Login |  Register |  FAQ

Size of 6mm Monsters?

Post subject: Size of 6mm Monsters?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If I were to get things like unridden griffins, manticores, and chimeras made, how large would people want them? Is a manticore the size of a normal lion, or a bit bigger? Should the monsters be scaled to be about he size of a 15mm mini so that they are more imposing?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Size of 6mm Monsters?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can I suggest you get 28mm sizes and scale down to 6mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm thinking pretty close to 6mm ... not too big ... IMO ... :tut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:15 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think something that would fit a 10mm figure on it would be imposing in 6mm. It has the added benefit of WM conversion too.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Keep in mind that this is coming from a warmaster perspective. The monster should fit on a 20x40mm base, and be bigger than the standard line infantry or cavalry, but not so big as to be outrageous. For instance, the chaos dragon in WM causes terror, and gives you +3 attacks. Yet the SG model is huuuuuge, dwarfing the high elf dragon, and the giant (the latter by about 3 times it seems). To me, that's an example of how NOT to size a monster. So, unless it is meant to represent a truly world-beating unit, a monster (or group of monsters) should just be 1 1/2 - 3 times bigger than everything else, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think that having them the size of 15mm minis would be too big.

10mm would be better that simply downsizing things. I find most 28mm monsters to be too small, relative to the size of other 28mm models. I understand the need to scale them down, particularly the footprint, but that isn't always necessary in 6mm.

That said, sizing is always going to be a bit subjective. To my mind, some monsters should be huge, while others are simply large. Big monsters go with the big blocks of troops that I want; a dragon should dwarf a unit of troops. Others will disagree with that, though, and accept some abstraction for the sake of basing consistency, etc.

The other issue is the relative difference in size between the monsters themselves. A dragon should be larger than a manticore, and so on. Again, though, that is subjective and depends on your vision for the line.

Would it be helpful to have the measurements for some 10mm models (or 15mm models on foot), or comparison shots against 6mm? Mass and bulk are often more of an issue than height when it comes to mixing scales.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, as was mentioned above, the problem with going with 28mm sizes and scaling down is that the damned scale is all over the place. So nose to tail 15mm for a manticore is a bit too much you think?

I would love some sizes/dimensions of warmaster monsters, if anyone has them handy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did some quick height/width measurements:
Giant: 4.9cm x 2cm
Chaos dragon: 7cm x 8cm
Zombie dragon: 5.5 x 11
Griffin w/rider: 4.5 x 7.7
Giant eagle w/rider: 3.4 x 7.5

These were quick measurements, no calipers or anything :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll try to take some measurements for you soon, too. Would you like some comparison photos, too?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Man, those are a lot bigger than I thought they would be, but it seems that scaling down to 6mm, I am pretty close to that with most of my "giants" and dragon coming in around 25-30mm in height . For Manticores, I was thinking that a large lion is about 4 feet to the shoulder and 8 feet long, so maybe a Manticore would be 5mm to the shoulder and 10mm in length...but that would probably be a great deal smaller than the warmaster version.

Or I could just use the warmaster dimensions scaled down to 6mm, so a griffin would be 27mm in length and have a wingspan tip to tip of 45mm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Speaking of measurements, could you please tell me what the measurements are for the gargantuan miniature?

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tip of blade to end of the back foot is 55mm
From the left hand down on the ground to his back foot is 35mm
Face to his back foot is 45mm
Height to shoulder is about 26mm
Height to the top of the howdah is about 35mm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perfect! Thanks for this!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It would depend on the monster I'm afraid. The three you've mentioned I'd want maybe four times the size of a horse probably roughly the size of your Maul Beasts but more gracile and with a wing span.

Verum Irae II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would suggest for the chimerae to make it the same size as a dragon as it is just a variation with three heads. I haven't purchased a war dragon, which I believe is your only dragon(?) Whatever size that is, I would make it roughly similar, although in a more horizontal posture, and going of the pics of the war dragon maybe a bit 'chubbier'.

Griffins I am a little unsure of. If you wanted to do a ridden version eventually, I would tend to make it smaller, as a larger body risks looking silly if the rider is to small, because of control issues. By small(for the griffin) I mean 20 feet or so, which would be 20mm. If you are not planning on releasing, a possibility is upscaling to make it a large monstrous creature, 40mm. I always wondered why granny wests wyverns which are supposed to be stupid didn't just eat the rider and fly off.

The manticore personally I think depends on the variation you decide on. The greeks in mythology thought of them as 'three times larger than men with the heads of lions and the tails of scorpions' so again 20mm is fine, giving the impression of a very dangerous beast but not necessarily overly large. The Indian version is twice as large, with the face of a man, head and mouth of a tiger, wings of a bird/bat and with a ball of iron spikes at the end of its tail that could shoot. As a suggestion from someone who knows nothing of the casting/modelling process, maybe put it in as a very large creature, 40mm with the option of either tail. The similarities between faces, wings, etc. wouldn't really matter to much, though the tail can change the appearance and abilities quite a lot. Also by doing so it might be a 'cheating' way of increasing your range without doing a full re sculpt. By my understanding of your reply to another post that wasn't economically viable though.

I guess a lot comes down to are you thinking of releasing with an army, or just as a creatures range to be used by any army. If it's a creature range it would not matter to much what scales you develop them in, but as a part of an army then it depends on what slots you need to fill to get 'elite', 'giant' etc.