Login |  Register |  FAQ

Feral Orks

Post subject: Feral Orks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I am planning on building a Feral Ork army and have a few questions and ideas for formations and troops not covered in the net epic rule books and card pdfs.

In the Forgeworld Apocalypse books they have a formation titled 'Squiggoth Battle Herd' does anyone know what the combination is for the herd as I thought this might make a welcome addition to the Feral & Snakebite Clan Company card list? Maybe a Gargantuan Squiggoth that acts as a command unit for the 6 Squiggoths also in the herd?

I recently ordered some of these models http://pendraken.co.uk/DN61-p6383/ for use as bomb squigs but when they arrived I realised they were far to big. So after some searching I found that Forgeworld released a colossal squig and thought they might be good proxy for them. Does anyone have any rules/ideas for how these might be used in a Feral Ork army?

Proxy wise I thought these models would make good Brutes http://www.microworldgames.com/products/orc-brutes to use as Bodyguards for Wyrd boyz.

Lastly I also think the Feral Orks would make interesting allies for a Genestealer Cult army where the player is allowed to spend unto 50% on allies. The Feral works are not strong enough to attack by them selves and the Cult doesn't have enough muscle to over throw the Imperial forces.

Let m know what you think :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Feral Orks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:45 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

marcus wrote:
I recently ordered some of these models http://pendraken.co.uk/DN61-p6383/ for use as bomb squigs but when they arrived I realised they were far to big. So after some searching I found that Forgeworld released a colossal squig and thought they might be good proxy for them.

Nice find, could you do a size comparison next to a GW 6mm epic figure, please?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There slightly taller then a nobbz minis back banner. If you removed the metal base it would sit roughly at the same height. I'll try and upload a picture.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 923.26 KiB | Viewed 4252 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just looking at the model, I'd say mostly use the stats for a Squiggoth, except for the guns, and perhaps make it a Walker type with a lighter Save (less actual armor but thick skin). So...

War Squig (Walker)

Move 10cm, Save 4+, CAF +5, Rampage.

A Support card of these with four models would be BP 2/4 and cost 65 points under the Points Formula.

If you don't like those stats or would like a formation (IE card) of a different size or composition, let me know and I'll crunch the numbers.

As to really big Squigs, NEG does have stats for a "Mega-Squiggoth" as a Super Heavy. Perhaps a modified version of that with lighter weaponry but carries around a Warlord could make a good Command model for your Battle Herd.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lastly I also think the Feral Orks would make interesting allies for a Genestealer Cult army where the player is allowed to spend unto 50% on allies. The Feral works are not strong enough to attack by them selves and the Cult doesn't have enough muscle to over throw the Imperial forces.

Let m know what you think :)

Based on when the GS Cult was introduced waaay back when, I still have the WD issue ... There is nothing then or since that says that is an option. However, as long as you and your gaming crew agree ... do what works for you ... yes ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:16 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

thanks for the picture, looks great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Just looking at the model, I'd say mostly use the stats for a Squiggoth, except for the guns, and perhaps make it a Walker type with a lighter Save (less actual armor but thick skin). So...

War Squig (Walker)

Move 10cm, Save 4+, CAF +5, Rampage.

A Support card of these with four models would be BP 2/4 and cost 65 points under the Points Formula.

If you don't like those stats or would like a formation (IE card) of a different size or composition, let me know and I'll crunch the numbers.

As to really big Squigs, NEG does have stats for a "Mega-Squiggoth" as a Super Heavy. Perhaps a modified version of that with lighter weaponry but carries around a Warlord could make a good Command model for your Battle Herd.

Thanks for this, I like that they are walkers and might be a good replacement for ork dreadnoughts, I also found this image online which might be a good conversion to consider?

I'll certainly look at field testing the units with those stats. Do you think there should be a herder to keep them in line or would they follow the nearest squig unit, bit like how Getchins copy the nearest Ork boyz unit?

Also what about if the Feral Orks had some kind of custom cards so Hunter stands (ork boyz) could have stikkbombs (+1 to CAF), or Trappas (or boyz Stand gains Scout ability) or Herdas (ork Boyz have attack squigs) Junka (Ork boyz are transported in Junkatrukks). These could be stackable and would fit with description and variants for ork boyz found here http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ork_Boyz

Attachments:
squigtank.jpg
squigtank.jpg [ 114.49 KiB | Viewed 4203 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting picture. That could work too. Adjusting the War Squig's stats slightly: more armor so 3+ save, weapons as per Onslaughter Dreadnought, and remove Rampage (as it is at least marginally controlled and not fully wild), cost would be 85 for a formation of four models, BP 2/4. [Note that formula based costs are ONLY valid when all players are using Points Formula values for their armies. They might work with normal Gold costs, but probably will not.]

As to herder or following the nearest, probably yes. Either could work well and be appropriately fluffy. Perhaps the best might be to have them have the same orders as the nearest Squig formation, but also make a Special Formation along the lines of the Runtherd that can control Squig formations within a certain radius.

I'm not familiar with a "Scout" ability in NetEpic Gold. Do you perhaps mean "Infiltrate" or "Stealth"?

There is a Trukk model and formation in Gold, so that can easily be done. For the Hunters, you could just use the stats and costs for Stormboyz. Instead of Jump packs, perhaps they just have really overdeveloped leg muscles...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I've managed to complete what I think a squiggoth herd would comprises of:-

4 nobz stands
1 gargantuan squiggoth
6 squiggoths

Cost 700 break point 6 victory points 7

I've based this on the original epic card costs and then reduced the gargantuan by 50.

I've also painted up the war squigs which I think should be comprised of 5 stands. I'm going to field test a few rule variations. I've included a photo with the 5 models and a nob stand for size comparison. To the right is my scratch built armoured war squig, kind of a replacement dreadnought so would be only 4 stands in a detachment. Let me know what you think.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 4124 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 4124 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Very cool!