Login |  Register |  FAQ

Rules for Recent Tau Units?

Post subject: Re: Rules for Recent Tau Units?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll plug in those alterations a bit later in the day and see how the cost changes.

I'd guess that the NetEpic Tau book was based on an earlier version of their W40K rules, and they have changed in W40K since then, but not here. That would be why they are just not quite the same.

I imagine that if you wanted to take the lead on Tau/Kroot for converting/updating them for Platinum, that that would be welcome.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would gladly take on that responsibility in my free time but would be making significant sweeping changes to some stats and force organizations that some players would not like. In 40k, Tau have always been a shooty army with worse ballistic skill than marines but use weapons that are longer range and higher strength. I may only have one NE game under my belt so far but I learned enough from that game to know that Tau just don't feel right and don't fit the 40k fluff or feel at all. If we were hitting on base 5s instead of 4s then markerlight detachments would be almost mandatory support choices whereas right now they seem like a waste (although hitting on 3s would be nice, I had no trouble hitting on 4s all game long).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, that is exactly what Platinum is intended to do. To bring all NetEpic armies to a point where they are as close as possible to current W40K as is possible in this medium.

Don't worry about changing stats, as someone who still wants to use the Gold stats can use them. Heck, they could even be used at the same time, as all Platinum will be using the Points Formula for costs, so long as the Gold player was using the formula costs for their formations.

Let me get this straight. You were hitting with every shot when you had a 50% chance to hit with each shot? [A 4+ is a 50% chance to hit.] So, because you were having incredible luck, therefore the stats are broken? That really is not logical. Don't change them because you were having a lucky streak. Changing them because of BS differences is logical, because of a lucky streak of die rolls is not. Yes, I know you didn't specifically say that you hit with every shot, but you said that you had no trouble hitting, which implies that you hit with well more then 50% of all attempted shots.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The stats aren't broken as you're paying the points for that 4+ to hit. What is broken is the fluff. Tau couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and rely on markerlights to hit anything. There are some units in their army that have a ballistic skill of 2 which is absolutely terrible. I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see marines changed to hitting on 4+. Since I may be helping with developing the new tau rules, I can tell you right now most things like fire warriors will be hitting on 5s not 4s to make use of markerlights and their points would be adjusted accordingly. This will make markerlight units like pathfinders and tetras far more useful to tau players (as they are in 40k where entire squads are bought simply to markerlight targets for the big guns).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right, adjusting the Discharge Cannon to 25cm and -3 vs most targets brings it's PF cost to 268.4, which is close enough to the previous value that a cost for Gold should probably still be ~200.

Further adjusting the To Hit on the Cannon to 4+ brings the cost to 257.1, which may be enough lower to drop the Gold cost to 175.

Something to keep in mind is that there is no reason to limit to using intervals of 25cm for weapon ranges. The Points Formula can deal with any interval, but for tabletop use in game it may be best to use intervals of 5cm. For example, if you felt that the Cannon would be better with a Range of 20cm, 30cm, or whatever, we can do that. Similarly, increasing a Fire Warrior to have a Range of 75cm seems a bit excessive to me (though I am unfamiliar with W40K Tau), so perhaps 60cm or 65cm might do?

I seem to recall that in one of his posts about Platinum, Mattman described some math he did for figuring out proper Range values for Marine weapons. That might work well for converting Tau weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I would agree 75cm is excessive. 60cm seems better. In 40k a bolter is 24" and a pulse rifle is 30".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:49 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

OmniJackal wrote:
Can someone make me rules to use this thing? It's an XV109 doohickey. Just started slapping paint all over its face.

This thing looks great what model is it?