Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

New Adeptus Titanicus announced. And its scale is 8mm

Post subject: New Adeptus Titanicus announced. And its scale is 8mm
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I bet the sculpts are going to be awesome,
but all those years of epic figures will be obsolete. 8mm figs are a whole 1/3 bigger and so will be incompatible. Sure some of the minis were undersized in the old 6mm, but if they are scaled correctly for 8mm they'll look stupid next to 6mm.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/05/ ... atest.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Adeptus Titanicus announced. And it's scale is 8mm
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It just means truescale 6mm titans.

Infantry will look poor, but they aren't in the first wave according to that article

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Given the scale creep and being in resin, its pretty much a non-starter for me.

I'm only interested in the rules at this point since they will use first edition AT as a base.

The scale basically screams to me it will be a titan only game. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll be interested in the rules, but again it's just another thing that will fracture the hobby.
They decided on the new scale by printing marines and tanks so it's not going to just be a Titan game.
I was looking forward to getting a bunch of the new units like the new space marine fliers and super-heavies etc. in 6mm and keep playing Netepic without having to replace any of my old units. I would have loved to get some of those new Tau Titans if they were in scale with my existing ones. And maybe get a few new knights and mix them in with all my old ones just because I love the new design. But it looks like that will never happen now.
Though maybe 8mm space marines will be better in scale with the 6mm imperial guard given Space marines have always been sculpted too small? But given GW is rebooting in a whole new scale, maybe they'll use this opportunity to make the marines even bigger to be in "true scale" with their 8mm regular humans, in which case they'd be too big. So it's frustrating that we won't know for maybe another year or so if all the old minis are obsolete or not.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great news for eBay shoppers. I can't wait till people start dumping their 6mm stuff for the new scale. I've picked up four full Warhammer Fantasy armies (classic 90's lead!) since AOS... I feel like GW is just making it Christmas all year round for me!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Commander Karth wrote:
Great news for eBay shoppers. I can't wait till people start dumping their 6mm stuff for the new scale. I've picked up four full Warhammer Fantasy armies (classic 90's lead!) since AOS... I feel like GW is just making it Christmas all year round for me!

Hi!

Agreed.

My collection grew exponentially after the epic40k massive dump.

It can so again. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For crying out loud!
As if GW hadn't screwed epic players over enough already! They go and do sexy new models in 8mm.
Well I'm glad you guys are happy at least, but I'm certainly not.

Post subject: Re: New Adeptus Titanicus announced. And its scale is 8mm
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Look at this from the GW perspective for a second.

They are in the business of selling figures and the collective groan here suggests that they have pitched the scale just about right; small enough to allow both Titans and other figures (which 40k does not readily permit), large enough to prevent easy assimilation of old GW figures and more importantly 6mm figures from other manufacturers, and just possibly the 'right' size to entice the current GW fans to buy complete new armies with sufficient detail, poseability etc to benefit from newer casting techniques and materials.

Seems to the uninformed (me) to be quite a canny move for 'army' scale battles leaving the 25mm scale for skirmishes, and if it comes off, just possibly a full blown replacement for 40k as well as Epic . . .

A big investment over time certainly, but one that could encourage a significant investment from fans other than the few diehard Epic people globally. Now if only we could exert a strong influence over the rules (by helping design and / or Beta test), I would suggest that it could just be a really good game.

Though I also accept this may be rather less likely than winning the lottery, twice, on successive weeks. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i disagree with the idea that 8mm is a small enough scale to allow 'army scale' battles. Based on all my E:A experience, I don't even think 6mm scale achieves that goal. All 8mm scale does is normalize the Titan models to the same scale as tanks in 40k. That certainly makes manufacturing sense, but it doesn't really make game play sense.

The new scale does make it obvious that they want to do more than just Titan vs Titan, because otherwise they'd have made the game closer to 2-3mm where Titans would be the size of a 40k infantry figure or battletech mech and entire neighborhoods of cities could be represented.

The fact that the scale decision was decided by the basic infantry size is good, I guess, in that it shows that they want to have some sort of epic-like game. It's just frustrating to us because, ya know, they already had one.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Viewed objectively, I am not sure I agree that they had an "army" level game, rather they had several attempts at this with varying degrees of success. As to scale, it is significantly better than 25+ mm. scale, while you don't get Titans at the skirmish level :)

So has anyone here helped out with he rules, trying to guide GW past the many previous pitfalls, or are we looking at yet another 'punt' into the unknown?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think we already covered much of this here > viewtopic.php?f=43&t=31259&p=591423#p591423 ;D ^-^ I know some are very excited about the 5th Coming of Epic ... But I think in only warrants one thread. As I know I don't want to repeat what I already said Twice ! ;) :whistle

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

GW talks a good game (remember all the promises and hype around EA?), but i will not believe this is nothing more than a titan game until I actually see something beyond that.

Making anything resembling a real "epic" line of miniatures is a staggering undertaking. I just don't see given their current market realities how they would undertake this.

Titans are one thing, but all the rest is a step I don't think they are capable of pulling off.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They would probably just start with the marines for heresy era battles, gauge success and work up from there, starting with common heresy era units (like they did in the past).
Calth was very popular (and apparently a fun rule set too though I never played it) so I expect titans hitting Titans will be popular too.
Unfortunately it will no doubt be priced at a point well out of my meagre hobby budget.

EDIT: Dammit wrong thread! Can someone lock this one please!!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agreed, please lock this thread

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]