Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Adeptus Ministorum Orders Militant v1.3

Post subject: Re: Adeptus Ministorum Orders Militant v1.3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It's definitely got some Stuka-like qualities to go with the A-10-like qualities. However, neither of the inspirations are really Fighter-Bombers; they're both pure Close Air Support. Neither could stand up to contemporary Fighter/Interceptors - the Stuka in particular was so vulnerable that as soon as Germany lost air superority they were easy pickings.

To be clear, I don't view the Avenger as a replacement for the Marauder, but its capabilities overlap enough with the Marauder's that it's an either/or choice. One is a tactical medium bomber, one is CAS, but both perform close-in support of the troops.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Have the book now.

The Avenger Bolt Cannon is just a Multi-laser on steroits with better AP (power armour is no protection against it) and more than double the shots.
30cm 2 x AP5+/AT6+ seems ok.

The Avenger has a front armour of 12. That's the same as Valkyries, Vultures and Thunderhawks. But only 2 Hull Points (everythjing else has at least 3 excluding the Lightning) and only armour 10 for sides and rear.
It is armed with the Avenger Bolt Cannonm, two Lascannons and a Heavy Stubber.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had another game last night, against orks, went to turn 4 without a clear victor. I had Take & Hold in the end but all the other objectives were still up for grabs. Vps handed the orks the victory 1000vps to ~700.
The orks took a very patient/shooty stance, waiting for me to take the fight to them. They were also quite clever with deployment keeping the GG till last and garrisoning the Uge warband on overwatch till I foolishly crossed the soopaguns path.
I had huge problems dealing with the war engines even with 2-3 turns firing the exorcists at mostly full effect at the great GG(full t1, sustain with hunter suppresed t2 and sustain with hunter & 1 exorcist supp t3) sure with the help of the Warhounds I took it down to 7 DC after the 9 pfs but the orks wouldn't let me bring a combined assault to bear(the aforementioned death by OW soopaguns) though they were happy enough assulting me with it in support. Killed all but 1 DC of the Stompamob though it hurt to do it.

Dominions Fm was deployed out of position at the start so played no part in tackling the WEs, they did as expected where I used them, will pick a more central deployment next time.
I can see why single Warhounds are so valued at tournaments.
'Faithful' saved my bacon on multiple occasions, the orks broke almost all or my sororitas FMs at least once but fearless kept me in the game, my saves were shocking as usual so the inv save rarely played any part. The Fearless till next activation did cause my opponent some irritation but his WE(and the mob rule used by the GG) caused me similar levels of irritation.

Sisters List
Code:
Sororitas Mission: Heroine, Dominions, 2 J immolators & 4 Rhinos
Sororitas Mission: Heroine, Supreme Commander, 1 J immolator & 4 Rhinos
Seraphim Choir: Heroine
Exorcism Battallion: Hunter
Repentia Confessional: 3 Rhinos
Dominion Recon: Heroine, Dominions, 2 J immolators, 1 repressor, Rhino
Mobile Sanctuary
Warhound
Warhound

Rough approx of Ork List
Code:
Great Gargant
Uge Warband: Multiple soopagunz
Stormboyz Warhorde
Kult of Speed(Warbikes)
Kult of Speed(Warbikes)
Uge Blitz Brigade: All Gunwagonz, 2 Soopagunz
Mekboy Stompamob: 1 Stopma & 1 Supa-Stompa
Fighta Sqwadron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all.

I'm currently in the process of formalising the list for the Epic: Hive supplement, and I've got a couple of thoughts I want to discuss.

The Hunter: Should it really be in the list? It does jar a little, I have to admit. There are 3 alternatives I can think of:

1) No ground based AA, merely reliant on Lightning/Avenger support
2) A new vehicle, ala the Banisher from Lord I's old list
3) 6+ AA (and a price bump) on Exorcists

Emperor's Chapels: Are they a bit underpriced/overpowered?

Repentia Mistress: Is she strictly neccessary? She's basically a sergeant equivilent now.

Battle Conclave: Is it worth including? Would death cult assassins and crusaders add anything at all to the list? Maybe one unit representing all three units?

Redemptionists: How can we make them worth taking?

Avenger: Stats?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Hunter: I have no problem with it in the list but if you feel it necessary I wouldn't bemoan it's loss too much. I would hate to see 3) as that would likely also need a fm size change(to avoid 5 x AA6+) and also paint a huge target on them which already happens to a certain extent as they're the only real AT in the list. It currently works quite nicely as a method to add resilience to the exorcists.

Emperor's Chapels: They are nasty in a firefight, no doubt there, it's compareable to the Chaos decimator but not as powerful in shooting and has a worse initiative value(in testing this has caused me problems). They seem cheap to me but not overpowered.

Repentia Mistress: My repentia have been blasted to pieces most games but that said the mistress has never made a difference whether she made combat or not. Some form of Leader would be nice to recover from those frequent times they get shot to pieces but if removing the mistress makes them cheaper that'd be nice too.

Battle Conclave: No opinion here, can't think how they'd be different from Repentia/Redemptionists

Redemptionists: just a suggestion but adding heavy flamers would make me take them. They're in the same price bracket as Militia Scout and the Lightnings but IMO are less useful than either.

Avenger: As a tank hunter I would enjoy using these, backed up by lightnings but would look to others for the stats.

Last edited by CaptainSenioris on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

new sister stuff inbound:

280002330140207 Sisters of Battle Canoness with Power Axe RE c01 Len_A 02 cc
280000211440200 Sisters of Battle Seraphim / Patronica Squad PL a14 Len_A 02 cc
280000111440201 Sisters of Battle Battle Sisters PL a14 Len_A 02 cc
280000411840206 Sisters of Battle Exorcist / Catafalque of Sins PL a18 Len_A 02 cc
281047530110208 Imperial Agents Obsideo Assassin RE c01 Len_B 02 cc
281049111440209 Imperial Agents Deathwatch Kill Team PL a14 Len_A 02 cc
281049230140202 Imperial Agents Deathwatch Librarian RE c01 Len_A 02 cc
280002430140206 Sisters of Battle Prioress Lazarea Verata RE c01 Len_A 02 cc
280002230140208 Sisters of Battle Sister Superior Magdalenia RE c01 Len_A 02 cc
280000330740205 Sisters of Battle Repentia Squad RE b07 Len_A 02 cc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm taking that list with a massive spoonful of salt.

Assuming it's true however, there are likely two new unit types: Patronica Squad and Catafalque of Sins

If so, cool, especially the Catafalque (whatever it is), as the sisters definitely need more vehicles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm certainly interested to see what they do with them in 40k, these new allies rules are quite clever, makes me itch to get that unit or two from another army to make the game more interesting.

Care to share your thoughts on any other changes zombo? For instance Priests still seem expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What do you suggest? 25 points is too cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Figter/Bomber Ar 5+ FF - CC -

Avenger Cannon 30cm 2x AP4+/AT5+, FxF
Twin Lascannon 30cm AT4+/AA5+, FxF
Heavy Stubber 15cm AA6+, Rear

BL's suggestion to drop the Avenger Cannon to 2x AP5+/AT6+ would be another option, though one I don't like personally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm thinking 2xAP5+/AT5+. I know the 40k stats might not quite support it, but background wise it's an anti tank plane.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My thoughts are probably best shown by having a look at the formations they're available for.

The Fraternis Militia are essentially a Guard Infantry Co with the guard commander stripped out, for a 25pt discount, in most circumstances they would likely also have a commisar for free. The Fraternis Militia formation with a priest(identical to a commisar in every way) is more expensive than the Guard Infantry Co and is less effective without the commander stand.

The redemptionist crusade is probably the only formation this upgrade is well suited to but the reason you should use them is because they're a cheap activation, the upgrade makes them less so.

The mobile sanctuary already has fearless but isn't inspiring so the priest helps slightly, the MW attack in CC is hardly worth mentioning.

The reverent fury already has inspiring and fearless so the priest upgrade provides almost zero benefit.

I also find it difficult to justify taking a Cardinal over a Canoness either as they're either likely to paint a giant target on a WE formation or end up in a soft infantry formation lacking the benefits of both power armour and an invulnrable save.

Last edited by CaptainSenioris on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

zombocom wrote:
I'm thinking 2xAP5+/AT5+. I know the 40k stats might not quite support it, but background wise it's an anti tank plane.

That was actually my seconfd favorite option after the qouted one. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like how it reminds you of the assault cannon stats...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:

An A-10 tankbuster is also an anti-tank plane... but that doesn't mean its Avenger cannon won't turn infantry to goo as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next