Login |  Register |  FAQ

Unique formations

Post subject: Unique formations
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I read the rules it is allowed to have only 1 unique card for each 3000 points in the army?

So is it:
1 unique from 1-3000
2 unique from 3001-6000
3 unique from 6001-9000

or is it:
0 unique from 1-2999
1 unique from 3000-5999
2 unique from 6000-8999

The text is

Quote:
You may take one of a Unique Card (such as the Snakebite Ork Clan) for every full 3,000 points in your army, though personalities (such as Commissar Yarrik) may never be duplicated. Unique Cards usually count as Special Cards.

Not quite sure, but I expect that I can take a unique even though I only field 2000 points (e.g. avatar) so I am leaning towards option 1 above?

Ronnie

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Unique formations
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ronnie_Nielsen wrote:
As I read the rules it is allowed to have only 1 unique card for each 3000 points in the army?

So is it:
1 unique from 1-3000
2 unique from 3001-6000
3 unique from 6001-9000

or is it:
0 unique from 1-2999
1 unique from 3000-5999
2 unique from 6000-8999

The text is

Quote:
You may take one of a Unique Card (such as the Snakebite Ork Clan) for every full 3,000 points in your army, though personalities (such as Commissar Yarrik) may never be duplicated. Unique Cards usually count as Special Cards.

Not quite sure, but I expect that I can take a unique even though I only field 2000 points (e.g. avatar) so I am leaning towards option 1 above?

Ronnie

Hi!

Option 1.

At least that is how I have done it. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I always thought it was option#2

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for your answers Scream and Primarch.

At least it shows I am not the only one a little unsure how to read the rules for the unique formation. If unique disallows one to pick the unit in armies of less than 3000 it does not work as intented (IMO).

Unique is to ensure that there is no "spam" of the unit as I understand it. Not to prevent a player from taking a single unique formation. We often play 2000 points and with option 2 that means noone can field the unique formations. This means the avatar stays at home in armies under 3000 points, despite the rules text for him being:
Quote:
Any Craftworld force may include an Avatar. This is a Free Card and is in addition to the rest of the Eldar force, so it does not reduce the number of Special and Support Cards allowed.

After looking through the army books I can only find saim-hein, avatar, master mime and Renegade mekboy as the relevant unique formations in all the armies. So the question is, if I field less than 3000 points can I field a saim hein host, renegade mekboy, avatar or master mime?

Personally I believe you can, otherwise the rules for army building are not based on the principles of SM2 (which I do not believe has been deviated from on purpose).

P.S. I agree with Scream in disallowing a secondary unique formation at volcano with 3500 point armies as that is how they play normally. The above is purely to understand the rules.
P.P.S. I am unsure why anything besides the master mime and avatar is unique. Renegade mekboy and Saim-hein are good, but other armies have similiar good options, but that is a very biased and personal opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do note that Faction-specific rules override the general rules, thus you should be able to legally field an Avatar with any appropriate Craftworld army, regardless of total points cost of that army.

Note that while Unique, the Avatar is technically a "Free Card" and is thus limited to one per Army, like the Ork Gretchin Support, Ork Madboyz Support, or the Sisters' Mother Superior Special. I seem to recall that the Gretchin and Madboyz cards are actually limited to one per Clan, but I cannot find that rule in the book.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Free card rule is in NetEpic Gold Rulebook :)