Login |  Register |  FAQ

What do people do with the Hellbore?

Post subject: What do people do with the Hellbore?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi fellow Squat Warlords,

I've been reading a lot of battle reports lately, particularly dealing with the use of the Squats. Now I've seen a lot of people using Termites but I've never seen anyone use a Hellbore (or a mole for that matter), so what do people use them for?

Do people consider them too expensive for what you get in return or do they not like putting all of their eggs (Exo Armoured suits :P ) in one basket?

What are some good ways to use them?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: What do people do with the Hellbore?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I never use it. Too expensive. That said I'm not a huge fan of tunnlers full stop. They tend to win you the occasional game but mostly just get shredded and I prefer to have the activation on the board.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the original SM1 rules. Tunnelers could move 3 turns worth of distance. Before the game started. Makes them a little more "useful" for the price. And all were armed. Plus when the HB surfaced it would create a huge crater and raise all kind of Hell with the units in and around that crater. Again ... worth the cost ... ;D Plus you now have a bunch of Squats disembarking and kicking butt. Behind enemy lines ... ^-^

Can't remember what they did in SM2. But IIRC Tunnelers would move above ground. Just more rules that made me know that SM2 was the worst version of Epic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
In the original SM1 rules. Tunnelers could move 3 turns worth of distance. Before the game started. Makes them a little more "useful" for the price. And all were armed. Plus when the HB surfaced it would create a huge crater and raise all kind of Hell with the units in and around that crater. Again ... worth the cost ... ;D Plus you now have a bunch of Squats disembarking and kicking butt. Behind enemy lines ... ^-^

I quite like this idea for EA, he crater could be done in a similar way to the orbital bombardment. ( but putting a terrain piece down to represent could messy, but be really cool)

I know squats don't have a spaceship, but this could fill a similar role, and definitely be worth its current price of 125 points which when I have tried it out seems way too much for what it actually does ( especially when termites are free.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It would also be interesting if the tunnellers could "disengage" and reemerge in subsequent turns (within a short range)...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kapitan Montag wrote:
Legion 4 wrote:

I quite like this idea for EA, he crater could be done in a similar way to the orbital bombardment. ( but putting a terrain piece down to represent could messy, but be really cool)

I know squats don't have a spaceship, but this could fill a similar role, and definitely be worth its current price of 125 points which when I have tried it out seems way too much for what it actually does ( especially when termites are free.)

We have done that a few times with tunnelers ... It was pretty neat !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It could work like a orbital bombardment that would cause Disrupt hits instead of MW. And it should follow the rules for tunnelers as normal.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
It could work like a orbital bombardment that would cause Disrupt hits instead of MW. And it should follow the rules for tunnelers as normal.

I like this! Could be waaay too powerful but definitely worth getting out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That should work ... With the 3 Turn Start rule, you can have a pretty good system to use Tunnelers. Based on the rules you are using now, etc., ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah the 'Tunneler' rules as presented in the Epic handbook are a little sub par. I've noticed most other lists that used to use 'Tunneler' have now swapped it out for 'Teleport' or something similar (looking at you Tyranids).

Termites are useful simply because they bring their own Ruins cover. Giving infantry a -1 cover to hit and 4+ is pretty decent.

The Mole and the Hellbore...not so useful, but fixing them up would require a rewrite of the tunneler rules, which is one more special rule than needed. They're mostly in there for collectors to use their old models.

I guess the Hellbore *could* be used as a objective grabber. It's 4+ RA War Engine which is hard to shift in the last turn of the game.

in 1.6 I gave the Hellbore the option of taking an AA gun which at least gives it a shooting attack.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I only have models for the Termite and the mole. I have never been able to get a hold of the Hellbore, as they are snapped up by others with more money, or someone comes in and ups the bidding price at the last minute, and I lose the auction on E-Bay.

If I did have one, I would make a nasty "kill star" type formation of Berserkers, back up by warriors, robots, and another unit like mole mortars. I would rush out and engage the enemy removing them from the objective which I try to make sure is near area cover, and then sit there for the rest of the game using the Hellbore as a hard to kill off AA platform, and deny the enemy the objective, all the while shooting the mole mortars, so the formation does more than just sit there keeping the enemy at bay.

That would be a huge investment in points though, so It should be an objective worth taking.