Login |  Register |  FAQ

Squats: Thurgrimm Strongholds 1.6.1 (Finally!)

Post subject: Re: Squats: Thurgrimm Strongholds 1.6.1 (Finally!)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I got in another game with 1.6 list on the weekend vs Paradox's Guard.
My list was:
Warrior +Thunderfire +Warlord/Grand warlord +Extra troops
Thunderers +Thunderfire
Berserkers +Robots
Bikes
Gyros
Gyros
Overlord +AA
Overlord +AA
Goliaths
Land Train +Mortar +3 Berserker cars +AA

Paradox took:
Regimental HQ
Mechanized Company (but he accidentally left behind the Chimeras)
Infantry Company
2x Shadowswords
2x Manticores
2x Warhounds
2x T'bolts

We didnt write up a full batrep, but the game ended in a 0-0 draw after turn 4.
On my side, I found the Gyros to be very solid as usual - probably my favourite unit for the price. One of my Overlords got into action and was deadly against the Regimental HQ with the 4BP IC. (first time they have survived long enough thanks to terrible shooting from the Shadowswords). I positioned and used my Land Train poorly - too cautious of what the Volcano Cannons would do to it. It mostly hid and fired the 4BP MW using Spotter with Gyros and Overlords, but failed to do any significant damage.
Of the rest - Bikes and Goliaths died before they could activate, and the Brotherhoods all failed enough activations to get themselves killed or be stuck at the wrong end of the board. AA didnt manage to kill any of the T'bolts. I've found the AA imbedded with Brotherhoods to be much more difficult to use effectively than standalone formations.
Paradox rolled poorly for his WE armour saves (and 3 crits killed a Warhound and Shadowsword) and couldnt hit anything with the volcano cannons. He made great use of his reach to kill off smaller formations and keep an activation advantage. It was a really close game and I think it could have gone either way if we'd played turn 5.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:28 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Anyone in contact with Elsaurio, please ask him to check his messages.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have several problems with this list. In no particularly order:

Hearthguard shouldn’t exist as they do. There isn’t really a purpose except to act like commissars, which is more of an IG thing. Instead bring back the stubborn rule as a bonus to rally and regroup universal.

Bring back hearth guard, as a terminator heavy unit add able to warrior units with a small detachment. Or as a separated unit that has the warlord inside. Its both fluffy and fills a niche in the army of needing a strong infantry unit that can tank wounds like nobs or ogryns.

Goliath needs something, maybe disrupt. Right now it is still just a bassie without a heavy bolter, less wounds, lower stats, can’t move, can be crited, and explodes when destroyed.

Flak AA upgrade, I don’t think the answer to it just put them on everything. It silly and basically means you can ignore all air attack if you want by min maxing them. We still have thunder fires. The models are huge up the range so they can cover more ground. Make it a WE with DC2. Also give the Overlord’s bolters AA 5+ or 6+.

Bring back the Iron Hawk Gyro, give it autocannons and AA point defense. Now you would have a ground attack only and a light ground attack with light AA. Not only gap filling, but also more interesting. Note the onslaught Grudd range has three copter coming we could look at mimicking one of these for fun.

Grand Warlord, warlord and Living Ancestor should have an invul and inspiring.