Squat special rule: Spotter

Post subject: Squat special rule: Spotter
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Currently reads as follows:

Quote:
Special Rule – x.0.4 Spotter
When within 30cm an enemy unit and when it has Line-of-Sight, the Spotter allows any unit with the Doomsday Cannon to fire without LOS. This allows the Doomsday Cannon to fire without LOS while moving, but other weapons would be restricted by standard shooting rules. Normal fire arcs for the Doomsday cannon still apply.

After discussion and playing, I've come to the conclusion that regardless of how easy the rule is, it doesn't do much. In fact, it has barely gotten involved in all the games I am aware of.

Eliminating it would be one option, but before I do I'd like to get some feedback on how we can improve it or remake it for the Squats. I am wide open on this topic, as long as the solution is concise and ultimately well received.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Squat special rule: Spotter
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:03 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

If you want to make it a more substantial feature, I'd say let it allow any IDF weapon to fire indirect on Advance as well as Sustain, not just the Doomsday (and if you really wanted to emphasize Squat "stand and deliver" you could have it apply to Marshall). It wouldn't make any difference for emplaced artillery like the Goliaths, but for formations that need to grind forward, like the Leviathan chassis and infantry field artillery, it would be useful.

Of course, that raises a question of flavor... the spotter units would probably be much more effective for something like Mole Mortars than for the Leviathan because the big WEs have so many direct fire weapons. It might end up being almost like Tau Markerlights, but for arty.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Don't limit the spotter ability to 30cm. Just make it a weapon ability, that way you can set the range to whatever you want. Give an Iron Eagle a designator weapon (say at 90cm), and the Colossus guided on its cannon and missiles. The Copter spots for the Colossus (either as part of its formation or in another, doesn't matter), which can fire indirect on the move.

Quote:
DESIGNATOR

A weapon with the designator ability “designates” all enemy units within range of the weapon and with a line of fire (see EA 1.9.2) to the unit with the weapon. Enemy units may not be designated by units carrying out a march action or by broken units.

GUIDED

Guided weapons receive a +1 to-hit modifier when shooting at designated units (see Designator), no other to-hit modifiers apply (see EA 1.9.5).

Guided weapons may also be shot at designated units as if they had indirect fire (see EA 2.2.6). Formations need not carry out a sustained fire action to shoot guided weapons in this manner, the formation need only be carrying out an action where it is shooting.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave, how would you handle allocation of hits on this? Front to back gets a little odd doing this, doesn't it?

Neal, when we were originally theoryhammering the list out, our first thought was to do exactly what you suggested, and we had the same concerns about it being more tied to the smaller arty formations than the SHTs. Then of course we run into the fact that the artillery for the Squats already outshine other types of weapons.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Allocate hits from the perspective of the designating unit.

(This totally imitates how Battletech did it. Which is fine, because Battletech was right).

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

How'd you handle it with spotter? It'd be the same.

Allowing hits to be allocated FtB from the position of the spotter might be open to abuse, especially given how slow the Colossus is. It probably be better (and more consistent) if it was FtB from the position of the firing unit. Test it and see what's best/easiet?

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think Mosc's point is that you do FtB from the firing unit, you'd have to allocate shots rather than hits, since the +1 to hit might apply to, for example, the back of the formation but not the front.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My concern is when you have fire coming from two separate directions. Iron Hawks with their own weaponry (and presumably Iron Eagles) will be firing from their own direction, making and allocating hits from their front to back. Then the designated weapon (ex. a Collossus missile barrage) firing from another location, all during the same Squat activation. The same thing with the Overlord. I predict discomfort.

Another thing is a 90cm 'virtual' weapon on the Iron Hawk adds to the already long range on the Iron Eagles (75cm). It doesn't seem very tactical at first review, unless I'm missing some component that might be difficult to pull off.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:17 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The guided weapons wouldn't be firing during the iron eagle activation, they would be firing during their own. All the designator is doing is granting the +1 to-hit and the ability to fire indirect to guided weapons, not for them to fire out of activation. Think of designators like support. You put them where they can lend support (or designate), but they don't get to lend support fire (designate) until the attacker engages (fires).

A 90cm designator is certainly more tactical then giving indirect fire to the colossus. The Squat player will still have to worry about LoS, and since skimmers pop-down at the end of their activation they'd have to be left in the open designating rather than hiding behind a building (if they're in a separate formation, in the same formation it wouldn't matter).

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

Last edited by Dave on Wed May 16, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"...the formation need only be carrying out an action where it is shooting." I don't understand what you are trying to do with this sentence. Help me out, please.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

That it can fire indirectly whenever it shoots, not just when it sustains. So it can fire indirect when it advances, doubles, and marshals or holds where it chooses to shoot.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe I'm missing some basic part of the rules, but how does one deal with half the target formation being in range of the spotter and half not?

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

how about the spotter being an actual weapon that does no damage but on a successful hit conveys a +1 bonus to hit the target formation on all guided weaponry, and allows guided weaponry to be fired indirectly as part of an advance or marshal action? that way you can have different types of spotters, different range, and it doesnt require the formation firing to be part of the same spotter (though it can be, and you'll be in situations where you've advanced, and you need the spotter to hit or the doomsday cannon wont be able to, which is pretty cool i think)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:10 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It would require some extra book keeping, ie markers to designate what was marked. That could get tedious, especially if there's lots of spotter weapons being fired and having to track which units were "hit". Alternatively you could just do it by formation: one hit from a spotter weapon "designates" the whole formation. Keeping the to-hit value of the spotter weapons crap (6+ or 7+) will keep it from becoming automatic.

There'd also need to be some rules on how long the bonus stays in affect. Until the spotter formation's next activation would probably be the easiest.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

that is why i suggested it convey the bonus to anyone shooting the target formation, not the target unit.

i'd say the effect would last until the end of the turn, no need to allow for a "i go first activation on turn 1, spot, go last activation turn 2, and the spotting stays in effect for 2 turns" loophole
i'd also suggest that perhaps the spotting bonus would go away if the spotter died?