Login |  Register |  FAQ

Trygon Rules Question.

Post subject: Trygon Rules Question.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I had a game the other night where I got to use my freshly painted old style Trygon for the first time. So it finally gets up to the spread out enemy, I put down my light blue Trygon Bio-Shock template and am faced with a dilemma. I can't find any movement testrictions even for superheavies (that it is) and so technically I could zigzag around and hit everyone in the area till it runs out of movement. It could even hit many of them twice! But given that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the rules, I allowed it to only turn a total of 90 degrees over the course of its move while it has the bioshock template out.

Does that sound right?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Trygon Rules Question.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here are some pics of it in action
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/ea516b5abf161fe1047ae26dff4adba8.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/ae85ad58014272dcd0911888570ee17b.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/79473bfff269fd17dd1800592db9023b.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/3ca2690e4330614b9b491371e669a5e6.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/67c58c49f939a3ee088a4bdb2d14d1e9.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/f629b3d60aea882c992bd8485dcf57b3.jpg[/img]

Stormpuppy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No Tyranid players out there?

Stormpuppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

By what I read from the gold book, there is no restriction on movement it seems.

I agree on how you resolved it, however it seems you could hit the same unit twice if you had enough movement.

If I recall its that good because trygons are not that fast. In fact I don't ever recall many instances in using it that way (most people just "shoot it".

So if you that close with it, I think it deserves to "reek havoc" upon everything it can reach.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay, thanks Primarch! I really appreciate your answer, especially given you've kinda retired from Netepic! The reason the Trygon didn't fire it yet was that it was advancing behind a wall of gribblies, that it didn't want to zap. In hindsight they probably should have parted for the Trygon to shoot and it could have had multiple turns of destruction and whittled down some of those shooters before they ended up wiping out most of my Stealers.
BTW I may have played something else wrong. I only put the template on after his last move before he charged. I figured the bio-shock effect could be turned off before that. But reading the rules I see it could be interpreted that the template should be on all the time. Is there a ruling on this that it can/cannot be turned off?

Thanks again Primarch!

Stormpuppy

Stormpuppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

Tyranid player here :=)

My interpretation is that the bio-shock template is there all the time. That means you can charge the Trygon 40cm and then touch many bases. I also agree that there are no movement restrictions, so it can become rather silly and lawnmower like :)

I have never thought of it, but i think that it is perfectly valid.

Best
Jens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't forget it has to follow its instinctive behavior rules unless you give orders.

Also with 40k rules the field is very weak compared to epic.

If its up it will give a 6+ fixed save and does no damage.

You have to shoot it to damage things
It only has a range of 12 with a 5 str when its shot
So maybe a -1 TSM at most

example for Net epic: 2 shots 5+ range 15cm TSM -1 ignores cover

If it is shot it comes back up next turn.

It can now tunnel in and deep strike with a supporting unit of infantry. (this is very cool)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As far as I can tell, the field is always on and the Trygon has no turning restrictions. That is how I use it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Storm Puppy wrote:
Okay, thanks Primarch! I really appreciate your answer, especially given you've kinda retired from Netepic! The reason the Trygon didn't fire it yet was that it was advancing behind a wall of gribblies, that it didn't want to zap. In hindsight they probably should have parted for the Trygon to shoot and it could have had multiple turns of destruction and whittled down some of those shooters before they ended up wiping out most of my Stealers.
BTW I may have played something else wrong. I only put the template on after his last move before he charged. I figured the bio-shock effect could be turned off before that. But reading the rules I see it could be interpreted that the template should be on all the time. Is there a ruling on this that it can/cannot be turned off?

Thanks again Primarch!

Stormpuppy

Stormpuppy

Hi!

As mentioned by others, it would be "on" all the time.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys! Yes I was playing it wrong by having the field turned off for the first 2 turns. I didn't even think of that when I set up. It seems like a really odd rule that the Trygon could just keep scrubbing back and forth, but I'll go with it and see what happens in my next games. I feel like I should house-rule some restriction though, because, theoretically you could move your Trygon so it's field touches the enemy by half a base, (it would need to half cover the target to score damage, like a barrage right?) then it could backup 1mm , then shunt forward 1mm and roll again giving it a massive number of bites at the apple. Or it could rotate on the spot an unlimited number of times because it costs no further movement hitting the target unlimited times. Maybe the rule should be that it should move back far enough that the template is no longer touching before moving forward again? Or can super-heavies not reverse?

SquatWarlord you're talking about what the modern 40k Trygon stats might look like in Epic? Of all the updated versions of classic epic models, I think the modern Trygon bears probably the least resemblance to its classic Epic namesake. By all means come up with some stats for the new one and I'd love to have stats that work for that if a miniature (fan made?) came out for it, but I'd treat it as an entirely different creature. Maybe the old Trygon could be renamed as a "Great Trygon" or something. Much like the original Carnifex became the Razorfex when the newer smaller (40k consistent) size Carnifexes came out.

Thanks again for your responses everyone!

Stormpuppy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SquatWarlord you're talking about what the modern 40k Trygon stats might look like in Epic? Of all the updated versions of classic epic models, I think the modern Trygon bears probably the least resemblance to its classic Epic namesake. By all means come up with some stats for the new one and I'd love to have stats that work for that if a miniature (fan made?) came out for it, but I'd treat it as an entirely different creature. Maybe the old Trygon could be renamed as a "Great Trygon" or something. Much like the original Carnifex became the Razorfex when the newer smaller (40k consistent) size Carnifexes came out.

Stormpuppy[/quote]

Yes I was converting rules to epic. I agree that the modern model does not look like the old one.
Why? look at the scale it is huge in epic how could they make that work for a 40k model it would cost far too much for a average popularity model.
There are 2 types now a Trygon Prime and a Trygon just a bit better statwise.
The epic one looks far more capable of digging a tunnel that could fit troops behind it that then new one also.

If the rules are changed I would be far more worried about a superheavy poping up behind my lines with several stands of bugs than running over stands with that field.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rather than making the old one suddenly dig tunnels I was just thinking that they could keep their respective characters and have different names and stats since they obviously look and behave so differently.

Stormpuppy