the use of everything else "balanced" in relation to them.

In AT titan cost was very much higher than than any non-titan unit. To the point where they were basically two separate games. Which was the original point of AT.

Space Marine second edition solved the problem by gutting titan power. Some of us chaffed with that, but the simple truth is you are never going to marry the two units with the mechanics of space marine/net epic.

You either accept the net epic paradigm as is or you design another game. I've known this for a long time.

I'm just wondering if you have too... ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perhaps the Titans are generating to much Plasma each turn. Try a game (or two) where they only get half as much as normal and see how that feels.

Perhaps instead of costing one point to activate all non-Plasma weapons it should be one point per weapon. Possibly even one point per shot fired. There are lots of ways to tweak the system before deciding to throw it out entirely.

I apologize if any of the above is how it already works, as I haven't read through those rules recently. Still, find something to tweak, tweak it, and play a few games with it tweaked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Perhaps the Titans are generating to much Plasma each turn. Try a game (or two) where they only get half as much as normal and see how that feels.

Perhaps instead of costing one point to activate all non-Plasma weapons it should be one point per weapon. Possibly even one point per shot fired. There are lots of ways to tweak the system before deciding to throw it out entirely.

I apologize if any of the above is how it already works, as I haven't read through those rules recently. Still, find something to tweak, tweak it, and play a few games with it tweaked.

Hi!

Your probably right. Either plasma cost goes up or generation goes down. As it is its too reliable.

Of course, designing a game with scratch built points system as well as other systems is what I'd really like to do.

I think net epic, as any version of epic, is what it is. People like it that way.

When you want "more", its best to make one that suits whatever your looking for.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the Riquende's 1D6 system will help with the Imperial Titans. My 1D3 method was far too reliable.

But what to do about the Eldar Titans (exempt from Plasma rules, can charge & ff as standard)? I was thinking about something that penalised firing the further they moved but it would be too complictaed. A simple fix is what is required, but I can't think of an easy answer.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perhaps they should not be exempt from the Plasma rules, but rather they use the D3 system while the Imperial use the D6. Thus they would still be more efficient, but still variable.

Alternatively, as you were beginning to think of, they could take a penalty (probably just -1 or -2) to all ranged fire if they move further than their base Move value. Frankly, if this were to be applied, it should be applied to all Factions, as otherwise it would be penalizing Eldar for being more advanced.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment would be to increase the cost for the Eldar Titans when the Plasma rules are in play.

I am fascinated by the idea of figuring out a points system by model to apply to either this game or a newly developed one, but I'd best finish the Chaos Titan Mutation/Reward/Detriment system before starting anything of that depth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I think the Riquende's 1D6 system will help with the Imperial Titans. My 1D3 method was far too reliable.

But what to do about the Eldar Titans (exempt from Plasma rules, can charge & ff as standard)? I was thinking about something that penalised firing the further they moved but it would be too complictaed. A simple fix is what is required, but I can't think of an easy answer.

Hi!

Your slowly realizing what I did over a decade ago.

The basic mechanics of net epic can only bend so far and only accommodate so much.

You basically running in to its limits. It was never intended as a "combined activation" game. While certain aspects of it will bed enough to accommodate that mechanic, some won't.

While I like alternating activations, I find myself increasingly gravitating to either my old Heresy rules or just making a new system.

We're running into loads of "unintended consequences" with NEE. Now its the titans, but I already sense several other problems, when you add in other alternate systems as well as the interaction of some abilities which have not been duly stress tested.

I understand your original goal of not wanting to depart from stock Net epic too much, but the kind of game you would like (and the one I really want as well), will not be found hammering net epic with mechanics it was never intended to handle.

I may just bite the bullet and design another game. It's been a while, but I think I can manage. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

The basic mechanics of net epic can only bend so far and only accommodate so much.

You basically running in to its limits. It was never intended as a "combined activation" game. While certain aspects of it will bed enough to accommodate that mechanic, some won't.

While I like alternating activations, I find myself increasingly gravitating to either my old Heresy rules or just making a new system.

We're running into loads of "unintended consequences" with NEE. Now its the titans, but I already sense several other problems, when you add in other alternate systems as well as the interaction of some abilities which have not been duly stress tested.

I understand your original goal of not wanting to depart from stock Net epic too much, but the kind of game you would like (and the one I really want as well), will not be found hammering net epic with mechanics it was never intended to handle.

I may just bite the bullet and design another game. It's been a while, but I think I can manage. ;)

Primarch

With the upmost respect Primarch, I'd like to stress that I don't see the problem as being with NEE but with the alternative plasma rules.

To boil it down the problem quite simply is Titans having the ability to charge and first fire.

It makes the Titans far too manoeuvrable and powerful in the one go. The problem is magnified when you take Revenant and Warhound titans. Frankly they were good before (I often preferred taking Warhounds over the far more expensive Warlords), now it's insane how powerful they are. I know this may smack of me trying to keep the flag flying for my own project, but in all honesty, I'd expect this to be the case in standard NetEpic also.

I think I'm going to have to revert back to standard titan rules while I continue with my NEE playtesting.

I'll take up the other aspect of this discussion on the NEE thread...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
primarch wrote:
Hi!

Primarch

With the upmost respect Primarch, I'd like to stress that I don't see the problem as being with NEE but with the alternative plasma rules.

To boil it down the problem quite simply is Titans having the ability to charge and first fire.

It makes the Titans far too manoeuvrable and powerful in the one go. The problem is magnified when you take Revenant and Warhound titans. Frankly they were good before (I often preferred taking Warhounds over the far more expensive Warlords), now it's insane how powerful they are. I know this may smack of me trying to keep the flag flying for my own project, but in all honesty, I'd expect this to be the case in standard NetEpic also.

I think I'm going to have to revert back to standard titan rules while I continue with my NEE playtesting.

I'll take up the other aspect of this discussion on the NEE thread...

Hi!

I believe you have convinced me on this one. ;D

I fooled around this afternoon with some mock "mini-battles". It's how I test concepts and such. Pick a couple of problem units and create a narrow scenario and replay and re-roll the same thing a dozen times. It quick and informative. :)

My recommendation is drop the alternate plasma rules. Keep the damage tables.

I'm still mulling over the flyer rules. I really like Scream's aerial CC fix, its great! I'm more concerned regarding AA air cover and making sure its viable. I will continue to test.

We'll continue to test and proceed with NEE (I'll make a separate game as a pet project). I do enjoy the alternating turns and combined actions. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules