Login |  Register |  FAQ

Squat Trade Consortium - Volunteer needed

Post subject: Squat Trade Consortium - Volunteer needed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The current Squat development has us working on a rewriting of the Thurgrimm Stronghold list to represent what one of the largest stronghold armies in the Squat Homeworlds would have looked like. This would be a snapshot of a Squat army prior to being devoured by Tyranids.

The goal, however, is to have at least two Squat armies: one before being devoured and one after. This other list would be the Trade Consortium list: nomadic Squats who depend heavily upon robots and drones and such. Unlike the Thurgrimm list which is intended to cpature the classic feel of the Squats, the Trade Consortium list should be 'outside the box', creative, and easily operate within the special rules that we're developing right now. One small set of special rules for all Squat lists is the goal. New units would be just fine.

Borka was working on this but his hobby time is at a premium now and -as such- he won't be able to head the project. :nooo

He'll be popping his head in from time to time to help, but I need somebody who can work with me on creating this and really run with the list development.

If anyone is interested, please PM me or post here. If you are good at kitbusting models, I could use your help as well.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Squat Trade Consortium - Volunteer needed
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bump.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh dear, I'm really not sure what this implies, but I could give it a go? Having played squats for the last two years, the last year with Morgan Venings list, I have a reasonable idea of how they perform.

A trade consortium list would be less on infantry, more on tech? Perhaps with the feel of an AdMech explorer list.

Perhaps the infantry is heavier on exo armour as the squats now are more protective on themselves? But smaller size warrior groups, but stronger and with more firepower. And robot infantry with Squat field operators?

Machines developed from the land train chassis, DC 2 or 3 class. The old tracked Knight would be a good base for this. Stick different weaponry on it, a bit like a ordinatus minoris.

And perhaps a decent flyer of some sort...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I prefer all the Squats dead post-incident. I think it's funnier.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thinking out loud.....

What would a post Tyranid-invasion Squat force look like? They would have lost their main defensive strongholds, certainly reduced numbers of warriors. Do you reckon that they would be more nomadic? Possibly living in smaller communities.

The only current GW info we have on the Demiurg is:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4 ... -SHIP.html

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4 ... UISER.html

If they still used Super Heavy vehicles it is possible that these are as much habitation as weapons of war. I am thinking of the Sandcrawlers on Tatooine in A New Hope. These were originally built by the likes of Czerka Corporation and used for mining before being abandoned. Wookiepedia then goes on to say how for the Jawas "Equipped with magnetic cranes, energy furnaces, workshops and lots of living and/or storage space, sandcrawlers were perfect as mobile headquarters, shops, and homes for the diminutive junk scavengers".

So maybe there is a shift away from those more offensive war engine platforms like Colossus, Cyclops and Land Train, with greater emphasis on the likes of Leviathan to be used in similar fashion to the Sandcrawler. Obviously the likes of Mole and Hellbore would also fit perfectly with the Demiurg mining operations.

Just trying to think of ways to make the Demiurg more distinctive from pre-invasion Squats and fit in with the limited new background that we have for Demiurg from GW.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good input. I was thinking more in the lines of The Harkonnen of the old Dune computer game than Star Wars. But mining/trade consortiums is the line of thinking and big machinery is the line of thinking...

And a splash of this:

https://www.google.dk/search?q=giger+du ... 80&bih=619

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
The only current GW info we have on the Demiurg is

I'd be wary of basing "modern squats" on the Demiurg.

Latest rumours have the Demiurg has being introduced to 40k for the first time when the new Tau Codex comes out and that they will be :

- Golem-like stone people
- Definitely aliens and not abhumans
- Possibly close combat biased

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

Latest rumours have the Demiurg has being introduced to 40k for the first time when the new Tau Codex comes out and that they will be :

Agreed. And I understand your post incident remark E&C since GW is not going to do Squats anymore.

But since the trade consortium list seems to be realized at some point, let's get some ideas on the plate.

- Less infantry, but more elite. Personally I'd like more exo armour, less IG type warrior infantry.
- Robot infantry, AT and CC variants (let's NOT go the Star Wars route) with squat field operators/characters
- Mining machines as battle tanks (minor land train engine types), both TK, MW, AT and CC types
- Moles and termites in their present state
- Mobile Fortresses, both gun types and personnel carriers, retain the present or new ones? I'd say if it works, why bother? New for new's sake is not always a good idea.
- Flyers? Better and more types of airships? Or is this a no go?

Not overly creative ideas but a rough sketch to start with...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:55 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

Well if that is true then we will have to drop the Bastion and Stronghold from the list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wargame_insomniac wrote:
Well if that is true then we will have to drop the Bastion and Stronghold from the list.

What list? Isn't the only working list Thurgrimm's 1.0? Or am I missing something?

And are the post incident Squats Demiurgs? Or are they Squats who survived the great feast and fled in huge space ships (with all the junk to setup shop a new place, moles, mining stuff, etc.). I see the latter, fewer in number but with more tech. Just my thoughts...

/Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
And are the post incident Squats Demiurgs?

Rumours say that the Demiurg have nothing to do with the Squats.

Squats are abhumans. Demiurg, if the rumours turn out to be true, are aliens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:35 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Oberst Lynild wrote:
wargame_insomniac wrote:

What list? Isn't the only working list Thurgrimm's 1.0? Or am I missing something?

And are the post incident Squats Demiurgs? Or are they Squats who survived the great feast and fled in huge space ships (with all the junk to setup shop a new place, moles, mining stuff, etc.). I see the latter, fewer in number but with more tech. Just my thoughts...

/Thomas

If you look in the Net EA army compendium there are 2 lists- Thurgrimm's and Trade Consortium list.

I had thought that the Demiurg were supposed to be the Squats post-invasion. It certainly appeared as they were GW's attempt to reinvent the Squats with a different emphasis.

From E&C's comments he seems to be suggesting that the post-invasion Squats and the Demiurg are different. Certainly they share common similarities being short squat humanoids with an obsession for mining etc.

If E&C is right then we will have to treat them as 2 separate races and remove all traces of Demiurg from the Trade Consortium list.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:
And are the post incident Squats Demiurgs?

Rumours say that the Demiurg have nothing to do with the Squats.

Squats are abhumans. Demiurg, if the rumours turn out to be true, are aliens.

It's the downside of GW just pretending that the Squats never existed and then retconning the Deimurg after they were initially introduced to BFG.

If Squats are not Demiurg then they would just be small groups of survivors. More of a raiding force than a full grown army. I guess the question then is whether it would be correct to represent them as an army in EA, as opposed to a more skirmish based game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
It's the downside of GW just pretending that the Squats never existed and then retconning the Deimurg after they were initially introduced to BFG.

It's worth noting that the Demiurg when introduced to BFG were never linked with humanity. Any links with the Squats have always been down to fan conjecture, which has been inevitably driven by the fact that both races are working with the same "space dwarf" archetype.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the safest option is to remove the "Demiurg" element of post-Tyranid Squat, just in case GW decided to introduce a new alien race into the 40K universe. It would save us from the trouble of excessive re-writing.

From what I have gathered, the Demiurg list was the thought of nomadic, space-travelling remnants of Squat civilization, doing trading, mercenary fighting, asteroid mining etc. A Squat take on the Eldar Craftworlds, really. As such, I do think it is a concept that can easily be explored and turned into a functional army list. A nomadic space-travelling life style is not self-sustaining and as such would see the need of military force to ensure supplies (fuel, water, food) and valuable ores. In the grimdark future, people fight for much less.

More mobile, including space craft and more robotic (less population), a little like Iyanden.

Why not?

/Fredmans