Login |  Register |  FAQ

Net Epic Special Announcement: Changing fo the Guard

Post subject: Net Epic Special Announcement: Changing fo the Guard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Net Epic Special Announcement: Changing of the guard

After 20 years of guiding net epic you learn quite a few things on how to manage and push forward such a project.

The one thing I look out for the most is what is in the best interest of net epic. Make sure it gets the love it deserves.

There is one thing I keep in the back of my mind though. Whether or not "I" am the best thing for net epic. I have come to the conclusion that, at least currently, that I am not the best person to guide the net epic project forth.

The simple truth is I have not even played a game of epic by the actual rules in over a decade. Nowadays I play a whole bunch of "weird stuff" I come up with, tinker with, change and discard all the time.

If you've followed net epic long enough, you know I am always the guy who advocates for change. If I had been permitted to, I'd have "blown up" the rules quite some time ago and made something not very recognizable as "net epic".

I realize it is an odd perspective to have for someone who has guided the project for 20 years. I confess that the mantra "it is not broke, don't fix it!" has chaffed me quite a few times over the two decades.

However I DO understand why this game is liked. WHY people like the base mechanics as they are and WHY most are not interested in anything more than some mild tuning, adding some units here and there and overall preserving the game the net epic fans like.

There IS a lot to like about net epic. The sweeping feeling of commanding an actual army, not just a group of units. All the "quirks" of the rules that make games memorable (some I remember still after all these years). These ease of army construction and setting up a game.

I know (perhaps more than most) what the fans love about it. It is proper, fair and beneficial for someone with the enthusiasm for the system as it is, warts and all to guide it forth.

I am not longer that person. My tastes and desires have diverged to much and too far for me to be the steward Net Epic deserves.

Instead of fighting the system and introducing change that is not wanted or needed, its best for someone to guide the current system and make it better, not to make it different for difference sake.

For these reasons I am stepping down from leading the project and handing it to more capable individuals that have net epic's interests and betterment at heart.

The individual I have selected for this is Robert Owen Becker. There are many good things I could say about him, but what mattered to me in passing the baton to him was his enthusiasm for the system. As he told me in a conversation that net epic might be "old" to me, but for him it was "new". Doesn't sound like much, but its a big deal. Enthusiasm is what leading this project is all about. He's convinced me he has that in excess.

Robert has the knowledge of the rules. I can't tell you how many times I have deferred to his interpretation. There is no contest in this regard. He knows more about the net epic rules that I do. As you can imagine its good for whomever guides net epic to have a strong grasp of them.

Additionally, Robert has solid "math skills". I have depended on others to do this for me for the last 20 years. It was high time the net epic leader had these skills himself, since it just makes unit construction easier.

For these and many other reasons, he IS the right man for the job. I thank him for accepting it and remind him he has my help and support whenever he requires it.

Robert, in time will set his agenda of what projects to tackle and decide what is the best format going forward (like this group (facebook) if Derek agrees of course!) or our old net epic mailing list which believe it or not still have around 500 members with a valid e-mail address.

I believe it will be an exciting time. It feels like the "old days" of the net epic group can come again with an enthusiastic new team guiding it.

As for me, I'll still be around, as always, to help in whatever net epic fans need. All materials including the original proofs for the net epic books and cards will be made available to Robert for use and modification and of course the Epicenter will still be there to upload what is made.

I'll always be there if you need me. :)

..and for the last time as net epic coordinator...

LONG LIVE NET EPIC!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Net Epic Special Announcement: Changing fo the Guard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Congratulations Peter on a job well done.
Now you can really concentrate on building the Primarch load !!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Peter and congrats Robert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[Just in case it is not clear, I am Robert. Posting here the same reply I made on FB, as primarch also just copy/pasted.]

Thanks for the congratulatory wishes all.

I have to admit to a certain amount of trepidation in taking this position, but Peter has convinced me that I should be able to do a good job of it.

As Peter said, I think that NetEpic is fairly good as it stands now. Perhaps not prefect, but what is? I very much believe in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" philosophy. Well, usually.

I am not, at this time, planning any major changes to rules or factions (Squats are one of my favorites as well). I do have a couple of ideas for possible changes to core rules, but I am not really ready to discuss those as yet. The only changes I have in mind at this time would be to edit the core rules for added clarity, and possibly make text-only versions of the various books available.

I am open to the idea of adding more stands/models where such would add to the game. Primarily, this should be to lists that are currently somewhat limited to make them more playable. Though others are welcome as well.

I am planning on continuing to revise the Points Formula. Eventually. Ultimately, I would love to replace the default points values with the Formula derived values, but it is not ready for that. And I'm sure there would be resistance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi I am new to this forum.
It is nice to see all of the activity.
I use Netepic for all of my games as well but it is really a good time for an update.

In the last 29 years Gamesworkshop and forgeworld have released and updated so many new models for 40k.
So many forgeworld books have new formations which would be great to add to Netepic.
The lore has changed so no more chaos androids(Necrons) imperials with beastmen. etc
I am a numbers guy, have 39 years of gaming experience and have worked on the Baccus Polemos Ruse de Guerre Rules with my game club In Toronto.

My main interest is epic to that end I scratch build and collect far far too many models (I can give Primus a serious run for his money with some armies.)
So I offer my help if you want/need.

My lastest project is updating all epic forces with Warhammer7th/8th edition rules. While still using the netepic core system. I am pretty much done with the forces and I would be happy to post any new formations from the forgeworld books.
Cheers David

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Platinum is/had been primarily aimed at adding/incorporating all newer models into NetEpic. Feel free to post any and all updated forces in that sub-forum. While the current NetEpic Gold lists will not be changing, I might add in a few things if warranted, but no major changes. Platinum is open to major changes in formation building.

Once posted, I can (or you can, if you feel up to it) put Points Formula costs to the new models and formations, as that is to be the standard for Platinum. Assuming that actually progresses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Primarch, thank you for all your efforts and leadership of the project over the years. You've done so much to keep Net Epic alive. I, for one, have appreciated all your efforts.

Magnus, welcome to your new role and congratulations on taking the helm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Irisado wrote:
Primarch, thank you for all your efforts and leadership of the project over the years. You've done so much to keep Net Epic alive. I, for one, have appreciated all your efforts.

Magnus, welcome to your new role and congratulations on taking the helm.

Hi!

Much appreciated sir! :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules