Login |  Register |  FAQ

Questions/Comments after first game

Post subject: Questions/Comments after first game
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So managed to play the first scenario with a buddy over the weekend. Was a bit of a challenge as our two boys ages 4 and 5 were playing together after a longish day and needed some dispute resolutions...

Anyway, had fun and was fun brewing each other up, which happened a lot. Game was straight forward and don't really have any questions about the rules mechanics for what was in the scenario.

Some more general comments questions:

1) When playing pickup games - say going with one Battalion each - what is the typical point value people have been aiming for? (I just ask this before I start spending $$$ on some minis)

2) Didn't realize till we started playing that "buildings" are just urban zones, which are essentially just another kind of template terrain. That's an interesting approach, one of which I think I like just do to being extremely straight forward. What do people do to represent that on the table. Do you use like a square area template and place a couple/few buildings on it? I'm thinking of picking up some buildings from Brigade soon so just wanted to check.

3) Seems to me that if you were designing your own armies to be "semi-competitive" there is no disadvantage to saying your army is just the highest tech level available - as it allows you access to more stuff and also lets you save space on lower tech systems. Seems to me that, despite a point system, higher tech levels have an slight advantage over lower tech levels just do to the wealth of options. Would be great if there was some incentive to go with a lower tech level. Anyone else consider this an issue?

-Tim

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Questions/Comments after first game
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tim -

Questions 1 and 3 are closely related, as higher TL equipment generally has a higher PV. If you're looking to play in a competitive environment, you and your opponents should set some ground rules on allowable TL (TL4 min to TL6 max, for example). With similar limitations in place, 5000 to 7500 points would allow one to field a battalion with support.

For our games, we place black felt squares/rectangles for the urban areas, then put buildings on top for better visual effect. Buildings are removed if they impede model placement, and sometimes we even remember to replace them when able. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the responses KaJo.

Just knowing my group, might be difficult to keep people within a certain range of TL. I can also see that if we said - use levels x to y, everyone would just go with the maximum TL.

It would make it interesting to give a minor handicap to the low TL to encourage people not just to use the maximum. Say for example if you have a lower TL you get a number of re-rolls per game equal to the difference in TL.

Anyway, just a thought. Will contemplate it after playing more - and more than likely will just agree on a TL for the next while.

-Tim

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear games has higher Priority Level (i.e. elite) forces have to achieve more objectives. It's always seemed a pretty elegant system to me, though the implementation isn't perfect.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread