Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Nuked. Please delete.

Post subject: Nuked. Please delete.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Broke rules. Nuked.

Last edited by OmniJackal on Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NetEpic Virgin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome back to the madness ... er, fun, that is Epic.

NetEpic Gold is based on 2nd edition and NET EA is based on 4th edition Epic. While the two use (mostly) the same models, they are really different games. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you when the fan-supported versions (IE, Net ... ) first began, as I have only found NetEpic about three years ago. Still, each could have only begun after official support for that edition ended. So in a way, NetEpic *should* have precedence over NetEA, but it really doesn't. Neither one is more 'official' than the other. Baseline is that you should use the ruleset that you prefer, and/or the one that is played by the people you are playing with.

Formation sizes in NetEpic are, where possible, based on the official sizes from 2nd edition. As those were set by GW at the time, they are (generally) preferred. Of course, the Army Lists that did not exist at the time (primarily Ministorum, Necron, and Tau/Kroot) were set with the existing ones as guidelines. I guess. Perhaps. I really don't know. Perhaps Primarch will recall.

Thus, yes, there is some variance in formation sizes that just doesn't make sense. However, as many of those were set by GW, well, that is the way it is. There has been some discussion of changing them, and Platinum will be addressing that.

Why are formation sizes different between NetEpic and NetEA? Because they are different games managed by different groups of fans.

Yes, Gold is lacking a lot of models that have come out for W40K in the last 10-15 years. That is a known issue. Platinum is going to add those, and you could always design them yourself if you want. Do have a look at the Points Formula for details.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ooooooh what's platinum. That sounds way more valuable than gold. Which game is more popular? I'm already in love with this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Platinum can be found over in the 'Alternative Rules' sub-forum, but it has only just begun to be formed. The only army list (that I know of) that has anything done toward Platinum is the Space Marines.

As to which edition is more popular, well, that varies. As I mentioned above, you should poll the people that you will be playing with to see which rules they prefer.

Personally, I prefer 2nd edition, which these days means NetEpic Gold.

If you want to use Gold, but want to make formations with different numbers of stands/models, look at the Points Formula. That allows for the creation of custom sized formations. Do note that the costs that the formula generates are not compatible with the costs listed in the Gold books, but I do update lists for those formations for each new version of the formula. I am currently updating said lists to V0.43 of the formula.

If it isn't obvious, I am the one creating the Points Formula, based on a framework made by Primarch. It is not entirely done as yet, but could use some rigorous play-testing and looking over by fresh eyes. This can also be found over in the Alternative Rules sub-forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As Magnus explained, NetEpic has its roots in second edition Space Marine which was derived from first edition Space Marine, which was preceded by Adeptus Titanicus in the late 1980s. Epic goes back a very long way as you can see :).

Space Marine (both versions) was very popular, and a lot of people did not like the radical shift from Titan Legions (the third edition of Space Marine) to Epic 40K. As a result, the Epic community split into two groups. One group opted to revise and update the old Space Marine rules (this is what is now known as Net Epic Gold), while the other played Epic 40K, its successor Epic Armageddon, and then took over rules development once GW pulled the plug on supporting Epic (this is what is now known as NetEA).

Having played both games, I feel that NetEpic is the better game if you like the diversity of the Space Marine era, while NetEA is better if you like a more 'realistic' approach to combat with concepts such as unit suppression. Both games have superior rules to GW's 40K and Fantasy (now Age of Sigmar) lines.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

even better is you basically get 4 games for the price of one collection! :) all the systems and their derivatives are pretty ace so enjoy yourself

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]