Snap Fire Rule contradiction

Post subject: Snap Fire Rule contradiction
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I've located a contradiction in Snap Fire rules, both on page 19:

A) Left column, 3) Enemy response 2) Firing at a charging unit:

"Template weapons with no range, like Flamethrowers, may be used as well to fire at a charging unit."

B) Right column, Special Rule: Snap Fire:
"You may not Snap Fire with template weapons or any unit classified as artillery."

So according to A), my hellhound could do snap fire as its flamethrower uses a flame template with no range but according to B) it can not use it as it's a template weapon ?

I've always used B) but not sure what is the "right" answer unless term "ranged" is missing from B) that could be re-written as:
"You may not Snap Fire with ranged template weapons or any unit classified as artillery."

Last edited by scream on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Snap Fire Rule contradiction
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My guess would be, as your was, that the word "ranged" is missing from the later description.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Good pickup. I agree that some wording is missing.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for your replies :)

And now the extra question: when I snap fire with my hellhounds on some units that are engaging me in close combat, how many can I hit ? For weapons that do not use templates, that's quite easy to count the number of attack dice, but for a template weapon, that's a bit more confused.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

scream wrote:
Thanks for your replies :)

And now the extra question: when I snap fire with my hellhounds on some units that are engaging me in close combat, how many can I hit ? For weapons that do not use templates, that's quite easy to count the number of attack dice, but for a template weapon, that's a bit more confused.

Hi!

Given the shape of the template and the proximity of the opponent, probably no more than one (i.e. whatever the template can cover).

In other words, such units while capable of using their templates in CC, its not the best use for them since most of the template may not be effective given the short distance to the opponents units.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On the other hand, in-game all of the movement would be happening simultaneously, not model by model, so it would be reasonable to have the attacker move all of the models relatively simultaneously (say, 1 to 2 cm at a time) so that an exact decision of when to fire the template(s) can be made.

An easier way to do that would be to say that when the attacker declares that a formation is moving to enter Close Combat with a defender's formation that has zero-range templates, then the defender places the templates on the board at that time (IE, before the attacker actually moves any models in the assaulting formation) and then the attacker must move into close combat using any route available. Any model that moves through a specific template takes an attack from that template, but only one possible attack per template regardless of distance moved through said template. Of course, the attacker would be required to complete the Charge to the declared formation. No declaring on a formation, making them use their Snap Fire, then doing something else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
On the other hand, in-game all of the movement would be happening simultaneously, not model by model, so it would be reasonable to have the attacker move all of the models relatively simultaneously (say, 1 to 2 cm at a time) so that an exact decision of when to fire the template(s) can be made.

An easier way to do that would be to say that when the attacker declares that a formation is moving to enter Close Combat with a defender's formation that has zero-range templates, then the defender places the templates on the board at that time (IE, before the attacker actually moves any models in the assaulting formation) and then the attacker must move into close combat using any route available. Any model that moves through a specific template takes an attack from that template, but only one possible attack per template regardless of distance moved through said template. Of course, the attacker would be required to complete the Charge to the declared formation. No declaring on a formation, making them use their Snap Fire, then doing something else.

Hi!

This would work and make charging such units very bad, as it should be.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The easier way seems to be the best solution.

With the errata/changes, we'll probably see more hellhounds on the tables :) And surely way more assault scatolos (maybe the flame template for assault scatolo should be reduced to the small teardrop template).