Login |  Register |  FAQ

Adeptus Arbites

Post subject: Adeptus Arbites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've just had a quiet few days at work and knocked together an Adeptus Arbites list to use mainly for scenario play. I wasn't going to place it in the NetEA developmental list area as it is barely a fully fledged army and is only really suitable for having as an allied force when defending a precinct blockhouse or similar.

Just a few notes before it gets ripped apart-

The list was designed to have plenty of disrupt weapons to represent the non lethal dispersion weapons that the Arbites may use (nets, bolas launchers, choke grenades etc). Currently it is represented by a short ranged attack that the standard Arbites Patrol units have, but I was considering making it part of their firefight attack instead. Likewise I had considered adding it to the Shock Troops close combat attack, but this may be overkill.

Other things I had considered was adding ignore cover to the Arbites grenade launcher attack and also creating a different variant of the Valkyrie without the rocket pods, or maybe dropping it in favour of the Arvus. Also adding in some 'deputised' hive gang militia could enable it to almost be a stand alone army.

Any input to help develop the flavour of this list or tweak points values would be greatly appreciated.

------------*Update v1.3*--------------
Attachment:
Adeptus Arbites Precinct Defense List v1.3.pdf [264.15 KiB]
Downloaded 879 times

-Updated various stats and points costs.
-Split the Tarantula Sentry Guns into seperate units to allow for varied FF values. Added melta variant. Added as a formation upgrade. Removed fearless rule.
-Suppression Teams now have 5+CC.
-Increased patrol size. New formation costs worked out against the Steel Legion stormtrooper formation as a baseline. Added Proctor character as part of the core units of most infantry formations.
-Changed Uprising formation size. Not sure on this yet.
-Added smaller patrol formation in the support choices list.
-Added roadblocks and fortified structures to help funnel vehicles.
I'm going to leave doing any more changes or updates to this until it has been tested, unless someone spots something vital I have missed.

------------*Update v1.2*--------------
-Updated the Repressor to use the same stats as the Orders Militant Adepta Sororitas list for cohesion.
-Tweaked the Shock Troops stats and renamed them to Suppression Teams.
-Added the 'Commander' special rule to proctors.
-Added mortiurge character. (Basically a sanctioned assassin the Arbites use to silence vocal dissenters)
-Added civilian uprising formation and an instigator type character for them.
-Added limits on purchasing support style formations.

Last edited by tc63 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Adeptus Arbites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the formations are to small and breaks to easily. Make both patrols and bikes 6 units each.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fair one. As it stands though the patrols can be reinforced as a player likes and I had anticipated most people doing so or adding transports to them to make them up to 6 units. The bikes would need it though you are right. I had done a little reading on the Arbites and teams operate in up to 20 man squads apparently, hence the 4 unit formation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:02 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Agreed, those core (non tarantula) formations need to go to 6. Keep in mind you wouldn't have to have 5 figures per base, so 40k numbers do not have to be divided by 5 to get stand numbers in epic.

I like the militia idea.

I'd add Execution teams as a formation, not just an upgrade (4 stands with scouts as a formation).

Could add some sort of 'pacification' vehicle patrol formation with disrupt sonic/microwave weaponry.

Last edited by Apocolocyntosis on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:18 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Also, moving this to the army list development sub forum!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the execution team formation idea, in fact it better fits the 'fluff' of them being used to chase down criminals in the wastes etc. I've changed them to a stand alone formation, but kept them as an upgrade too for now, with a slight points increase.

I've tried adding the militia as a formation, but to be honest its a bit boring and just a bunch of FF only infantry with no armour and 6+ CC and FF. I've for now added them as an upgrade to the core formation, but giving them the expendable special rule to represent the rabble being 'directed' towards the enemy by the Arbites. This could actually make the formations quite a lot more durable, being able to absorb a lot more casualties before breaking, but once the Arbites themselves start taking casualties they will quickly run away. I've limited them to 6 militia units, as any more and I'd think its quite abusable. They will also slow down a formation, being unable to be transported. That said, if the Arbites have purchased transports they can always drive off and leave the civilians to run away without their guidance due to the expendable rule.

This list isn't in any way designed for tournament play, it really isn't expected to do well in a sustained engagement. I agree the bikes need to be 6 as they cannot get any upgrades to increase thier unit size, but I have kept the Patrol formation as it is for now as they have the options to increase size up to 10 Arbites units and/or add up to 6 Miltia units and/or add transports to increase the formation size and breaking point. I especially wanted the Valkyrie bourne Snatch Squads to be fairly fragile to limit their effectiveness. The list isn't going to have a chance against a dedicated military invading the planet, especially when it comes to WE etc, but they may slow them down a little.

Attachments:
Adeptus Arbites Precinct Defense List V1.1.pdf [228.64 KiB]
Downloaded 542 times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

this would be a sweet list to use in a scenario game, an armageddon theme, orcs attacking a live with guard defenders with support from Arbites and hive gangs,

great fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i like it and the theme! (maybe because i have some cool arbites proxies lying around and never found a list to use them suitably ;D )
still some units appear a bit too powerful statwise. saves of 4+ or 5+, cc of 4+ or 5+, ff of 4+ or 5+, disrupt weapons.. mhmm.. looks pretty sm or stormtrooper like. arbites should not be that tough or combat skilled i'd say. maybe drop most stats by a point? it would still make them better then the common imperial soldier.
also the activation number of a possible list is crazy high atm. you could put together a whole army out of tarantulas.. (30 actvations for your standard 3k game)
I agree that the unit number and cost in the core formation needs to go up..
i like the scout ability on the cyber mastiff! imagining some cyborged dogs sniffing out the enemy.. 8)

will be watching out for this one.

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You might want to take a read through this for some ideas and units / concepts / etc. They seem to be thematic opposites
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=20634

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@johnboyire Agreed, I'm making a Precinct stronghold terrain piece and thought it would be cool to have some guys to defend it!

@Graf_Spee Cheers! Likewise I also have some suitable proxies and wanted to find a good way to field them. In terms of the stats I have indeed based them off the stormtrooper stats and points values from the Steel Legion list, but with slightly worse AT value to give them disrupt (I could remove the AT value entirely though?). In wargear terms they share carapace armour and similarly effective weapons (bolters/shotguns vs hot shot lasguns) and combat training wise they come from the same stock of the Schola Progenium. The 4+ armour on the shield guys is to make up for their lack of firefight/ranged attack and represent their shield wall. I could maybe reduce it to the same save as the standard guys but give their CC the disrupt ability to further force the dispersion theme, but thought it may be a bit much. I don't want to drop their stats too much as part of the theme is to have small formations that pack a decent punch but will crumble when faced with serious military threats, hence a general lack of AT and inability to withstand too many blastmarkers without lots of Marshaling (which is where their special rule comes in). Maybe I could play more with their 'Hold the Line' rule and make it inherent to all formations regardless of a Proctor, or maybe tweak the action itself so they do not suffer a -1 on their shooting when Marshaling?

Agreed about the activation count. I could make a large patrol core formation that allows smaller ones to be fielded, but really the list shouldn't be used to create an entire 3k list on it's own but more as an allied force. Looking at other EpicUK lists you can abuse many of them (30 activations of boarboyz for example) but people don't tend to do so if they want an enjoyable army to play.

@jimmyzimms Thanks for that, some pretty interesting ideas in there, could make for a good match up.

My thoughts when approaching this list were as follows:

-Small activations due to being an elite paramilitary police force rather than a standing army.

-To combat this they should have good/interesting methods of reducing blastmarkers, hence the 'Hold the Line' rule to encourage Marshaling and now the addition of the Deputised Militia.

-A lack of AT.

-A high number of disrupt attacks to help break enemies, but keep it short ranged and generally ineffective at outright killing.

-Based off stormtroopers as they are the common 'counts as' for Arbites in 40k.

-Making people play them differently to fully fledged armies by making them fairly reliant on the Marshall action to stick around. I want them to encourage a different kind of playstyle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can I just say that being a big Judge Dredd fan I’m loving the idea of this (let’s be honest Megacity 1 is basically a spire and the Judges would fit in the 40k universe!)
I would love to get a list together and it wouldn’t take too much converting either.

although the below list was just thrown together while I was at work (the Tarantula may end up being left behind, freeing up another 400pts) I love the thematic aspect of it!

Sector House 301 – 3005pts (11 activations)

Sector House Staff (Patrol) – 705 pts
7 x Arbite Patrol, 3 x Shock Trooper (Reinforced Patrol) + Cyber Mastiffs + Hunters + 5 x Rhinos + Judge (Dredd)

Sector House Automated Defenses (Tarantula) – 100 pts
4 x AA

4 x AA

4 x AT

4 x AT

Mounted Patrol – 200 pts
6 x Bikes

Mounted Patrol – 200 pts
6 x Bikes

Manta Patrol 30184 (Snatch Squad) – 275 pts
2 x Mantas (Valkyries), 3 x Arbite Patrol, 1 x Shock Trooper, Proctor (Judge Castello)

Manta Patrol 30101 (Snatch Squad) – 225 pts
2 x Mantas (Valkyries), 4 x Arbite Patrol

Manta Patrol 30164 (Snatch Squad) – 275 pts
2 x Mantas (Valkyries), 3 x Arbite Patrol, 1 x Shock Trooper, Proctor (Judge Warren)

Manta Patrol 30188 (Snatch Squad) – 225 pts

Manta Patrol 30116 (Snatch Squad) – 275 pts
2 x Mantas (Valkyries), 3 x Arbite Patrol, 1 x Shock Trooper, Proctor (Judge Giant)

Manta Patrol 30197 (Snatch Squad) – 225 pts

I'm envisioning this force to working together, no one formation has the staying power, but if everything doubles up and combine assaults this could be tough!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@BigJulius666-
Glad to have captured your imagination! I had the same thoughts with regards to using the list to combine assault etc.

I've updated the list, please see the original post for updates and the latest version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One thing I have just noticed, might want to give the Espionist Teleport, unless its intentional that if one is taken the unit cannot...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I believe, being a character, that the espionist will simply add his own rules and attacks to the base unit. So much the same as attaching a chaplain to a unit of terminators, the militia unit wouldn't lose its native teleport rule. I did however forgot to remove the 'hold the line' rule from the espionist, he's not meant to have it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like how the Hold the Line (aka Captain Kirrahe rule ;) ) is based on character presence. I think that paramilitary armies in EA being character driven (or more so) than your more typical force is a good approach, design-wise.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!