Login |  Register |  FAQ

Just getting started

Post subject: Just getting started
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting back into 6mm after a long hiatus. Used to play Epic back in the early 90's, but have been stuck in 28mm for sci-fi (and many other genre's of gaming).

So I picked up Strike Legion and I'm very impressed. I've been mostly looking for DIY games for my 28mm stuff, but never found anything that was totally to my liking. Strike Legion has so many options - just love it. Can't wait to play.

We will probably just use some of the premade army lists to begin with. But what do people usually use for designing their own units - pencil and paper or make your own spreadsheet? I noticed one spreadsheet on the yahoo group that you can use for infantry units and then there is the executable stickyed in this forum, but seems like it still needs some work. Anyway, just curious, I'll probably just use spreadsheets to calculate and fill in the editable PDFs for cards.

-Tim

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Just getting started
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When you get the answers, let the rest of us know :)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lol,

I'm not opposed to working on a design spreadsheet - but I've got some other gaming-productivity type projects on the go right now. Gotta say there are a LOT of options in the Skunk works - especially when it comes to missiles/art munitions. Oh my.

-Tim

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not having created a spreadsheet for in-house use, I use pencil, paper, and a copy of Skunk Works on my desk/table/sofa. I do have the basics (Signature SP/HP limits and PV, movement and armor costs, basic weapons calcs, and basic infantry costs) memorized, so I can usually knock out a vehicle design (provided I have the mission profile and TL defined before starting) in 2-5 minutes. Finishing the (book) layout for a stat cards takes longer than the actual creation of the unit.

While I don't expect many others would take the time to memorize even this (relatively) small amount of information, you'll remember more than you think after completing a couple dozen designs (and definitely after having done 600 or so). ;D

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@KaJo

Well the way you've structured the points calcs, its certainly plausible just to do it pencil and paper. Despite having purchased the "bundle" I think I'll try to restrict myself to the main rulebook for the first little while - will make it easier to get familiar with both the game play rules and the construction rules.

-Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One thing I'll reiterate is, if you get any kind of spreadsheet that prints out a finished unit, please include the TL of the unit on the card. Its important during construction, and therefore should be pertinent to the final product.