Login |  Register |  FAQ

Microworld 2016 Retrospective and Looking Ahead

Post subject: Microworld 2016 Retrospective and Looking Ahead
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought I would do a general wrapping up post for the year. It has been a pretty interesting year, since sales were good overall, but not really in terms of new releases. It was mostly my older stuff carrying the day. I will say that the Renaissance infantry did come into its own towards the end.
The second half of the year was kind of plagued by delays and complications, including the work needed to start fulfilling the Polyversal Kickstarter pledges.

Tentative 1Q 2017 release schedule + April:
January – 15mm fantasy demons, 6mm Scifi New Terra preorder (supertank + friends March shipping at the latest)
February – 6mm Fantasy Bugbear army
March: Microwasteland release 2, 6mm Renaissance Italians (5 codes)
April: Tons of Renaissance Cavalry

It is difficult to plan things working with different moldmakers and casters, the vagaries of sales and fund availability, but that is where my head is at right now. The Renaissance Cavalry could switch spots with MWL release 2, but I’m not sure yet. See below for a specific rundown of the various lines and future plans:

Microwasteland (MWL):

I have a bunch of stuff sculpted for expansion, and have some concepts in the pipe for next year for some heavy war rigs. Overall, I guess it is kind of a niche and there isn't a ton out for it yet, so it hasn't really caught on. Because of limited resources, I haven't really prioritized pushing the new stuff out, but the dry spell will end in the new year. Packs slated for release are as follows:
Mutie Infantry set 2
Mutie Cavalry set 2
Mutie Hounds and handler
Big Muties
Wasteland War Tracks
Denizens of the wasteland 1 (3 cars with crew)
Denizens of the wasteland 2 (3 cars with crew)
I expect the mutie expansion might do okay as proxies. I plan on rounding out the range with some modular monster trucks and war rigs, a few more medium pursuit vehicles, and some “Law” vehicles and personnel. After that, expansion will be dictated by sales.

6mm Scifi:

Modular supertank and friends will be released as the army of New Terra (because it is shorter to type than modular supertank and friends). These guys have been a bear to release, and were poised to come out weeks ago, except for a previously unidentified casting defect on the side missile sponsons. Basically, one missile was broken off, and looked like it was fired already. I was tempted to just release everything as is, but after putting so much money and time into it, I would rather everything come out perfect.

The replacement missile sponson has been ordered from the printers, and I’m hoping I can get squeezed in priority by the moldmaker, since it is 1 measly little part. Expect to see the entire line up for preorder in January 2017.
In terms of other stuff, I am thinking about vehicles for the space rats, releasing a desert-themed space faction (infantry already sculpted), and I have all the concepts done for a scifi beastmen race I am calling the Dregs. I will preview the art in the coming days. No really solid release dates for any of this.

6mm Fantasy:

My main priority will be releasing the remaining standard fantasy archetype armies, as these are really what drives my sales. First up will obviously be all the remaining Renaissance stuff. Other things on the shortlist:
Ratkin (sculpting well underway)
Free Goblin Republic (large great goblins and truescale lesser non-hooded goblins, just waiting on the sculpting of the lesser goblins)
Elven Kingdoms (concept art finished)
Egyptian Undead (concept art finished)
Lots of Monsters (art partially done)
Undead expansion (art finished; Zombie Dragon, Revenant Giant, Death Knights foot and mounted, skeletal hounds, flesh golems, bone golems, new command pack, additional skeleton poses, armored skellies with xbow and halberd)
Wood Elf Expansion (Elk cavalry, Druidess Elk Cavalry, Lord on GREAT eagle)
In terms of standard archetypes, it really just leaves the Kingdom of Light army I have been planning for literally years. After that, I can start doing some really wacky stuff, but the priority is releasing the stuff above.
15mm Fantasy:
I know, I know, kind of against the 6mm roots. I own a bunch of 15mm fantasy myself though, and I have a desire for some centerpieces and esoteric stuff. What good is a miniature company if you can’t indulge yourself once in a while? First releases should be out in January 2017, some demon infantry packs and a couple of super awesome resin centerpieces.

Other random stuff (not an exhaustive list, but some of the more salient points):

3mm scifi…I have been bitten by the bug. I am looking to do some really alien advanced tanks and such, since it seems they are lacking a bit right now. No idea on a timeline for that, beyond some soonish digital sculpting.

Fantasy Naval - my concept artist has expressed interest, and Spartan Gasmes has said they are not bringing back Uncharted Seas. I also felt the ships for that game were a bit big for my taste. Not sure if it will go into production next year, but will definitely be getting the art doine for the first 4 factions and some preliminary sculpting.

6mm Historicals – I plan on doing the entirety of the Bronze Age. It is actually a ton cheaper to release stuff for than fantasy, because less monsters and cavalry and such. I figured I can expand later with mythological elements as well. Again, no idea on timing.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Microworld 2016 Retrospective and Looking Ahead
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And because everyone likes previews, here is a smattering of art. I will do some dedicated art preview posts over the coming weeks also.

Elf basic infantry by Christian Schwager:

Undead Revenant Giant by Christian Schwager:

Dreg Cavalry by Will Beck:

Dreg Tank by Will beck (I plan to have accessories and tank riders sculpted):

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dregs look very good.
Any preview for the desert themed space infantry ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice looking designs I particlarly like the beastman tank i'll be getting some of those for my own collection.

I would like to import more of your stuff but obviously your catalogue is a little big to hold everything so i'll be stocking those items I think will be usable with my other ranges for the most part so dregs, demons some creatures, continue to stock the wasteland range and maybe the new super tanks amongst others.

I'd be happy to receive suggestions on what to stock from customers and before you say the entire fantasy range i'll say this maybe one day but not now. One thing i'd be willing to do is take fantasy orders and when I have accumulated a certain number i'd add them to any re-stock orders i'm making. It would mean a possible big delay for the customer but you would get that order without import duty to pay so if you'd be interested in that please let me know.

Cheers John

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

The concept art for the elves is great certainly what I would be looking for. The Dregs look great too
;D

There is a company over in the UK that already do Bronze Age historical "Rapier Miniatures"

Adrian

For the Gamers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow sounds like a great set up for 6mm fantasy . hopeful in particular for ratmen this year as my eyesight getting worse the older I get and would love to get them under mybelt before it goes completely lol. The additions to the undead range sound great too and the concept art looks wonderful. Looking forward to spending lots of money with you I 2017. Hopefully Trump will really screw something up and the exchange rate with the UK will improve!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great undead indead, one of my favourite ranges!

Konig Armoured Regiment FanList: https://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd ... 41#p581941

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks very interesting. Looking forward to see more of the dreg, do they use any other races? minotaur and so on?
Do you plan on making a full army out of the line? Artillery, transports, titans and so on?

The undead platform giant is awesome, how many do you plan on selling together? 1, 3 or more?

The elves are really nice, but dont think ill end up playing 6mm fantasy, as i already play 10-12mm. Do you plan on making them in 3d? if so i think it should be fairly easy to give them scifi weapons and give us another choise for eldar.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As Lyle asked, what about these guys ? ;) Lawrence on the Left ... not Tommy on the right ! ;D

Attachments:
LoA.jpg
LoA.jpg [ 38.21 KiB | Viewed 6351 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the update, that all sounds great. I look forward to more of the renaissance line, as I'm using it for three armies (in whole or in part) at the moment in my 6mm WHFM project. The rest of the fantasy plan sounds great too, the Egyptian Undead and general Undead news probably got my heart pumping the most.

I got a small MWL order in as part of my last order but I was hitting my $ limit so I didn't go in whole hog yet, but I plan on filling that out soon with the infantry and more vehicles. The additions sound good too, I think in the long term it's probably the vehicles that will be the best draw for the line, since everyone wants to play Mad Max and not everyone wants to convert Hotwheels and Matchbox cars!

I'm also in for the supertanks, though they're going into the MWL project as some of the lost remnants of pre-disaster tech.

I'll just wrap up with my annual suggestion that the world really, really needs a fulsome 6mm Halfling range! Specifically Halfling archers, but it's just a small step (see what I did there?) to a full range. And it would fit in with the standard fantasy archetypes!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there, just a thought and from my point of view from my very biased point of view as I am at the moment only really interested in fantasy but it strikes me if you made a couple of poses for some of the apocalyptic setting figure codes without obvious automatic weapons you might be able to create some fantasy crossover Pak's for chaos or beastmen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The dregs use minotaurs and trolls as well. I plan on making them a full range, I hadn't really thought about titan-sized things though. I'm not sure they could keep it functioning. They will have everything else though.

The revenant giant will probably be 2 per pack.

The elves will indeed be 3D sculpted. I hadn't really thought about converting them to scifi, I suppose it could be done, but by the time I got to it I am sure there will be other alternatives out there. Plus I already own a bunch of Eloi infantry :P

I was holding up on the desert guys until I had there support weapons sculpted, but the artist has been super delayed due to other work, so I may just go ahead and release what I've got. Maybe by April.

@boywundyrx
I know, halflings would be a good addition. I promise they are on my list.

@godismycopilot
I actually think the muties could work for fantasy as is. Their weapons reach the blunderbuss tech level at best, so I don't think they would be too amiss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds great, Glad you are looking at doing goblins without hoods, will these be sculpted by hand or 3d ::)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They will be sculpted in 3D, mostly to control their actual size and chunkiness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds very cool, look forward to the previews ;) would be nice to have a good looking proxie for gretchin ;) ;)