Login |  Register |  FAQ

Squat Basics - your collections

Post subject: Squat Basics - your collections
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When it comes to Squats, players are very protective of their army. Probably because they've been wiped out by Tyranids in the fluff and by Games-Workshop in reality. There are some proxies out there, but make no mistake - the official GW stuff ain't coming back. Pulling models off their stands and rebasing things will not be taken too kindly, so rather than have me go the way of the Homeworlds, I would like you Squat collectors to give me some feedback about your armies.

So, tell me about your infantry. How do you have yours based? Warriors? Hearthguard? Thunderers? Bezerkers? Bikes? Trikes? Characters?
How many of each type do you have?
Tell me about your tarantulas, rapiers, robots...
Don't forget your war engines!

Feel free to post pictures of your army if that makes it easier (or you just wanna show off).

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Squat Basics - your collections
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

This is what I have bought up so far:

• 20 stands of 5 Warriors (10 of which swap out one warrior for a Heavy Bolter or Missile Launcher, I haven't glued those on yet because I want to see what Warriors will get for weaponry)
  • 12 stands of 5 Thunderers (these will be either 5 Heavy Bolter Thunderers, or 4 HB and 1 Missile Launcher, again depending on how the Warrior stats go)
  • 12 stands of 5 Bezerkers
  • 4 stands of 4 Hearthguard and 1 Standard Bearer (to be used as Heartguard units like they were in SM2)
  • 3 stands of 4 Exo-armour and 1 Standard Bearer (to be used as 2 Warlord units and 1 Grand Warlord unit)
  • 10 stands of each of the four field arty options (Mole Mortar, Rapier, Tarantula, Thudd Gun) which each have 1 Warrior and 1 Crewman on them
  • 10 stands of 1 Robot
  • 16 stands of 2 Bikes each
  • 12 stands of 1 Trike each
  • 4 stands of 1 Guildmaster each

So, I based my buying around the SM2 formations (10 Warriors, 6 Thunderers, 6 Bezerkers, 8 Bikes, 6 Trikes, 5 Field Arty, 5 robots) and put together enough Warlords/Hearthguard/Guildmasters to add one to each formation I have (excepting the Field Arty and Robots).

For the WEs/AVs:

• 2 Goliaths
  • 2 Overlords
  • 12 Termites
  • 2 Moles
  • 24 Rhinos
  • 9 Iron Eagles
  • 1 Cyclops, Leviathan, Collossus and Land Train (with 4 cars, 1 of each type)

Only have 1 Thunderfire currently, hoping to score 3-5 more depending on how the formations are set.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Mine is all completely unbuilt...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm working on my Squat Infantry now ... including E/W Khazari. Based on SM1 TO&Es - I've got 6 Tactical units including 1 Khazari, 2 Assault units, 4 Support Hvy Wpns detachments including 1 Khazari, 2 Hearthguard units, 2 Exo-Armor units, 2 Living Ancestors plus 1 of each Thudd Gun, Rapier, Tarantula Plts, 2 Mortar Plts including 1 Khazari. Plus Trike, Bike and Armored Bike units under reorganization. Including some Khazari bikes & trike units. And a few Robot & Droid units ... 2 Land Trains, 3 types of Levaithan, 2 Bombards, 1 Goliath Super Hvy Seige Cannon, 2 Thunder-fire ADA guns, plus a bunch of Rhinos ... 1 Mole & 3 Termites ... 1 Iron Eagle Flight ... 1 Overlord Airship ...

Last edited by Legion 4 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's what I have:

54 Warrior stands - all 5 per stand, about half are 4 Warriors + 1 Missile Launcher, other half are 5 Warriors
30 Berserker stands
43 Thunderer stands - 5 Heavy Bolters per stand
8 Hearthguard stands - either 3 or 4 Hearthguard per stand
6 Warlord Stands
10 Robots - 1 per stand
1 Grand Warlord
1 Living Ancestor
5 Tarantulas
6 Rapiers
10 Thudd Guns
10 Mole Mortars
42 Bikers stands - 2 Bikes per stand
30 Trikes - 1 per stand
2 Moles
3 Termites
12 Rhinos
9 Iron Eagles
6 Overlords
4 Thunder Fires
9 Goliaths
1 Leviathan
4 Colossi
2 Cyclopes
3 Land Train engines + 12 Battle Cars

Last edited by Dwarf Supreme on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

This post has made me realise that i have lost my plastic squat minis somewhere ::) anyway, from memory i had approximately

1 colossus
1 cyclops
1 leviathan
2 land trains
3 goliath
3 gyros
loads of robots, 20+
bikes (2 per stand) trikes (1 per stand) minimum of 21 stands combined, but i forget exactly, built 3 formations
1 or 2 stands of hearthguard and exo armour
20 stands berserkers (5 per stand)
10 stands of each arty
10 stands warriors (5 per stand)
10 stands thunderers (5 per stand)

*edit, land trains, edit again, arty

Last edited by Apocolocyntosis on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

17 year old me thought I'd never play epic again! So he sold all my squats. Now that I've taken it up again I find it to be the most GW fun I've had in several years. Such a shame I sold them all :(

The only thing I still have access to from back then is the cyclops (which is a good thing because they cost a LOT on ebay). I've finished my Tau and have started acquiring squats on ebay, right now I have in addition to the cyclops the contents from

5 sprues.

Not a lot and but I'll start buying a lot more after the 25:th (swedish payment day), being a father of three wrecks your wallet in december ;D I'm really looking forward to the squats project! :)

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

1 box of infantry (standard SM2 build, except hearthguard added to banner bearers to make command stands)
6 Iron Hawks (would be nice to have option of 3 or 4 in a squadron)
3 Colossus, Leviathan, Overlord
2 Thunderfire (needing 3 for a formation would be annoying, they're hard to come by)
Some robots and moles pilfered from IG.
0 tunnellers

Ideally I would be able to get a 3000pt army out of these with a few options. Can always fill in with Khazari though.

Armyforge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:20 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

All unpainted and unassembled, but:
Loads of infantry and plastics...
1 Land Train, 4 cars
1 Colossus
1 Leviathan
2 Cyclops
4 Goliaths
10 Thunderfires
3 Overlords
10+ Gyrocopters

I think keeping the unit formations in quantities matching ratios people are likely to have given sprue and blister compositions, is good practice. In particular things like thunderfires should probably be flexible as they are hard to come by (I accidentally picked up loads but realise they are not common).

Also for your ref Moscovian, I might as well attach a list design I started playing with earlier last year - a first stab at amalgamating and simplifying ideas from all variant lists, including the French version which was favoured by our other local squat player. List design was based on picking the unit design that "felt best" from the various lists posted and then tweaking a bit, but did not have time to do as much with it as I wanted.

Anyway good luck with the design process, look forward to having some more time and seeing what you come up with.

Attachments:
6.10 Squats - Simplicio.docx [32.72 KiB]
Downloaded 384 times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The gear I have is all based off SM era Squats (I would have imagined most folks have thiers in some variant of this). I can't tell you how many stands etc I have though as they're sitting in a box somewhere. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

some of the collection based and some isnt - still in assembly phase as Squats will be my EPIC project this year in preparation for Onyx's local campaign...will be using the standard long bases for the infantry (some of it came that way when purchased)...bikes will most likely go on round bases....

The collection (from memory as I sit here at work):
Overlord x 2
Gyro x 9
Thunderfire x 2
Goliath Mega-Cannon x 2 (possibly 3)
Colossus x 1
Leviathan x 1
Land Train x 1 with 8 battle cars (2 of each type)
50+ bases of infantry (all types)
10 Thudd Guns
10 Mole Mortars
Bikers - approx 15 stands (2 per stand)
Trikes - approx 10 stands (1 per stand)
Hellbore x 1

EDIT: basing - infantry will be 5 figs per base...warriors = 5 warriors; thunderers = 2 heavy weapons + 3 warriors...on rectangular bases...only doing this as that is how half the infantry was based when purchased...circular bases for bikes/trikes (2 bikes per & 1 trike per base)...artillery pieces 1 per circular base with crew...

Last edited by Frosthammer on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:35 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Remember guys, Mosc is looking for how you base your infantry, not just a list of what you have. If there's a clear pattern of where people put the heavies on Warriors and Thunderers it'll help determine the stats for units.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:02 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thunderers: 4xHeavy Bolter + Missile Launcher.
Warriors: 5 to a base
Bezerkers: 5 to a base

Armyforge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
Remember guys, Mosc is looking for how you base your infantry, not just a list of what you have. If there's a clear pattern of where people put the heavies on Warriors and Thunderers it'll help determine the stats for units.

Ok. I'm going to base mine according to the description from the SM squat book (Warlords).

Warriors:
Their description read "...They are formed from standard combat squads armed with lasguns and side arms, with one squat in every five-man squad carrying a heavy weapon such as missile launcher or heavy bolter..."
So basically I'll do 1 heavy weapons guy and 4 regular with lasguns.

Thunderers:
Are described as being special in that way that the whole unit consisted of (only) heavy weapon guys ("...either a heavy bolter, missile launcher or a lascannon..."). So I'm looking at either the whole unit with just heavies, probably 4 (to save minis), or 2 lasgun guys and 3 with heavy weapons. The latter because thunderers actually used to have 3 attacks which was better than even devastators who only had 2 attacks. Which btw is something I think we should represent in their EA stats. I remember all my gaming buddies were really afraid of my thunderers and usually made them a priority target, but that's really for another thread :D

Berserkers
Well obviously berserkers. ;D

cheers