Login |  Register |  FAQ

Let's Talk 5: Core Infantry Changes

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk 5: Core Infantry Changes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay guys, let's not all turn into Berserkers here.

While I would prefer Squats to have their own APC, we will stick with Rhinos for now. They're fine rule wise and are what Squats used in 2nd edition.

And Squats are nothing but not traditionalists!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk 5: Core Infantry Changes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

oh dear, I don't think I expressed my point very well. Nice to see a lively debate though :-D

I'm not against squats having rhinos. Indeed I found the spartan to be an unnecessary invention. What I don't like is the ubiquitousness of the rhino in the list. I see them as more akin to IG than SM.
Do squats embrace mobile warfare in the same manner as SM? Or do they hit hard where they have to and use the rhino for that?
I believe their doctrine is more stand and shoot with mobile arms. They already have troop movers for the bulk of the soldiers (Fluffwise, Landtrains and Leviathans would play a role, but in game as you say, you can termite them)
Rhinos help me get the troops that need it get to where they need to be in a hurry. This will usually be assault troops. Rhinos add nothing to standard troops imho (as an option to take them, sure, I'm not against them YMMV). For transport deeper afield tunnellers seem adequate.
IG do have mech companies full of basic troops, difference is the chimera actually adds decent firepower to the mix (and costs), but also have the option to have infantry without them (and without paying for them)

TL;DR
-Not against Rhinos
-For more list options with regard to rhinos

PS surfacing on turn 2 or 3 is very different to garrisoning a unit. Holding a part of the battlefield as an anchor from the start is vastly different to taking a position during the game

Imperial fists
Steel Legion
Black Legion

Profile Send private message