Login |  Register |  FAQ

Is NetEpic Gold... deadish?

Post subject: Is NetEpic Gold... deadish?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there,

was here to see if there are any recent updates, and here on the main forum there's not been a post for half a year?

Is the forum, or netepic itself, dead-ish?

Is there somewhere it is still active?

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Is NetEpic Gold... deadish?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

NetEpic Gold is not dead in my view. Gold is, as I understand it, meant to be static. Meaning that no major changes or development occur in gold.

I think there are two developments:

The points system is being worked on, but there does not seem to any real usage of it the community and thus it appears to at a stand still. I believe that Magnus is still maintaining it actively.
The french lads have updated and added new units to their french army lists, this is interesting, but as far as i know, not being put back in to english. Maybe Scream knows more.

There is the new version that primarch is heading the work on, I think thats currently on hold due to other priorities in life. This is understandable, but maybe primarch can say more.

Finally there is alot of generic epic chatter on facebook, which i also think sucks the life out of forums like this.

Personally Gold is what i play with large parts of the guys i play epic with, but I'm putting effort into moving to a different system that does more of what i like to do with my 6mm 40k miniatures. The imbalance of the points in gold and the issues of the far to large movement allowances for many units is turning gold off for me in the longer perspective.

Jens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

As far as being "alive" goes, net epic is about as good as it has always been given the downloads of the rules set and such type of traffic.

However times have changed. The need and participation on venues like mailing lists or forums like this has been way down for over a decade. In fact, I'd say the most "lively" medium for net epic discussion is probably the facebook group given the large amount of "old hands" are on it.

Net Epic players have never really been into online discussion mediums. There are many large groups that I hear from from time to time and few to none of them belong to any of the online groups. Its just the way of things nowadays.

The promise of net epic gold was for it to be "static". The "evergreen" version of net epic. While people may tweak it to suit their needs, outside a few people like me, most don't seem to want or need any "updates". Content to play those rules with collections as they are.

I have recently attempted to produce another version. A Platinum version. However I have come to wonder if it is necessary or even wanted. Gamers tend to be set in their ways at times.

Even the points formula which addresses imbalances in the old system at times receives a lukewarm reception since it seems quite a few like the ease of calculation and are willing to put up with its inherent issues (imbalance).

To make a long story short, if you want discussion the facebook group is probably "livelier" for that sort of thing.

Overall though, most groups are content with "how it is" and thus there isn't a huge clamor for the old style revisions and overhauls that generated tons of chatter.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Primarch hit the nail on the head for me. I've played Epic Space Marine since second edition and I like the stability offered by Net Epic Gold. I've been one of the most vocal here in wanting to keep it the same and never did see the need for the Platinum version, but it wasn't, and still isn't, for me to stop others developing a platinum version if that's what they prefer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Irisado wrote:
Primarch hit the nail on the head for me. I've played Epic Space Marine since second edition and I like the stability offered by Net Epic Gold. I've been one of the most vocal here in wanting to keep it the same and never did see the need for the Platinum version, but it wasn't, and still isn't, for me to stop others developing a platinum version if that's what they prefer.

Hi!

Given what I have received as feedback over the last couple of years, it seems the majority of net epic players agree with you Irisado. :)

That is one of the reasons I choose to step down. I think the projects needs someone that is invested in the rule set as it is, not in making into something it is not.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you have a link to the facebook group you mention? Cant seem to find it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There are two.

One is called:
Epic Armageddon, Adeptus Titanicus, Epic 40,000, Space Marine
https://www.facebook.com/groups/300383749973062/

The other is:
EPIC SPACE MARINE 40K
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SMEPIC40K/

Both are closed groups, but should be easy to get into.