Login |  Register |  FAQ

Gargant Weapon Purchasing ideas

Post subject: Gargant Weapon Purchasing ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And for titans in general...

Sorry if you are getting bored of my thoughts, hopefully they are of use to some of you.

One thing I've been musing on is the way the army books present the information. I think its admirable that you guys created a unique army book for each and every race that GW produced (and more beside!) in full colour and with new art and miniatures.

However, they can be a little bit unweildy when playing. I'm using the cards as much as possible (as a Warmachine player I'm pretty well adjusted to using cards over everything), but when it comes to list creating, I wondered if there might be some thoughts about how the information is presented.

I'm sort of dreaming about putting together a stripped down version of the rules for Orks, if only for my own use as it would make things a little easier to read. This will most likely remain a pipe dream, but none the less I wante to present an alternative system for the gargant pages in particular.

I noticed there is a word doc and non shiny doc of the rule book on the Net Epic download page, so this is sort of building off that idea.

I guess the idea behind the pages in the books was to present the maximum amount of information in the smallest possible page count. This does lead to a little confusion at first, and you have to reference the rule book and the army book a little when constructing Gargants (and Titans where relevant).

Here is what I think might be a cleaner way of presenting the Titan Construction rules.
I'm using a Great Gargant here, but obviously each specific chassis would have its own set of rules.

As you can see, this in no way changes the rules, but it makes things a little clearer to a new player about how to go about building a Titan/Gargant. As ever, I'm coming at this as a newer Epic:Gold player, but it sort of ties in to my experiences over the last 22+ years of wargaming, and is about unifying information and presenting it in as clear and unambiguous a way as possible.

Quote:
Great Gargant Chassis: 400 Points

You must chose as many weapons as indicated for each of the four areas of the Great Gargant (Head/Turrets/Arms/Centreline)

Head (0-1 choices per Great Gargant)
- Battle Cannon Head: 65 Points
- Gork Head: 50 Points
- Mork Head: 50 Points

Turrets (2 choices per Great Gargant)
- Battle Cannon Turret: 25 Points
- Observation Turret: 50 Points
- Skorcher Turret: 15 Points
- Flak Cannon Turret: 35 Points **

Arms (2 choices per Great Gargant)
- Gatling Cannon: 75 Points *
- Magna Cannon: 50 Points **
- Magnum Mega Cannon: 85 Points
- Ripper Fist: 65 Points
- Supa Lifter Dropper: 75 Points

Centreline (1 choice per Great Gargant)
- Augmented Gutbuster: 150 Points
- Gutbuster: 100 Points
- Snapper: 25 Points

* No more than one per Great Gargant
** Optional weapon: Requires opponent permission to include

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Gargant Weapon Purchasing ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For the sake of completeness (I'm home alone and thinking waaay to much about Epic this week, I decided to do all three Gargants that are relevant (No choices with Mega G's)

Quote:
Slasha Gargant Chassis: 300 Points

You must chose as many weapons as indicated for each of the three areas of the Slasha Gargant (Head/Arms/Centreline)

Head (0-1 choices per Slasha Gargant)
- Gork Head: 50 Points
- Mork Head: 50 Points

Arms (2 choices per Great Gargant)
- Death Cannon: 85 Points
- Rippa Fist: 65 Points
- Slasha Attack Gun: 75 Points *
- Cluster Buster: 65 Points
- Magna Kannon: 50 Points **
- Flak Kannon: 35 Points **

Centreline (1 choice per Slasha Gargant)
- Gutbuster: 100 Points
- Snapper: 25 Points

* No more than one per Slasha Gargant
** Optional weapon: Requires opponent permission to include

Quote:
Mekboy Gargant Chassis: 450* Points

Mekboy Gargants come armed with a Deluxe Kustom Kannon as standard and one of the following options.

Arm (1 choice per Mekboy Gargant)
- Buzz Saw Arm: 0 Points
- Krusher Arm: 0 Points
- Super Lifta Dropper: 0 Points

* Mekboy Gargants cost 450 points regardless of weapon choices

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As you mentioned, it is all the same information, just arranged differently. While personally I'm fine with the existing charts, presenting it like that may be a bit clearer overall.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I'm thinking this format would be an excellent thing for me to steal... err..umm.. borrow for Platinum. ;)

I think its more intuitive that way since players tend to look at the "titan slots" and build accordingly. Listed this way makes good sense.

Great recommendation dancingmonkey!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

I'm thinking this format would be an excellent thing for me to steal... err..umm.. borrow for Platinum. ;)

I think its more intuitive that way since players tend to look at the "titan slots" and build accordingly. Listed this way makes good sense.

Great recommendation dancingmonkey!

Primarch

Its yours, I'm in no way saying I've invented the wheel or anything here.

I sort of feel like this may have been akin to the way Epic: 40K and Epic:Armageddon did it (just with far fewer options) so its sort of derivative anyway.

TBH, a lot of my thinking and ideas come from mashing different rulesets together and comparing how they work (or don't in some cases).

Having played everything GW over the years, Rackham Games, PP Games, Mechwarrior, Infinity, X Wing, innumerable board games and who only knows what else, I don't think there is too much originality as everything takes from everything else and tries to make it a little better and a little unique right?