Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Squats: Thurgrimm Stronghold v1.5 DRAFT

Post subject: Re: Squats: Thurgrimm Stronghold v1.5 DRAFT
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

LOL

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Mosc, how is the list progressing?

I'm about to do a model swap with Sethanon and therefore will soon have a squat force of my own. I've played against it a few times in the last 12 months and also in previous versions of the epic game. Reading through the 1.5 list I have a few questions, some are raised earlier but can't tell if you've made a decision or in what direction you want us to go?

Finally before I get onto that, is this considered Developmental? I want to take it to Dobbsy's tournament in June so a confirmation of status would be great

Stats:
Goliath Mega Mega Cannon
- Stats are still missing

Rapier
- The range drop to 30cm makes this a difficult unit to use, the other rapier laser destroyers are 45cm At4+/AT6+ please consider this during the review. Consistency across weapon types I think is a good thing for Epic in general. I know it took a range hit in 40k but in epic and anti tank gun with 30cm range and no MW will get owned.

Tarantula
- As state previously, "normally" these would be TL Lascannon (45cm AT4+ or TL HB 30cm AP4+ w/+1 FF for the TLHB is a good balance), This would be my recommendation, and makes their shooting a bit more linear in effect. Currently 2x las cannon ones on a "sustained fire" are a bit OTT for their price.

Termite
- why does it need an armour and CC/FF stat? does it emerge before initiative and automatically turn into ruins and the units disembark (seems to contradict slightly with the tunnellers rules) or does it remain a unit until the unit disembarks? What happens if the Squats loose initiative and the termite unit is engaged in CC? If I counter charge I presume the unit is automatically ruins and thus the two stands get cover saves or does it fight in the enagement... Sethanon used these a couple of times and we found the rules a little clunky. A suggestion was to change it to "Termites do not cause a BM if they are destroyed for being out of coherency" - This would basically allow the squats to remain with their termites and gain a benefit of extra formation size, cover from their AV hulls and some limited support in a FF but should they choose to move away they are not unduly penalized - as they already suffer drop in units which makes them easier to break? thoughts? just seemed simpler to us.

Termite, Mole, Hellbore
- what can I actually transport, I presume all INF and LV with bikes/trikes and all support weapons counting as 2 slots, what about the warlord and his exo-armour buddies?

Overlord
-Sethanon and I didn't find this too bad, it did die in 1 or two of the games but it can lay the smack down. He managed to keep it somewhere where other threats caused a dilemma so I was either forced to deal with them or the overlord. I thinks it stats are close to the money, my only other thought to increase its durability if needed was to have another note in the support craft rule along the lines of:
"when any unit, that is not a flyer or skimmer or AA weapon system, draws a line of fire to a support craft it must add 10cm to the range when determining if it can shoot the support craft, this applies to standard shooting and fire fight attacks."
-Basically everything can still see it but it has some benefit gained by the height at which it can orbit the battle field and can levitate away from small arms etc. yet dedicated AA weapons would clearly be able to target it more effectively (bit net epic I know but I seems so much more practical)

Thunderfire
- I think the idea of attached tarantulas is great and to us makes a lot of sense "fluffwise" in that the Squats would be likely to use robots for mundane protection/guard duties more so that warriors.
- No issue with stats as yet, need more games with them.

Landtrain
- How is LOF and range drawn? from each car's weapon or any point of the WE?
- Does its Doomsday still get to fire indirect with a spotter?
- Is that rad bomb still a one shot? -not by the stats reference sheet, given the model is a single missile I'd prefer a 3B MW one shot or similar that can be fired off early before closing at speed to make use of the other cars. Presently it makes you want to stay still which means any other battle cars are potentially useless. Similarly the mortar is a bit meh as well but I see its down to 50pts. As a suggestion, could this and the thunderer on the colossus become the same weapon, effectively an indirect fire demolisher (or medusa) equivalent, eg 30cm AP3/AT4, IC, Indirect. Then it won't greatly disadvantage the landtrain engine when it fires its doomsday and can be used to make a more assault orientated landtrain using these and the berzerker and dragon cars
-In general I would like to use these more as I have 3 but they just don't seem as good as other options currently.

Rule: Spotter
- Once I have a spotter in range, can any Doomsday cannon fire at the "spotter's target":
-- A: indirectly (2x range and ignore LOS) or
-- B: it only gain the ability to ignore LOS, range is still 90cm?
(I ask because firstly the weapon looks like a short ranged assault gun, secondly 3BP, MW 180cm ignore LOS on the move is pretty damn good)
- Does the doomsday need this ability at all? Should spotter just apply to extant weapons with IF such as the plasma & doomstorm missiles, radbomb and mortar cars?

I hope some of that is useful, I hope to get another game with the list before July.

Cheers
Geoff

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Additionally, from a formatting perspective, I think the Grand-Warlord and living ancestor could move to the upgrades section of the list as essentially thats what they are.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lots of good questions and great comments. Many of the suggestions sound reasonable. I'm not going to be able to respond right now to anyone unfortunately.
1. It's the end of my Fiscal Year at work so we're in major wrap up mode.
2. My novel publishes in a matter of weeks, so I'm going to be focusing on that till mid-June.

Once it hits the market, I'll be able to get back into the swing of things. In the mean time, use the 1.4 list when in doubt.
Thanks for your patience!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not wishing to sound like a horrible, terrible nag, but is there any movement in these parts?

What can I say? I got a whole bunch of squats and I'm eager to get started! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

We like eager.

The list is basically complete and apart from some issues over the Thunderfire, Thunders and perhaps tunnellers the list could be approved today. I'd suggest having a game and give some feedback, it is always good to hear fresh views.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The problem is me. I have been occupied with other projects. Not an excuse: just an explanation.

Like Tim said, the 1.4 list is stable and in good shape. The 1.5 Draft had some ideas that I threw out to the public for testing; some were received well, some not so much.

I'll make it my goal to get the list fully tested and approved by December 31st, how does that sound?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
The problem is me. I have been occupied with other projects. Not an excuse: just an explanation.
<snip>
I'll make it my goal to get the list fully tested and approved by December 31st, how does that sound?

I'm still in the working out the minimum required assembly and painting for a usable army stage, but I'll do what I can to get some games in.

I appreciate the explanation, but please don't feel that one was at all necessary and please do not feel there is any problem - getting a "use this for now" answer is perfect for my purposes and all the information I need to continue building. If 1.4 is workable I'm happy to continue to work with it, so don't rush and don't put it ahead of any more important stuff. I appreciate the goal, though!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, I'm just starting to put together a Squat army and a friend is also playing Squats in a game this weekend. I have a few questions about the 1.5 list regarding transports:
1) Is the Mole treated as a separate formation, like the Hellbore? If not, what happens when my warriors move away - the EA rules would indicate the Mole is destroyed and the warriors get 2 blast markers?
2) If the Mole is part of the same formation as the Warriors and rolls a critical hit, that would break everyone, right (Mole and Warriors)?
3) Similarly, now that the Leviathan has moved to transport section, is it still treated as a separate formation or part of the same formation that it is transporting?
4) I'd love to see Thunderers as a separate formation - I think they are unlikely to appear in our games if they are only available as an upgrade to Warriors.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the game on Saturday and will hopefully be able to give an update on how it went.

cheers
taiaha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Doomkitten wrote:
Moscovian wrote:
<snip>

I'm still in the working out the minimum required assembly and painting for a usable army stage, but I'll do what I can to get some games in.

I'd suggest using some paper proxies in the mean time. I tend to do that for testing anyways as often I'm doing pants on head silly combinations or stress testing with combos I'd never do in real life so wouldn't have the models anyways.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would do that but getting someone else to learn the game so I can play when I only have paper tokens is... Difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've finally been able to get my Squats painted and to play a first test game with them.
My list
2 brotherhoods in rhinos
1 berzerker in Mites
1 biker unit (3trikes)
2 units of 4 iron eagles
1 overlord
1 thunderfirebattery with 4 warriors
1 goliath cannon battery
1 Cyclops

Went up against Space Marines

In my mind the list felt somewhat balanced but any infantry felt useless in a fight except to protect the gun line and hold objectives the size of the infantry blocks gave them survivability. Everything else felt like glass cannons. Hit like a ton of bricks but die to a stiff breeze.
Things I don't like.
Trikes - forcing us to mix AP and AT units in such a fragile package is not very nice. For me this makes the trike persona non grata in my future games. Why not just make them able to switch out any bike stand?
Thunderfire battery - the only shot these gus was able to fire were flak. First turn barrage killed one gun. And the remaining gun would never fire due to blastmarkers. I could have hid them in a forest and only used them as flak making the battlecannons useless. But that a lot of points for 2x 4+AA, and still susceptable to indirect. If place dso as to be able to fire it's battlecannons it dies really quickly. Please consider making them an upgrade to artillery batteries. I have no problem with the 0 movement. And why aren't they DC(2) they are as big as the goliath.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did a little check on the status of bike upgrades for some lists:

Space marine - may upgrade any bike stand to an attack bike
Orks - buys bikes or trikes freely
Eldars - may upgrade any jetbikes to vypers.

None of these lists force the players to mix AP/AT whats the reasoning for forcing squats?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:21 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Shoel wrote:
Trikes - forcing us to mix AP and AT units in such a fragile package is not very nice. For me this makes the trike persona non grata in my future games. Why not just make them able to switch out any bike stand?
The problem is the Guildmaster who is a lone stand and Light Vehicle. The trikes give him cover so that he is not snipped by the first AT shot. I find them very useful, but do often end up with only 1 or 2 units left as they are targeted for having the MW shot/FF.
Shoel wrote:
Thunderfire battery - the only shot these gus was able to fire were flak. First turn barrage killed one gun. And the remaining gun would never fire due to blastmarkers. I could have hid them in a forest and only used them as flak making the battlecannons useless. But that a lot of points for 2x 4+AA, and still susceptable to indirect. If place dso as to be able to fire it's battlecannons it dies really quickly. Please consider making them an upgrade to artillery batteries. I have no problem with the 0 movement. And why aren't they DC(2) they are as big as the goliath.
I agree that this is a unit/formation that still needs work on.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can I ask a quick question about the land train.

Is the doomsday cannon meant to be indirect fire?

Also I'm guessing the normal combined BP rules work so if you have both siege mortars and bomb car's you'd loose MW if you fired both in the same turn? Same if you add in the doomsday for a direct fire shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next