Login |  Register |  FAQ

Stompas & Knights question.

Post subject: Stompas & Knights question.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Forgive me if this is an old discussion.

Stompas are listed in the Superheavy section on the Ork list. Does that mean they roll on the Superheavy table?

If so then shouldn’t Knights roll on that table? Knights in classic epic seem very weak next to their counterparts in 40k lore once GW actually started paying attention to them (20 years later). I know Netepic actually sticks with the old lore for the most part but I really feel Knights just seem too easy to kill. When an infantry stand hits one it will shoot it down 1/3 of the time even from the front. So first off, am I playing it right that the front shield gives them a fixed save of 3+ and that replaces the armor save? Or do they get the 3+ save and then get an armor save too?

So my suggestion to toughen Knights up would be to give them the additional armor save (unless I’ve been playing it wrong) and roll on the Superheavy table when they get hit. Maybe they could be called mk2 Knights.
Probably too much of a change for you guys, but I’d like to try that out as a house rule for my games. Particularly when they’re fighting Stompas I want it to feel like a fair fight. I’ll have to figure out the points formula to upgrade their cost though correspondingly.

What do you guys think?

Stormpuppy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Stompas & Knights question.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stompa are SuperHeavy vehicles, and thus get to roll on that chart. So are Supa Stompa and Mega-Squiggoth. Orks are not nimble enough to be considered Knights.

Knights do have their Shield (if Imperial) or Holo Field (if Eldar), so they already have an additional protection to help them survive. The reason (as far as I recall) that they do not get the Superheavy table roll as well is that they do not have quite as heavy of armor as a Baneblade or a Stompa has. Also because they have their Shield / Field.

That said, there is nothing stopping you from using the Formula to make a Knight design that does use the Superheavy table. Or even just using the standard stats and adding that on. However, if you do use the existing model stats and add on the use of the Superheavy chart, you should increase the cost of the formation to compensate. Let me know exactly which models you would like adjusted, and I can poke at that.

Post subject: Re: Stompas & Knights question.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Magnus! So I interpreted this rule : “Shields grant a Fixed Armour Save against shots that strike a Knight on the front 90° arc.” wrong then. To be clear what it’s really saying is it grants an “additional” Fixed Armour Save against shots that strike a Knight on the front 90° arc. So I’ve been playing it wrong. Question answered. Thanks again!

Stormpuppy