Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Tunneler Clarification

Post subject: Tunneler Clarification
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I posted something last week but pulled it because it needed some clarification.

One of my concerns is a debate centering around a Turn 2 tunneler arrival. As it stands, the tunneler rule allows for the arrival of the formation on the Squat half of the board. However, once the plotted point is revealed, you may place units within 15cm of that location.

If you were to plot a tunneler formation 1cm from the halfway mark on the table, the units could conceivably spill over into the opponent's side. Reasons for this might be driven by terrain, zone of control, or choice.

Should a Squat player have the choice to purposefully place his units over the halfway mark?
If given a choice between entering a ZoC of an enemy unit or crossing the halfway threshold, which should be chosen?

I thought best to field this now instead of when it became a bone of contention.

(Please remember that I didn't invent the tunneler rules; I merely clarified them for the Squat list).

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tunneler Clarification
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

what about adding the wording ...within 15cm of the location and on the appropriate half of the table.

thus ensuring if the unit arives in turn 2 they would have to stay on the owning player's side of the table and thus less contention

Last edited by Frosthammer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

What are you going by? The rulebook or the clarified rule in the TP? From the TP:

Quote:
Formations of multiple tunnelers need only record one location where they will surface. Place a unit at this location, or within 5cm of another unit that has already been placed, so long as all units are placed within 15cm of the location and on the appropriate half of the table

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
What are you going by? The rulebook or the clarified rule in the TP? From the TP:

Quote:
Formations of multiple tunnelers need only record one location where they will surface. Place a unit at this location, or within 5cm of another unit that has already been placed, so long as all units are placed within 15cm of the location and on the appropriate half of the table

the section about appropriate half of the table isnt in the tunneler rules under the current Thurgrimm list hence the possible contention

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rulebook, of course. The tourney clarification helps on one point, but still doesn't deal with the ZoC issue. There are going to be times where the plotted point puts Squats within the ZoC of the enemy. It is conceivable that a player may be forced to choose between which rule to break. If we go off the tournament package, you would be forcing players to enter the ZoC of an enemy formation. Not that I have a problem with it, but I do want to hammer it out now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i think the ZoC issue is covered by the part that states...
"If the tunneler surfaces on terrain that is impassable for it, under a friendly unit, or in an enemy zone of control then it is assumed that on-board sensor equipment will divert it towards another entry point. The unit should be moved by the opposing player to the nearest area where it can surface"

to me it implies if ur tunneler ends up in an enemy ZoC then it gets moved by the opposing player to the nearest available spot and would still have to be on the appropriate side of the table. thus the unit shouldnt end up in an enemy ZoC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It would be moved by the opposing player to the nearest point where it can enter. Here's the full copy:

Quote:
Formations where all of the units have Tunneler (or are transported in units that have the ability) may be kept off the table and can appear at the start of the second turn or after. Set up the units touching their own side’s table edge before the battle starts at the same time that spacecraft are setup (see EA 4.3.1). Any units transported in the tunneler should be placed to one side at this time too.
Secretly write down the location where the tunneler will surface at the same time and in the same manner that you record the coordinates of a drop zone (see EA 4.3.1). You must also secretly record when the tunneler will surface. If it is going to surface in your half of the table it may arrive from the second turn onwards. If it is going to surface in the opposing half of the table, it may arrive from turn three onwards.
Set up the tunneler at the start of the stated turn, before placing units with teleport, at the location you wrote down. Any units being transported are allowed to disembark immediately upon surfacing. Surfacing does not count as movement for the purposes of triggering overwatch fire. Disembarking triggers overwatch fire as normal.
If the tunneler surfaces on terrain that is impassable for it, under a friendly unit, or in an enemy zone of control then it is assumed that on-board sensor equipment will divert it towards another entry point. The unit should be moved by the opposing player to the nearest area where it can surface.
Formations of multiple tunnelers need only record one location where they will surface. Place a unit at this location, or within 5cm of another unit that has already been placed, so long as all units are placed within 15cm of the location and on the appropriate half of the table.
Tunnelers, and any units being transported in them, may take an action on the turn they appear.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What is this 'tournament pack' of which you speak? It bodes of dark magic I say!

Okay, I probably should have looked in there first, being I'm on the ERC, but I didn't think we covered the tunnelers in that detail. Glad I'm wrong!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]