Login |  Register |  FAQ

Microworld Games

Post subject: Re: Microworld Games
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, we don't (yet?!) have that sort of tax/duty here (again yet!) ... :nooo :gah :whistle

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:16 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
(also, sorry L4, i just edited my comments into your post instead of quoting it by mistake, oops, fixed 0,o )

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hits "edit" instead of "quote" at times.

*apoc: yep, normally i catch myself, but that time i did actually press submit without noticing.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Free trade in the free world... :)

Postage in the UK is just getting daft now - despite the growth in internet shopping (which according to some reports is massively increasing postage volume) the government seems determined hike prices to unviable levels so private couriers can take over. Fine if you live in a nice metropolitan area, not so good if you live in the sticks...

Your country invents institutions the rest of the world copies or envies then run them into the ground - universal post, free schooling, the NHS, cricket... ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to kind of corroborate what netepic was saying, smaller companies carrying additional lines is not always feasible. From a US retailer standpoint, it doesn't really make too much sense to import stuff since there are no real punitive tariffs for online purchasers here. Combine that with the reasonable postal rates of some UK customers and the needs is really reduced.

There is also the profit issue. So, even though you are buying it at a wholesaler discount, you still have to foot the bill for the shipping of the product, which amounts to usually 25-30% of the order value (in my experience). So when all is said and done you are really only making a couple of bucks off of each pack sold. When you compare this to the cost to carry complete lines, it makes it nigh impossible to recoup the initial stock investment costs. This kind of segues into the next point - the extreme niche nature of the hobby.

If you were selling volume, it would be okay, but there is a 95% likelihood that you will sell few to none of any of the stuff you stock. Personally, I wouldn't want to saddle a fellow small miniature company owner with a big investment in stock that will likely still be sitting there in a couple of years.

I don't want to seem down on the whole thing, I would love if the situation were different. I definitely appreciate the horrid fees my UK customers suffer, which is why I try to keep prices and shipping as low as I can (they do make up about 50% of my business after all!).

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thedespot29 wrote:
Just to kind of corroborate what netepic was saying, smaller companies carrying additional lines is not always feasible. From a US retailer standpoint, it doesn't really make too much sense to import stuff since there are no real punitive tariffs for online purchasers here. Combine that with the reasonable postal rates of some UK customers and the needs is really reduced.

There is also the profit issue. So, even though you are buying it at a wholesaler discount, you still have to foot the bill for the shipping of the product, which amounts to usually 25-30% of the order value (in my experience). So when all is said and done you are really only making a couple of bucks off of each pack sold. When you compare this to the cost to carry complete lines, it makes it nigh impossible to recoup the initial stock investment costs. This kind of segues into the next point - the extreme niche nature of the hobby.

If you were selling volume, it would be okay, but there is a 95% likelihood that you will sell few to none of any of the stuff you stock. Personally, I wouldn't want to saddle a fellow small miniature company owner with a big investment in stock that will likely still be sitting there in a couple of years.

I don't want to seem down on the whole thing, I would love if the situation were different. I definitely appreciate the horrid fees my UK customers suffer, which is why I try to keep prices and shipping as low as I can (they do make up about 50% of my business after all!).

I dont see why you cant just move the business to the UK :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are those some new lizard riders on the microworld website ? How did i miss those !! Lovely minis.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those are very nice !!! I'll have to make another Exodite Warhost !!! Just got to get some extra $$$$ !!! Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hi

Sorry for thread resurection. But thinking of ordering some Microworld Games figures for Battletech. Wanted to avoid crippling import charges to UK. Does anyone know stock them in UK?

I googled it, and ironically directed me to Tac Comms!!

:)

James

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Or would Microworld be willing to declare the parcel filled with 'gifts'? :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:04 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I don't think anywhere in the UK stocks them. I've ordered a fair bit from them (though not recently, i've been busy with other things) and only been hit on import once. YMMV.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, some people get really lucky with the import duty not getting charged.

After thinking about it a lot, towards the end of the year I might repackage all infantry and such to be more in line with most scifi infantry pricing (about $8 for 40) and make a more concerted effort to get an overseas distributor. It is quite a lot of codes though, so it is a big investment for someone...