Login |  Register |  FAQ

Test Lizarman Done...becomes an impromtu blog

Post subject: Test Lizarman Done...becomes an impromtu blog
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So the first test model that is serviceable is done. I need to get used to the scale a little more and probably use a stronger contrast for highlights but it is something I can work on in later models. Not really sure what size of bases I am going to use since I don't play anything at this scale but I always thought wedge formation looked nice but who knows how they will end up. Hopefully the picture isn't terrible.

Later days.

Tom

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.”

https://doomsdaydigest.wordpress.com

Last edited by doom_of_the_people on Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Test Lizarman Done
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks pretty good ...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good to me, I like the shield pattern!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, I am going to try and vary the pattern on each shield that way I can have a easily distinguishable favorite/hot dice unit.^__^

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.”

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OOhhhhh looks good, and lizardmen taboot. If you don't already have a game system in mind I just finished the lizardmen army list in Wartorn available on microworlds website. If you take a look or play a game let me know your thoughts.

Now you must paint faster because i want to see MOARRRR!!!
Blind-

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What i can see from here looks super!
Sure a close-up would reveal even more painting skills :)

+1 for the shield pattern and i think the red is also very well chosen.

In terms of basing, i'd recommend 40x20mm for infantry bases.
That would allow the use of a broad range of rule systems like the mentioned Wartorn, Mayhem or Warmaster to name a few. :)

You got a rough army list already so we get some insight what stuff you got in the pipeline? :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MrGonzo wrote:
What i can see from here looks super!
Sure a close-up would reveal even more painting skills :)

+1 for the shield pattern and i think the red is also very well chosen.

In terms of basing, i'd recommend 40x20mm for infantry bases.
That would allow the use of a broad range of rule systems like the mentioned Wartorn, Mayhem or Warmaster to name a few. :)

You got a rough army list already so we get some insight what stuff you got in the pipeline? :)

You can see a larger picture at: http://s553.photobucket.com/user/doom_of_the_people/media/IMG_8563_zps2806a08c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 if you want.

In the painting pipeline I have finished another 8 riders and finished the scale on the Lizerd-Ogres, from there I want to do half of the Triceratops and the Guard since they are primed. After that it will be a big block of either hand weapons or spears for the LM.

As for an army list, if I was going to go with Warmaster I have 6 Triceratops that I think would look nice based in groups of 3 for 2 units Stegdons. If I were to go with a 40mm x 40mm basing for a larger monster I think I would want at least 2 on each base.

The Pachycephalosaurus I am torn so I will probably go ahead and base them on one 40mm^2 base in a wedge formation and fill it out with smaller wedges, or lines of cavalry and just order a second pack to add more bases when I decide what system would get the most play time.

I have 2 Anklyo, which I think would look nice on round artillery bases but I might end up running them on the short edge of 40mm x 20mm and doing them individually, or on 40mm^2 in larger number, but that will have to wait until my next order from Microworld.

I have some Lizard-Ogres that are going on 40 x 20 bases in groups of 3, that need the bone and flesh done, as well as a couple in reserve for a shamans retinue.

I have the Ceratopsid Guard and LM with spears that are going to go on 40 x 20. I also have a baggie of LM with hand weapons, I am leaning toward doing a couple 40 x 40 bases of total chaos and filling it out with 40 x 20 bases in my next order.

Then the command and Brachiosaurus to round out the first go.

I know I want to add a second Brachiosaurus, more standard foot, more Triceratops and try to do something for fantasy with the Stegosaurus, T-Rex and Parasaurolophus from the sci-fi line. That is excluding the addition of Pterosaurs like Quetzalcoatlus(45' wing span in 6mm scale, yes please) or Pterodactyl. This would also have to finish up before the Ratmen or Wildland Alliance comes out.

So really I have no army list just a lot of miniature that don't quite fit any system with the way I see that working, oh well back to painting.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I ended up doing a 40mm^2 wedge for the first batch of cavalry. I like the sense of movement the off-centered front gives, sort of gives the feeling of a hole the enemy ranks was just spotted.

Image[

I need to touch up some of the basing and get a dry brush on the ground for variantion but not enough to take away the wet mud look and they should be done. A final pic of what I have to work on.

Larger pictures can be found here: http://s553.photobucket.com/user/doom_of_the_people/library/?view=recent&page=1

Later days,

Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those bushes look aweosme, this army is going to look top notch when completed!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Impressive! :)
Really like the basing and agree with the sense of movement.

Post subject: Re: Test Lizarman Done...becomes an impromtu blog
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Finished up a few more cavalry and started in on the skin for the Lizards-Ogres and put together a mock up for a character stand from my bits box.

The base is pretty impractical at 40mm but it is just tacked together right now, if I did it like this I would cut the seated LM out so he is sitting on the steps instead of the throne. I can lose the back of the throne and use putty and plasti-card to give it less of a cut off look and squeeze it onto a 25mm round. If I go that route I would just have the two LM on the steps and probably keep the throne. I think it might be cool just to keep it since I have some spare command and it give me an excuse to try and build an Allosaurus unit if I order more. Just wanted to see if anyone had a strong opinion or would mind seeing this across the table from them.

Later days,

Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lizard-Ogres are done, mud and flower bushes for the bases. Probably should have taken my time a bit more but decided to experiment with speed this time around.

Larger photos can be found here if you want to see the horror up close: http://s553.photobucket.com/user/doom_of_the_people/media/IMG_8576_zpsdcaca5f5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

A lot of the colors came out rougher than I would have liked but I really did want to see if I could "crank out" some stand and be happy, apparently not. They started out as all orange but I decided to go with a more neutral tone for the skin after finishing, I should have taken the to burnt umber and worked up to beige but instead I tried to use cork brown to mute the orange and just spot on highlight colors. The end result didn't really hold up but I did learn a few things.

Cavalry are probably going to be done in the next couple days and I plan to start in on the first command base and some big dinosaurs for a treat. I have the Ceratopsid primed up and on my desk for the bulk of the work, I need to come up with their color scheme since going in with out a plan last time was terrible.

Later days,

Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,
this stuff looks very good. The stand with the temple on it seems really interesting. I think it'll look great, but I don't fully understand what you mean by taking the back away. Isn't that a pretty good part of it?

Also, it seems that you're setting your light source in once place and then taking a few pictures at different angles. Perhaps move your light source with your camera so that all of your pictures turn out as well as that third one in your most recent post did.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't chop down the throne. It's perfect just the way it is.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

bertnernie wrote:
Hi,
this stuff looks very good. The stand with the temple on it seems really interesting. I think it'll look great, but I don't fully understand what you mean by taking the back away. Isn't that a pretty good part of it?

Also, it seems that you're setting your light source in once place and then taking a few pictures at different angles. Perhaps move your light source with your camera so that all of your pictures turn out as well as that third one in your most recent post did.

My concern for the throne was the base size, I like the full throne better as well. I ended up sticking with the full one and will make smaller command for the cases when someone objects, I just filled in the base to carve in some lines so it won't be all basing material around it.

As for the lighting source, not much can be done since they are ceiling potlights with diffusion gel clipped over them. I plan on getting some work lights eventually but I just got back into painting at anything resembling a steady pace so I will probably hold off for a couple months to make sure it would be worth it.

Thanks for the comments guys.