Login |  Register |  FAQ

Polyversal on Meeples & Miniatures podcast

Post subject: Re: Polyversal on Meeples & Miniatures podcast
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The weapons cover the sci-fi waterfront.
Laser, conventional gun, machine gun, autocannon, plasma, Particle Projection Cannon, pulse laser, rockets, guided missiles, howitzer/mortar, magnetic accelerator gun, flamer, chemical spray. I think that's all for now. Could add more exotic ones in expansions.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm planning on doing some painting later so will listen to the podcast, but im interested already!

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Ken, great to here from you here. Congratulations on the birth of your son !

I'm not a big podcast listener but I have to say, imho you did an admirable job of explaining the system and the concepts - the two British guys seemed a little rambley and at times distant (not sure if they had technical things they were dealing with in the background) but it sure made me excited about the whole thing. Looking forward to the bi-monthly updates.

The stress mechanics sound really great and a big improvement on E.Armageddons slightly simplistic suppression rules.

I'm sure the multi-dice thing sound complex, but looking at the very graphically sophisticated hex-card stats i'm willing to go with you and believe it will be one of those things that quickly becomes intuitive.

The onlline app for unit list creation should be a godsend. I'm very interested in how the list/unit creation is likely to work. I can see this being the make-or break for this game. Following a lot of the discussions on Taccoms its easy to see how balancing unit cost and abilities is one thing, but how that unit fits into the over all way the faction plays/functions is quite another.

With the whole command mechanics being so key to the game I'm also interested to see where all the factions will use the same command structure or whether there will be subtle tweaks for curtain factions (guerrillas, irregulars and hive-mind type factions being the most obvious.)

My only disappointment is that i'm not writing it myself ! :D

Hope to hear from you around here in the lead up to the kickstarter...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:45 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Blip wrote:
I'm not a big podcast listener but I have to say, imho you did an admirable job of explaining the system and the concepts - the two British guys seemed a little rambley and at times distant (not sure if they had technical things they were dealing with in the background) but it sure made me excited about the whole thing. Looking forward to the bi-monthly updates.

I am going to need to dig this one out and take a look. I used to listen to M&M a lot, but my wal to work changed and now I have less time for podcasts. Is it still Neil and Henry? If so, rambly and distant is pretty much their 'thing'. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I listened to the podcast, the game sounds great!! Looking forward to the KS ;D

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First time listeners to the M&M podcast shouldn't knock its style due to their own unfamiliarity with the people involved.

I've been waiting a long time for concrete news about Polyversal and finally thanks to Neil & Mike allowing Ken to talk as much as he liked, we finally have some ..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You're wrong to assume that because I was unfamiliar with the guys I am knocking them. It was their frustrating intro which seemed to go on forever; during which they seemed to find one another hilariously funny when in fact they were actually incredibly tedious. What was also annoying was the background noise going on in the background during their conversation with Ken. It sounded like someone was messing around messaging during the discussion, something I found to be unprofessional and completely discourteous to Ken who I did enjoy listening to. So long as you are interesting and entertaining, I don't care what the style of delivery is. They weren't.

That said, I am delighted that they have given Polyversal some publicity. I will give the upcoming Epic Podcast a listen, I will be interested to see what they have to say in that. I'm hoping to enjoy their work on that one more than I did this.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, i have to agree. Style isn't the issue here, an i don't mind the rambling (hell, i watch enough Beasts of War without complaint! :) ) In fact i found them quite entertaining (certainly more than Bissler. ;) ) particularly in the first half.

But i did find them very distant, unprepared with questions in the second half - which came across as a change from the first half and as slightly rude. I had taken the background noises to be technical issues which they were distracted by, but i did keep thinking they should have hung up, and called back wh en it was fixed. )

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate this is a hobby production and ill listen again. Looking forward to the epic discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, to be fair, I didn't hear any of the noise issues when we were recording. Having run my own podcast, I can tell you that sometimes the recording picks up feedback from headphones turned up too loud near the mic, and other minor background noises. I never felt as if the hosts were being rude, as you suggest. I also admit I rambled on longer than I realized, but didn't get the sense that they were unprepared. I think they were happy I was running on about the game. We discussed beforehand a general flow, and I ran with it, so that's likely why you didn't hear many questions in the second half. As for not being funny, or being too happy with themselves, I didn't feel that way, but I can tell you that it is a primary danger with podcasts, since you have no live audience, you can have a tendency to become insular, just entertaining yourselves while recording, and forget that there is a wide audience, many of whom may be tuning in for just this one episode and will have no idea about your in-jokes, etc. I've been listening to Neil since Episode 1, so I may be 'in the loop' on some of the self-satisfying humour. Regardless, I was honored to be on the show, and very happy to be discussing a game design I am very much excited to bring to market.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there any news on polyversal...?

From what I remembered there was supposed to be regular slots on the m&m podcast leading up to a launch or kick starter by the end of the year? Any thing to report ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On July 30th, on their Facebook page, they claimed they were close to filming the Kickstarter video. That was only a month ago...I'd guess by Christmas the KS should be complete? /hope